1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Drinkers / Non drinkers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by really, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

It's not that bad I'm just whining I guess. I enjoy the stuff too, really. It's just a part of me wants to quit, that's all.
    Everything is a poison if used in excess though.

2. Narz

Narz keeping it real

How poisonous tho? Six drinks and I'll be puking on myself unable to walk.

I'm not messing with something where the difference between the 'normal' dose and the dose that makes you violently sick and unable to perform basic functions is about double or triple.

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

What about the taste? That's the main reason I drink I think. If you don't actually like the taste of any alcoholic drinks, then you're right, you might as well stop (and save yourself some money, etc.)

VicRatlhead5199 likes this.
  4. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Then leave it at three drinks. Personally I don't have much trouble with not exceeding the goldilocks zone of pleasurable alcohol levels. But sure, alcohol is objectively a more harmful substance than the ones you mentioned, no doubt.

5. really

really Deity

I like the taste but I think I am just getting old.

6. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

There are some good non-alcoholic beers. My collegue had to give up alcohol because disease so when we go to eat for lunch break we drink 2 beers as usually but he drinks non-alcoholic beers. I dunno about other alcoholic drinks, I do not like taste of wine and hate all strong alcohol. When I need to cheers I do vodka.

7. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Far as I can tell they taste like crap under 40F too.

I'm a liquor drinker. I'll have a beer or two with a meal, but when actually drinking for the intoxication I'll just do a bit of straight rum or whiskey...or more than a bit ;)

8. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

"Uisge beatha" literally means "water of life". What could be more medicinal?

9. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

I enjoy the taste of quite a few alcoholic drinks, but I don't think I would be torn apart if they ceased to exist. I find the attitude that alcohol is a must quite puzzling.

10. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Are you a being of Pure Energy?

11. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

Lagers in general are bland and boring and lame. I mean, it's fine if it's hot and you want something refreshing, but preferring lagers over other beer in general doesn't make any sense to me.

We used to think the Germans were better than us at making beer, but they're not. They're just better than us at making a particular bland variety of beer. Now we've discovered there's a whole world of different kinds of beer and USA #1 at making good beer.

But yeah, with booze, pacing yourself is key. When I drink, I drink slowly enough to stay buzzed for hours straight without becoming nauseous or unable to walk straight or anything. Getting obscenely drunk and throwing up everywhere is for n00bs. Mostly.

Lexicus likes this.
  12. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Truest part of your post tbh

13. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

The closer to freezing it is the less your taste buds can actually detect "flavor" which is why Bud is best at right around freezing. So yeah, they still taste awful, you just can't tell. Give me a good porter around fifty degrees and I'm a happy camper. I have a rockin' vanilla bourbon porter recipe you'd probably love.

I kind of feel the same. Ales have some nice fruity notes and other cool yeasty flavors you just don't get in lagers. I have had some pretty good Doppelbocks and Maibocks though and if you ever get an actual Pilsener, not the fakey light lager version, they're pretty awesome.

14. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

Heresy. A well-made German lager is an utter delight. Won't smack you in the face with flavor the way a big American beer will, but something a little more subtle with a mouthfeel you can really only get through arcane old-world brewing techniques that really don't exist elsewhere should not be so easily dismissed.

15. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

I gave up all alcohol for Lent. So far, the only exceptions have been food cooked with wine and sacrament. The first couple of days I constantly had to fight the urge. After three weeks, whole days have gone by without wanting to find the bottle.

After April 17, we will see. I had gotten into a pretty regular once drink before bed habit. I may want to shake that up a bit.

J

really likes this.
  16. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

This thread has inspired me to go pour myself the scotch that I'd planned have anyway this evening.

17. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

I upgraded from Miller Light to Budweiser diesel.

But to answer to the OP: I still tend to drink everything I buy, so I just buy a 6 pack and then I can't drive anywhere to get more. Hangover avoided. But yes, hangovers suck and they just aren't worth it as much. Sitting around all of Saturday watching Animal Planet and hurting was ok when I was 22, now it just feels like I wasted one of the remaining days of my life and one of the opportunities to play with the kiddo while he still thinks I'm cool.

really likes this.
  18. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

A toast . . . to the (generally reasonably) good fellowship of CFCOT!

19. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

I stopped drinking alcohol entirely a couple years ago... I'm better off without it, personally... was making me too depressed. I don't really miss it, but it's kind of annoying in certain situations people asking why I don't drink.

What benzos are these? Like phenazepam? I thought U.S. drug laws prohibited analogues even if they're not specifically scheduled?

really likes this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Isn't that true for just about anything we can put in our bodies though? Hell, water itself can be poison if you chug too much of it too quickly.