Dream starting position

Alexfrog

Warlord
This would be the most rediculous start, imo:

Settle on a plains hill which contains gold, gems, or silver, and is adjacent to a river, with a financial leader. This city tile produces 2F/2P/3C. Plus you get river health and hill defense.

Within the city cross, there is an Oasis.

This is the best possible income at the very start, providing a total of 5F/2P/6C + 8C from the palace. Ideally, the city would then also contain a food resource, another gold hill, and a strategic resource of your choice (Stone, Marble, Horses or Copper), depending on your desired strategy, as well as some forest spaces and a moderate amount of flood plains.

Imagine the Hall of Fame scores you could go for if you luck into this :)

Settling on a gold would be a waste. I'd rather settle on a plains hill with marble, and have the gold in your BFC.

Settling on a gold would be a waste. I'd rather settle on a plains hill with marble, and have the gold in your BFC.

Ooh, does marble work too! That would be even better!

Marble wouldn't give you the extra coin off the bat, but would hive an extra hammer. So settling on a plains river marble gives 2F3H2C.

i once had a map that was 2 gold, stone, 2 corn, clam, and solid production hills, on a river. marble was in my 2nd city. i ended up getting overran though lol.

another time i had 2 gold, 2 corn, marble, and copper, on a river with good production hills. i was willem of england. i did pretty good but ended up losing. it was on emperor though.

one thing i have noticed is not only do u need a good starting location, but the area around has to be good too. i just found a really good starting location but i dont even wanna play it cause everything around it sucks.

On a custom game with a Mediterranean map made from the tectonics script, there can be ridiculous starts where a Civ starts off with access to 4 fish/crab and plenty of hills. Not to mention often you will get another source to go along with. All that food allows for an immense population and an easy time recruiting workers and settlers while still utilizing the 2 commerce on each tile. Great start that occurs quite frequently on this particular map script.

While that is not likely to be a "dream" starting position, it remains a quite powerful starting position.

I thought this one was rather good. Beste one tile of the coast capital ever. :)
1 corn, 3 cows and 2 gold.

Attachments

• goodstart.JPG
    goodstart.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 820
There once were a thread about great starting places around these parts, one had four gems in the BFC (three river gems), two corn and one cow. He was playing the Romans, and had iron nearby. Instant win, just add water.

I once had a riverside start with five gems, a cow, and copper, playing as Ragnar. I've never seen anything like it since...

A moderately awesome start: :D

Spoiler :

What did I do? I quit and restarted :lol: because I had played the English in my previous game and wanted someone else (I play random everything)

:p

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 727
You could have saved it and played it later, when you didn't mind playing as the English again. Ah well.

Either way you're losing out. It's not a good idea to create a city on any resource if you don't have to. You'll get far more out of them by building the appropriate improvement for them.

I thought this one was rather good. Beste one tile of the coast capital ever. :)
1 corn, 3 cows and 2 gold.

You have three useless ocean squares though. If you would have moved to that Grassland Hill just south of the city you have lost nothing and gained some useful inland tiles instead of having those. In fact you would have gained yet another Gold resource.

Gain 3 forest, 1 gold, 1 hill tiles for 1 cow, 1 wheat, 3 coast tiles. Hmm. I'd probably just go with Athens as is. Really depends on the overall game strategy, but that kind of food/prod/comm rich capitol should really overwhelm in the early game. Moving away from the 3 coast tiles would be a more important consideration for later.

Gain 3 forest, 1 gold, 1 hill tiles for 1 cow, 1 wheat, 3 coast tiles. Hmm. I'd probably just go with Athens as is. Really depends on the overall game strategy, but that kind of food/prod/comm rich capitol should really overwhelm in the early game. Moving away from the 3 coast tiles would be a more important consideration for later.

Yeah right. I missed losing those food tiles.

This would be the most rediculous start, imo:

Settle on a plains hill which contains gold, gems, or silver, and is adjacent to a river, with a financial leader. This city tile produces 2F/2P/3C. Plus you get river health and hill defense.

Within the city cross, there is an Oasis.

This is the best possible income at the very start, providing a total of 5F/2P/6C + 8C from the palace. Ideally, the city would then also contain a food resource, another gold hill, and a strategic resource of your choice (Stone, Marble, Horses or Copper), depending on your desired strategy, as well as some forest spaces and a moderate amount of flood plains.

Imagine the Hall of Fame scores you could go for if you luck into this :)

Murphys Law: The rest of your tiles are desert tiles, your river is 3 spaces long. your neighbors are Augustus, Pericles, Catherine and Ragnar. oh, and Augustus popped iron working from a hut the turn after researching bronze working.

edit - then he traded cathy iron work for horseback riding, and ragnar iron work for archery, and pericles iron working for priesthood. now they are all friends...

My latest game I had a good enough start in place, but found if I settled 1W I picked up two more food resources the game didn't intend without losing anything! So my capital has two irrigated corn, three clams, grassland cows, and two lighthouse-boosted freshwater lakes. :lol:

Top Bottom