Dreams of Machu Picchu

steveg700

Deity
Boy, it would be nice to be able to build Machu Picchu one day, rather than have to conquer whichever AI civ has it.

Anyone here ever gotten it? The AI must really beeline Engineering, because it's plain to see them halfway done as I'm just getting into Engineering. I can have three builders lining up to chop for Magnus, and they all get dismissed when the tech finally unlocks and it's not in the queue anymore.

Anybody had luck with this? I'm not sure if all AI civ's follow a similar beeline, but certainly the required is so lax that it's easy for many civ's to attempt it. Not like they were going to build something else over that mountain.

I've built it, but I play King difficulty. But even then it's a very popular wonder that goes quickly. My impression is that the AI likes to build it even if they don't have that many mountain tiles that can provide adjacency.

I'm unsure if I've built the Meenkashi Temple, it also goes fast. Don't mind though, trash wonder.

Once. On a freak map where almost everyone I met started off with very few mountains. It's a fun wonder to have so it's definitely one of the ones I wish the AI didn't prioritize so hard. :/

Makes me wonder if it might need to have its requirement tightened up a bit.

Not sure how though. Maybe a minimum population?

Never built it on Deity as it goes too soon. I'd rather go after the Pyramids and/or Colosseum early on if I'm going to prioritize a wonder.

I think I've managed it a couple of times, but I've also many times seen it built before I even had Engineering researched. Even though I am usually ahead overall in Science, the AI prioritizes Engineering ferociously and often gets the Wonder a good 20 - 30 turns before I could have even started it. Maccu and the Great Bath have got to be the two most AI Sought-After Wonders in the game now.

Last edited:
I regularly get it on emperor, but that still means losing out in like half of games.
You need to have the right capital for it or just ludicrous chopping, but I find the key determinant is if I pull off the eurekas on the engineering path efficiently.
That generally means timing ancient walls somewhere, which is not easy given everything else going on early game. You really need to have good eurekas in general because in order to be in a position to build the wonder you'll need techs like animal husbandry. It's not ideal but I don't really mind if I have decent machu terrain, since it can turn unremarkable spots into +5 or +6 for CH and TS, which early on is enormous. Plus I can place aqueducts extra early for my eventual industrial zones.

Great Bath have got to be the two most AI South-After Wonders in the game now.
I do not understand their great bath obsession. I assume they are coded to value dams so they actually make them, but my word, the GB isn't even that strong of a wonder. I think I have built it once on a lower difficulty.
Although In my terra game they were really lax on wonders in general because everyone was busy murdering each other, as is the tradition and custom of humans.

Come to think of it no, I've never built it. Never really had it high on my priority list either to be fair, but I think it's usually gone way before I would consider it.

Then again I've only ever built Stonehenge once, in a game where no other civ could, and I built it in the medieval era (you get an apostle if you build it after all the religions are taken, is what I learned from this experience).

I have got the Great Bath once or twice though.

Yes, I've built it once, as the Inca fittingly enough. :lol: You need to beeline towards Engineering to get it, though. AIs love that wonder.

On a different note, has anyone been able to build the Great Bath?

Yes, I've built it once, as the Inca fittingly enough. :lol: You need to beeline towards Engineering to get it, though. AIs love that wonder.

On a different note, has anyone been able to build the Great Bath?
Easy enough with China. Only other civ I've managed it with was Kupe pre-nerf with an amazingly fast landing and a few industrial CS envoys.

China doesn't count though. :p China can build any wonder.

I get it sometimes, but I don't prioritize it. I only play on King/Emperor though, I don't have fun on Diety

I've built it a few times (King). Though handily it is one of the ones you can let the AI build for you :mischief:

I recently got a pop-up about an AI civ building the Great Bath on turn 17... That was on King. As for Machu Picchu - I actually manage to build it quite often on King, albeit sometimes the AI beats me to it.

Easy enough with China. Only other civ I've managed it with was Kupe pre-nerf with an amazingly fast landing and a few industrial CS envoys.
China doesn't count though. :p China can build any wonder.
Not easy if the wonder is built before if built before the tech can even be unlocked, which is not infrequent IME.

I do not understand their great bath obsession. I assume they are coded to value dams so they actually make them, but my word, the GB isn't even that strong of a wonder. I think I have built it once on a lower difficulty.
Perhaps we shouldn't overestimate. The AI builds a wonder because it can. Both Great Bath and Machu Picchu have easy requirements, so away they go.

I seem to normally get it if I want it (Emperor/Immortal). Though for me to want it, it has to be clearly worth the effort (lots of mountains naturally) so I push hard for the tech.It feels like one of the wonders you build a bunch of your game around.

Top Bottom