1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Drinkers / Non drinkers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by really, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Same, rum I drink on the regular is available down the street from my house for $33 a bottle, $37 after taxes.

Liqueur.

Kyriakos likes this.
  2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I've never met a rum I wanted to just drink, and once they are mixed I can't say there's a good reason to get one in particular...at least for me. That said, I can't say that I've actually tried straight good rum. Maybe I've missed something there...

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I'm more than willing to recognize that I may have missed something. I will certainly try this rum on ice with good rum at some point. I doubt it will displace Scotch for me, but I'm always open to possibilities.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

In terms of my experience with alcohol, I would refer to the certainty that I have missed most everything.

6. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

I'm like this as a drinker. I've been glacially slow in exploring the whole range of options, so I feel like the totality is entirely beyond me. I was a teetotaler for 30 years. Then I tried wine with nice meals and it was good. So for a decade I just occasionally drank wine with nice meals, exploring around for what were nice wines in the 10-15 range. Now over the last five years, maybe, I've explored Scotch. But "explored" means try a new one two or three times a year and other times buy the best one I've tasted so far. I decided to try beers while watching football games. Nice. I tried a dozen specialty ones, but Boston Lager is sufficient, so I'm under no impetus to aggressively sample other beers. Margaritas are the single mixed drink I've ever tried. Never had so much as a sip of vodka, and don't know when I'll ever bother to. Haven't ever tried rum; don't know when I'll bother. I'm conscious that there's a thing called a Martini out there. If I'm ever in a swanky lounge-style bar, I'll order one. There's every chance I'll be in a grave before I'm ever in a swanky lounge-style bar, so I may never try a Martini.

I have no idea why I'm so cavalier and lazy about sampling the range of alcoholic offerings.

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The only things I've drank straight other than Scotch were scored on the "get me hammered" scale, not the "I like that" scale. On the "get me hammered" scale there is no question that I gave tequila top marks, with vodka presenting a distant challenge...but I certainly never liked either one. Various whiskies score on both scales, but aren't really competitive on either one. This "good rum may compete on the I like it scale" is an intriguing idea that I'll maybe get around to trying out at some point. I no longer explore the 'get me hammered' scale, so tequila can retire as the champion there.

8. civvver

civvver Deity

The only thing I can say about rum is bacardi is terrible even mixed. Other kinds are fine. Appleton and coke is pretty good.

9. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

I don't drink alcohol and don't smoke, and I find both absolutely disgusting (I have to literally wash my mouth abundantly each time I try anything with above 20°).
    Should I consider myself damned to miss some pleasure in life, or blessed to not even have to fight temptation about expensive poison ? ^^

(okay, that was a rhetorical question, I definitely feel very blessed)

gay_Aleks likes this.
  10. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I'm not particularly slow, but I am reluctant to spend money on something when I don't know if I'll like it, and I haven't had all that much time in the Land of Legal Drinking.

Hear, hear.

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I hear Redrum can get you into elbuort.

12. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Spoiler mix it! :

Kyriakos likes this.
  13. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

When you have had too much. Release the Kraken!:vomit:

Kyriakos, Farm Boy and Timsup2nothin like this.
  14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

That was genuinely laugh out loud funny.

Kyriakos likes this.
  15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I was in the same boat. I was habitually drinking and it took a concerted effort to break myself of that habit. It was no longer fun and as you note, the side effects were becoming more and more noticeable. I drank on my birthday this Saturday but I didn't enjoy it the way I thought I would and don't plan on drinking again for a while. There is actually a lot of social pressure to drink and I'm about ready to tell people I'm a tee-totler just to get them to leave me alone. I'm not really a tee-totler or anti-alcohol, I just don't want to drink in any setting.

As for advice, just focus on having fun without alcohol. Make sure you change up your routines and do things at times when you would normally drink. So if you normally go home and drink Friday night, go to a movie instead. That sort of thing. If you can make it a month without drinking it becomes much much easier after that point and you don't really have to think about it consciously anymore.

16. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

My sister bought me a bottle of Maker's Mark for my birthday. Jeez, but does that stuff go straight up your nose. Wild Turkey is like a milkshake in comparison.

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I find Maker's a lot easier to drink than Wild Turkey.

18. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

It might just be me. I'm a bit of a whisky novice, still.

19. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Probably not just you, whiskey is bitey burnt charcoal. I just go for scotch instead, it's like the same thing but with toned down notes of: I licked a 2 day old campfire.

Whiskey probably is a little tastier if you're dumping it into coke.

Lexicus likes this.
  20. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

It's weird, I just find bourbon a lot sweeter and easier to drink than scotch. Probably because I'm not drinking good scotch.