1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Drawing strategy lines

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Grimus, Aug 13, 2007.

?

Don't you wish you could draw strategic lines outside of global view?

1. I sure do! This would make my life so much easier!

87 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. I guess it would be a nice addition if it was ever implemented.

50 vote(s)
    26.6%
  3. Neh, it's fine as it is.

15 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Huh, what are you talking about?

36 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. sneaky

sneaky Chieftain

I have been praying for this since the beginning. Why can't we draw some lines in normal view and use different colors? A stamp would be even better. Isn't this something that could perhaps be modded?

2. Grimus

Grimus I

Choosing colors for different teams may be a nice feature too if ever implemented. I know when playing against/as Bismark or Elizabeth, I can never see their borders!! Especially if it's underneath heavily forested areas or jungle. Very minor thing though, and is only an annoyance at the very beginning of the game when exploring. :)

3. Backpack

Backpack Chieftain

Here Here -
    I vote for a 'City Fat Cross Stamp' (Zoom or no zoom - If I have this I dont care if I can do it while zoomed in - Also: BONUS It will teach people who NEVER come to these forums how to dot-map their city strategy).

Honestly, that's when I am trying to draw straight lines anyway.

On the Straight line issue, I could take it or leave it.

On the different color issue,
    I don't want 20 colors, I just want two colors. My civ color and Black. That should be doable even in multiplayer.

Thanks

4. Jabarto

Jabarto Chieftain

I'd never even heard of this concept before reading this thread, but it sounds kinda nifty. File me under the "it'd be nice" category.

5. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Why? Are you talking about team games and wanting each player in a team to have their own colour?

6. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

Let's say it is a multiplayer game. 3v3.

I'm playing as genghis khan. So my civ color is Brown.
    My teamate is playing as bismark. soo his civ color is white.
    My other teamate is playing as the japanese so his civ color is Red.

The line colors are restricted to your civs colors. If we had a pallet then we'd be mixing up our lines, blaming someone else for "your lines go through my territory!!!" and etc. It would be very annoying. So i'd prefer it to be only available to singal player.

7. Grimus

Grimus I

There can just be a toggle button I suppose for that problem. You'd press a button combination to toggle between:

1. viewing no strategic lines
    2. viewing "your" strategic lines
    3. viewing "all" strategic lines

That way you don't have to put up with your teammates crappy artwork. :) Especially if they start to get silly with it.

8. Timos

Timos Chieftain

So does anybody know why it's so difficult to see the grid when you zoom out on BTS? It so much worse than in Vanilla that it is unuseable and seems like a bug.

9. Grimus

Grimus I

A good question. :)

That's one of the big reasons why I wish to draw strategic lines at my normal, gaming view... or at least less zoomed-out.

10. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

I would love lines around tiles for when I'm expanding at the start game, for city placement...

using "markers" would be nice too, so I know where to focus troop deployment or resource targeting as well...

why neither has ever been implemented is my only consistent complaint on Civ design over the years...

11. Lurking Liu

Lurking Liu Chieftain

Meh... I never feel I need straight lines. The badly drawn ones just make me feel like John Madden...

12. Elros

Elros Paranoid Android

For some reason my lines are allergic to mountains. Whenever I'm drawing the cross I always swerve to avoid mountains without realising it, which gets very confusing.

13. MarkM

MarkM Cow Herder

I second (third? fourth? fifth?) that!

14. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

Oh yes, this needs to be in, along with the colour pallette idea.

15. mudfoot

mudfoot Tytlal

This is the single most enjoyable (important) reason for browsing the forum:
    You always learn something new!

Oh and the stamp thing: YES, please! (color palette or some kind of labeling or numbering would be great too)

16. PieceOfMind

In general the new features people care about in new games are the new/changed units, new civics, new culture system, new diplomacy etc. etc. all the things that make it a new or changed game. Issues of ergonomics, interface usability, information accessibility etc. tend to take a back seat. Firaxis are not all bad in these regards but we put up with what we have because we don't know any better. I actually applaud Firaxis for taking steps like putting in the Tile Yield display. These are the exact sort of things one needs to make access to information easier. Another example is their enthusiastic adoption of the Exotic Foreigh Advisor mod which introduced more readable screens into the Foreign Advisor screen.

There are so many ways to improve the ergonomics of using this game. The reason people take so many hours playing the game is about half because of decision making and about half because of function accessing and screen scrolling etc. Things like markers and stamps are little things which would do a lot to improve usability of this game. (When I talk about markers I mean markers which can be referenced in things like goto orders and the like - not just the static labels we have now.)

Even something which is traditionally a bit RTS-ish, the ability to select units by dragging a box around them, would be surprisingly useful.

17. 50_dollar_bag

50_dollar_bag Imitation Louis Vuitton

One thing I'd like to add in that vein is finding your warriors or archers in the Renaissance/Industrial age, it's by then I'm thinking about upgrading my garrison or changing out of Hereditary Rule so I can reduce my garrison sizes. I either want to delete them to reduce upkeep costs or if I have a vassal, gift them and let them upgrade them.
    Right now the only thing I know is going into the military advisor screen and it highlights them in the world map but it won't wake them. Is there and easier way?

18. PieceOfMind

I don't belive there is.

And thank you. This is definitely one of the things I'm talking about where a task which should be quite simple can be quite tedious in practice. Implementing a select-all-units-of-same-type function would not be difficult but we're unlikely to see it unless there is increased demand for it.

19. Aramil799

Aramil799 Chieftain

What I do is that in the Military Advisor screen, when you highlight say all archer units, you can click on one section of the map and go to it. Then I simply press Alt over the upgrade promotion as normal.

Still, it would be faster to do things the way you describe, and wouldn't have any drawbacks I can think of, so I'm for it.

To stop getting off-topic, the fat-cross-stamp and strategy lines suggestions are even more important. I'd find the most use for the fat cross stamp, but anything in that vein would help.