Driving

puglover

Disturber of Worldviews
Well, I turned 14 yesterday, so where I come from I can apply for a Driver's Permit. In other words, if I can pass a vision and written test I can drive with my parents in the front seat. I'm excited about learning to drive, but the written test looks somewhat difficult (the guidebook to study is 65 pages long :eek: )

So what was learning to drive like for all of you? What advice could you give to a first-time driver? :)

aim for small children.

You can drive at 14?? Thats way to young IMO. But hey, as long as you dont drive down my street, i aint complaining. ;)
Im 17 and just started driving lessons. Ive had 2 so far, and some driving around with my dad.
The problem is i dont have a car yet, so there isnt much point in me learning to drive.
As for suggestions, i say get a pimpmobile and cruise the streets all day long. Grow an afro for the complete 1970's look.
EDIT: apparently pimpmobiles werent as common in 1070, so i thought i'd change it to 1970's. :mischief:

farting bob said:
As for suggestions, i say get a pimpmobile and cruise the streets all day long. Grow an afro for the complete 1070's look.

They had alot of afros and pimpmobiles in 1070s did they, Gotta wonder what they looked like :lol: Pimpin out my horse and cart. Its got fresh horse crap, to candales, and a window WITH GLASS!!!! :lol:

farting bob said:
You can drive at 14?? Thats way to young IMO. But hey, as long as you dont drive down my street, i aint complaining. ;)
Im 17 and just started driving lessons. Ive had 2 so far, and some driving around with my dad.
The problem is i dont have a car yet, so there isnt much point in me learning to drive.
As for suggestions, i say get a pimpmobile and cruise the streets all day long. Grow an afro for the complete 1070's look.

Yes, I think the first crusade was known for the afros worn at the time as "The Jive Crusade".

puglover said:
Well, I turned 14 yesterday, so where I come from I can apply for a Driver's Permit. In other words, if I can pass a vision and written test I can drive with my parents in the front seat. I'm excited about learning to drive, but the written test looks somewhat difficult (the guidebook to study is 65 pages long :eek: )

So what was learning to drive like for all of you? What advice could you give to a first-time driver? :)

Unless you're exceptional (and I'm not implying you aren't) as you drive as a teenager you will be tempted to do stupid things on the road. Before you do, ask yourself if you would do this with your grandmother in the car. What I'm saying is be careful! Too many people die on the roads from just not paying attention or being stupid. It literally is a matter of life and death when you're behind the wheel.

And of course, all civfanatics would miss you greatly were anything to happen, so think of us, too!

I'm just amazed that you are 14.

What advice could I give? Pay attention.

No, that's the advice - pay attention. When you have friends in the car chatting, or something dramatic happens across the street, or you're passing by a wreck, or you want to change the channel on the radio, or whatever, pay attention to you and the car in front of you.

Second bit of advice - think ahead. See those kids playing up there? Plan on one running in front of you. See that car waiting to pull out? Plan on it pulling out in front of you. See the guy in front of you that you're very nearly tailgating? Plan on him hitting the brakes. If you plan on people doing the stupidest thing possible at the worst possible time, you'll rarely be mentally unprepared.

Oh, and third bit - don't drive into a tree in order to avoid a pothole. There are people that have literally totalled their cars and nearly killed themselves to avoid hitting the squirrel running across the road. Sometimes evasive maneuvers just aren't worth it.

Take care and drive with a safety margin.

It is more important than reflexes or any technical skill.

A safety margin means that when something unexpected happens (it will),
you and others will have the opportunity, space/time to avoid a crash.

There are an awful lot of people who had a much better
sense of positioning and faster reflexes than me, but are
severely disabled, solely because they thought they were
really good drivers and could drive on the edge.

EdwardTking said:
Take care and drive with a safety margin.

It is more important than reflexes or any technical skill.

A safety margin means that when something unexpected happens (it will),
you and others will have the opportunity, space/time to avoid a crash.

There are an awful lot of people who had a much better
sense of positioning and faster reflexes than me, but are
severely disabled, solely because they thought they were
really good drivers and could drive on the edge.

I was about to say the same (except I don't drive).

I totally agree, this is very important.

IMO the most important thing to learn about driving is awareness and observation -- you need to know EVERYTHING that's going on around you. Even behind you. Especially behind you. Well, I'd say 60% infront and 40% behind.

They let you drive at 14? Does Kansas have no cars on their roads or something? It's 16 for a permit, 16 1/2 for a license(which I just got, by the way) here.

And my advice is-Don't let your parents piss you off(they will). Just because they're clutching the sides of the car as if that will let them survive the no doubt impending crash, doesn't mean they won't trust you later. And driving by yourself is much more fun.

I just recently recieved my drivers license, dispite that I'm 23. I lived in Hong Kong for a good long time and the mass transit there is so far evolved, driving a car is actually a disadvantage unless you have a parking space reserved in every place you want to visit. Plus the process of getting a drivers license in Hong Kong is 10 times more expensive than in the states. But I started the process in January and finished in July and I've learned a number of things;

1) ALWAYS be alert; Do not daydream while driving.
2) Be aware of your surroundings; You never know when a white minivan will be pulling up to you in your blind spot when you're trying to switch to another lane.
3) Keep distance to your feeling of safety; If you're still wet around the ears, leave a bit of space between you and the car in front.
4) Driving is priority 1; If you're having trouble trying to speak an idea or sentence while driving, don't finish it and keep your brain focused on driving.
5) Use your big toe, not your foot; For me, personally, I find that simply using my big toe or my toes to accelerate is easier to operate than using my whole foot. You can use the whole of the foot for the brake.
6) Cars bunching up + Red stop light = STOP; When you see a red light up ahead and cars bunching up but still look like they're moving, slow down and prepare to stop. I had a few close calls on this and my dad wasn't too happy about those occasions. ;)
7) Remain calm; You're eventually going to encounter drivers behind you or around you that will not know that you are practicing driving and will be impatient and irritable. They'll start honking their horns at you or whatnot. REMAIN CALM. Safety first. If your about to turn into the bank but have to wait an extended period since cars are still going through the lanes between you in the turning lane and the bank and the guy behind you starts honking like a mad man, don't charge through the traffic. I did that once 'cause I got all panicy, of which my dad was not too pleased about.
Above all, you have the same right to be on the road as anyone else. Don't forget that.

As for getting tested etc, note that the written test is pretty easy. Just answer the questions reasonably and calmly. For me, there was a computer where we just touched the answers on the screen. And when you finally get to the driving test, basically it's who you get. My mom was getting a US drivers license and she failed her first test, even though she had been driving longer than I've been alive, yet I managed to pass my drivers test on the first go. Also it doesn't hurt to know how to parallel park, even though I really didn't have to do it when I took my test. All she asked me to do was pull up onto the curb and back up. And it only took 15 minutes. Of course things maybe different between Oregon and Kansas or wherever you are so it doesn't hurt to know parallel parking.

That's all I guess I can impart without writing a series of novels about my first experiences with driving. Driving by yourself after years of being chauffered around simply kicks buttocks in the good way. Good luck and drive safely!

14, wow. That's really young to be able to drive legally. I couldn't even take lessons until I was 17. Driving is great. I couldn't do without it. In fact I'm leaving for Dublin in the next hour. It's 1am and I've got a long night ahead of me. To Dublin and back overnight, it'll be great. The most important thing about driving is to ensure you have a copy of The Imperial March on a CD, tape, MP3 player etc. Crank up the volume and go through a crowded area. Always good fun.

Remember dont bring mothers especially, or any relatives in the car with you, those people are raving lunatics when it comes to you driving. I almost crashed because my mother started screaming at me because a cat was a good 30 feet in front of me, and she wanted me to stop.

*IGNORE SCREAMING PEOPLE*!!!!!

Colonel said:
Remember dont bring mothers especially, or any relatives in the car with you,

My driver's permit would require me to have my parents (or at least a licensed driver) in the car to help.

Thanks everyone for the pointers!

Yeah, ignorewhat your parents say when you're driving. Usually uncles or other friendly adults are way better to teach you the basics. Most parents get neurotic when their kids starting driving, and their reaction on the car is more likely to provoke accidents then it is to avoid them.

Here the driving age is 18, but once you get your license you don't have to take your parents with you. I thank God for that.

puglover said:
Well, keep practacing is all I can say. I had to take my drivers test twice.

Keep both hands on the wheels when you're breaking in an emergency.

Top Bottom