Driving

Carlos (and others) are spot on about one item - teenagers think (and indeed are generally correct) that their reaction times are significantly better than their older-and-more-experienced driving counterparts, so they can drive faster, take bigger risks, etc. However, being able to react three-tenths of a second faster doesn't count for much when the more experienced driver has recognized the probability of an accident a solid two whole seconds before the teenager did.

I also want to add a few things about taking the driven test. When crossing a railroad crossing, ALWAYS look left and right down the tracks. Even if the train signal isn't on and the tracks have been abandoned for 40 years, look left and right when crossing train tracks. You loose big points if you don't. Also physically look around you to see where cars are. Testers like it when they can see that you are being aware. Even if you already are aware, it doesn't hurt to put on a show for your tester.

Oh and also if your car has air conditioning and it's a hot day, your tester will think better of you. ;) My tester was so happy that the car I was driving had air conditioning so it doesn't hurt to have that handy! :D

leonel said:
Oh and also if your car has air conditioning and it's a hot day, your tester will think better of you. ;) My tester was so happy that the car I was driving had air conditioning so it doesn't hurt to have that handy! :D
Dont forget the bundle of cash on the passenger seat, that will always give you extra marks. :cool:

Stapel said:
Simply realise you control a 2000 pound piece of steel with the power of a 100 horses.
It's not you controlling a bicycle. It's 200 yous controlling massive amounts of steel.
Realise that again and again.
This is exactly what I was going to say.
von_Seydlitz said:
RULE FOUR If you saw a deer crossing the road far away in front of you, slow down. The rest of the pack might follow.
:rotfl: This is such good advice! :goodjob:

Turner_727 said:
Well, they do things differently here in Kansas. I think it has something to do with being able to help on the farm and drive that machinery.

For the most part, tho, you don't hear too many stories about 14 year olds causing major traffic accidents.

I don't live on a farm actually. I live in Kansas City, which is actually a decent-sized city. A farmer's driving permit here in Kansas comes at 14 too.

What is difference between a farmer's driving permit and non-farmer's driving permit?

Yaniv said:
Put away your copy of GTA until you learn how to drive
Actually, GTA 2 taught me how to do a number of maneuvers, e.g. 3-point turn and the reversey parky thingy (the one where you want to park on the side of the road between two cars). Unfortunately it totally messed me up on reverse bay parking (actually, I think I just sucked at that in general... I'd have thought GTA2 would've been good practice).

puglover said:
I don't live on a farm actually. I live in Kansas City, which is actually a decent-sized city. A farmer's driving permit here in Kansas comes at 14 too.

I knew that. ;) It has come up before. But the State of Kansas sets the rules, and the Urban areas have to follow them as well.

Re: What lionel said....don't just do that during your driving test, do it all the time. I never cross railroad tracks without looking down them. The device that raises and lowers the arms is mechancial, and can break. Does it happen often? Nope, sure doesn't. But better to check, IMO.

Dida said:
What is difference between a farmer's driving permit and non-farmer's driving permit?

Apparently if you live on a farm you can get your driver's license early. Maybe so the kids could drive the produce to town? :confused:

carlosMM said:
@puglover:

are you allowed to take lessons with a licensed instructor?

if so - PLEASE DO!

parents are nice and good, but they can't drive - not that I mean they are morons, but they sit BY YOUR SIDE instead of IN THE DRIVERS seat. They have NOT LEARNED to steer a car from the passenger seat. They can't judge when to grab the wheel and when not. And, they DO NTO HAVE A BREAK PEDAL inf rot of them.

You may think it a waste of time and money, but a few hours with an instructor, in a car with dual controls , will be a big step to learning to drive properly. it may save you a number of close calls!

Yes, I agree completely here, this is always a good idea.

When I did my drivers ed. course, it was $550 for 25 class hours and 8 driving hours, and it halved my insurance costs. ($400 savings in the first year)

Avoid to start in the third gear, use the clutch pedal gently to avoid unnecessary noise, and learn how to brake!

If your on a highway watch as many cars as you can ahead of you. If they start to brake in front. Prepare to slam the brakes yourself.

I almost crashed that way when all the cars ahead of me suddenly started braking hard and I wasn't paying much attention. That changed my mind about driving quite a bit, always hold your distance so that you know you can almost come to a full stop before hitting the guy in front.

And I agree with the rest, once you learned the technique it seems simple. But then the learning is just starting young Padawan ;)

Mise said:
Actually, GTA 2 taught me how to do a number of maneuvers, e.g. 3-point turn and the reversey parky thingy (the one where you want to park on the side of the road between two cars). Unfortunately it totally messed me up on reverse bay parking (actually, I think I just sucked at that in general... I'd have thought GTA2 would've been good practice).
Spend a year in Paris and you'll become a professional parker.

Friendly advice, Pug: BE CAREFUL for those first few days!

The second day I had that precious piece of paper, I was peering too hard in my rear-view mirrors, and looked up again just in time to notice that I was sailing through an intersection on a red light. Thankfully only at 25 miles an hour, on a not-so-busy street, and with drivers who were actually paying attention, saw me coming, and stopped as I went plowing through the intersection. :eek:

2 months after I got my license when I was 17 I smashed my dad's vehicle. Now my insurance would cost 10K a year, whence I don't drive.

AceChilla said:
I think he means without pushing the car in front of you away with your bumper. ;)
If you don't push the car in front of you with your bumper, your car hasn't enough space to get parked. ;)
But anyway, we are civilized even in Paris, we know how to do this gently in order to not damage the other vehicle.

Talking about driving, I must say that Paris is nothing compared to Naples or Italy in general. The Italian way of driving is rather interesting.

Top Bottom