Drawing strategy lines

Don't you wish you could draw strategic lines outside of global view?

• I sure do! This would make my life so much easier!

Votes: 87 46.3%
  • I guess it would be a nice addition if it was ever implemented.

Votes: 50 26.6%
  • Neh, it's fine as it is.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Huh, what are you talking about?

Votes: 36 19.1%

• Total voters

Grimus

I
So, who really wishes you could draw "strategic" lines without having to zoom out to global view? Signs can be laid out thankfully without having to zoom out, but why not sketching lines too? It would help me exremely and I would get less of a headache planning out city spots.

You can barely see the grid even when in global view, it's very hard to draw in it.

So, who really wishes you could draw "strategic" lines without having to zoom out to global view? Signs can be laid out thankfully without having to zoom out, but why not sketching lines too? It would help me exremely and I would get less of a headache planning out city spots.

You can barely see the grid even when in global view, it's very hard to draw in it.

I totally agree with you, zooming in and out while showing/hiding resources takes more time than it should.

Being able to draw when zoomed in would be brilliant!
I actually didn't know you could place signs without zooming out :blush: That's going to save me a lot of time from now on.

You sure can! It's great: Alt+S... I use it all the time.

Thanks for that. Now I can make a sign to remind me to use signs more often, usually I plan out the whole countryside in my head then forget where the next city should go. :blush:

I voted yes to the lines.

Maybe we could bully solver into making a patch for us with that in it? Or add that to the other one? :scan:

Back in Vanilla I used to be able to see the tiles separated by black lines (when showing the grid) in strategy layer. But in Warlords and BtS the tiles blend into each other and the strategy layer is completely useless to me. No idea why, though.

What I'd really love to have, is a city fat-cross stamp. I drop it in where I plan to settle a city, and it draws the fat-cross strategy line for me. :D

What I'd really love to have, is a city fat-cross stamp. I drop it in where I plan to settle a city, and it draws the fat-cross strategy line for me. :D

I thought along the same lines, and let's imagine now you could 'stamp' various city locations and then still move them around to adjust and try out different approaches.

Can you believe I only realised you could draw lines a few days ago? I've known about the landmarks, and haven't used them at all. But I just stumbled across the line drawing... not sure I'll be using that either. ;)

:blush: Frimlin, don't feel bad - I learned you could draw lines about 45 seconds ago, as I read this post...

Anyone with time feel like taking a few seconds to mention how this works? I'm at work now, and don't have access to BtS to just jump in and play with it to figure it out...

:blush: Frimlin, don't feel bad - I learned you could draw lines about 45 seconds ago, as I read this post...

Anyone with time feel like taking a few seconds to mention how this works? I'm at work now, and don't have access to BtS to just jump in and play with it to figure it out...

Zoom out to the world view, there will be a button right above the minimap called "Show strategy layer" - click it, and the rest should be pretty self-explanatory. It will allow you to draw lines on the map with the mouse. It's useful for dotmapping, planning the movements of your stacks and such.

Back in Vanilla I used to be able to see the tiles separated by black lines (when showing the grid) in strategy layer. But in Warlords and BtS the tiles blend into each other and the strategy layer is completely useless to me. No idea why, though.

THAT is an awesome idea my friend... because I'd pretty much be doodling ugly fat crosses anyway or highlighting unworked squares.

I'd also appreciate a nice color palette with that. :)
Around 20 colors will be fine for me

There should also be a way to draw a straight line, like in paint. You could just click point A and drag to point B and whammo, instant straight line. The curvy lines that I draw manually get on my nerves. Does anybody else get annoyed by their manual line drawing or am i just :crazyeye: ?

Both are FANTASTIC ideas. I support them 100%.

Line drawing in normal view - YES
City fat-cross stamper - YES

I'd like to add my vote for these great ideas too. Firaxis listen up!

There should also be a way to draw a straight line, like in paint. You could just click point A and drag to point B and whammo, instant straight line. The curvy lines that I draw manually get on my nerves. Does anybody else get annoyed by their manual line drawing or am i just :crazyeye: ?

Lol, when I draw lines with a mouse it looks like a 2-year-old did it. :lol: Unless I whip out my drawing tablet. :cool:

Perhaps a good idea would be if you could hold down shift or something while drawing lines to restrict your lines to orthogonal paths.

Top Bottom