Driving

well i learned to drive @ 9 and im 29 so wow 20 yrs. NO tickets or accidents. Man that sounds good.

Biggest thing ive used to be a safer driver is ( as previously mentioned) give yerself some room. If you are behind a car and u cannot see his back wheels, u are too close. I call it a safety bubble.

Now ive taken driver training, defensive driving, Evasive driving and i was licenced to drive a formula 3 car, so I have a little bit of knowledge about driving. Im also the guy who teaches all the rest of his friends girlfriends ( and boyfriends) how to drive a standard, and ive taught all my younger siblings. and thier friends.....
DONT try to be cool. Showing off will leave ya broke and possibly dead. Cars are great, but theyre are anything if 1 thing... transportation. All it does it go from a---->B and if u are lucky ( and dont drive a Ford) back again. Treat it like what it is a car. Not a person.
Now im not saying get a NICe car of customze your car, but remember KISS. Keep it simple silly. Same as in driving.

ALWAYS signal BEFORE you turn. You wouldnt believe how many ppl are too lazy ( or stupid) to move a little stick on thier steering coloum.It aint THAT hard.

Be a respectful driver,

allow yerself time to get where u are going.

got a cell phone? get a handsfree kit. Or pull over.
Here in ontario you can get a nasty fine for driving and talking. Ive seen someone actually look at a cop at his window and say, umm just a sec, and talk on his phone. Nice huh that was a dangerous driving charge $300 bucks and 6 demerits. ( that means he got his licence taken suslended and had to sit in the minsitry of transportation office for an interview about WHY he should be allowed to drive again)

DONT eat while driving. It causes almost as many accidents as anything else. Nor Read....

That brings me to my final ( hopefully) point.
Driving is NOT, once again NOT a right. Its a priveledge.

Basically this sums it up. Common sense. Use common sense. And seeing as u are a civ player u seem to have good judgement. One thing i tell ppl is guess what ppl have been driving for decades before you came along and they did ok. So can u.

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but...

If you happen to be in a traffic jam, always try to keep some space free to let the ambulance pass. It's disastrous always to see some idiots who try to move on as fast as they can in a traffic jam and then block the way of the ambulance, while any second counts.
In germany, on an autobahn, you must keep free space between the left and the right driving lane. I don't know if its the same in the US, so better ask someone else or follow the (I hope: good) example of other drivers.

On Autobahnen its also forbidden to overtake on the right lane and you have to use the right lane when it's free...
Ramps are as well only on the right and it's against the law to run out of gas on Autobahnen...
That's different in the U.S., isn't it?

Jerry Kraut said:

Regarding the number of US Cars I'm seeing on the Standstreifen (= holding lane? emergency lane? :confused: ) obviously they're not used to such a law. :eek:

von_Seydlitz said:
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but...

If you happen to be in a traffic jam, always try to keep some space free to let the ambulance pass. It's disastrous always to see some idiots who try to move on as fast as they can in a traffic jam and then block the way of the ambulance, while any second counts.
In germany, on an autobahn, you must keep free space between the left and the right driving lane. I don't know if its the same in the US, so better ask someone else or follow the (I hope: good) example of other drivers.

We have shoulders on the interstate, and most roads, that an ambulance can use if they have to.

Jerry Kraut said:
On Autobahnen its also forbidden to overtake on the right lane and you have to use the right lane when it's free...
Ramps are as well only on the right and it's against the law to run out of gas on Autobahnen...

In the US overtaking on the right or not using the right lane when able is not technically legal but not enforced at all. Ramps are on the right 99% of the time. It isn't against the law to run out of gas on interstates in general, but on certain highways (The New Jersey and Massachusetts Turnpikes, for two that I know of) it is indeed ticketable.

Jerry Kraut said:

NO NO NO NO

It should be:

On Autobahnen you have to use the right lane when it's free, and its also forbidden to overtake on the right lane.

Quite significant difference if you ask me.

I'm very much for sending people to jail, if they don't keep right :) !

alphanav1 said:
We have shoulders on the interstate, and most roads, that an ambulance can use if they have to.

Germany has what is called the braking effect of being ahead.

The concept of highways is a German invention. Most of the highway design is older than the concept of ambulances, let go the concept of 'shoulders'.

It's a hell of a job to add safety lanes later.

Perfection said:
Don't forget the importance of having the right tire pressure ;)

Actually, having low tyre pressure is far more dangerous than speeding a bit.

Stapel said:
Actually, having low tyre pressure is far more dangerous than speeding a bit.
Yeah, and don't worry abouting speeding 5mph over the limit is fine. Over 5 though and you're on your own.

Never underestimate the stupidity and incompetance of other drivers
Never believe that you are too good a driver to have an accident
Always look ahead further than the strech of road just in front of you

CarlosMM is right about picking up that 6th sense for when things look dangerous, just keep aware long enough to get it.

Perfection said:
Yeah, and don't worry abouting speeding 5mph over the limit is fine. Over 5 though and you're on your own.

I had a speeding ticket in Parkville once (Pug will know where it's at) and they didn't start calculating the fines for speeding until you were 10 miles over.

Just follow Turner's Law: Make sure that someone on the road is going faster than you. I haven't had a ticket yet this way. ;) But then, I like to keep it at 7 over the limit.

And one thing people in Kansas don't understand: Slow traffic keep right. I don't know how many morons I've seen driving (and it's at least one a night) that think the inside lane is their personal lane. People, if you're going slower than other cars around you, stay to the right! This is my biggest gripe about people over here. Oh, and don't turn your turn-signal on 500 feet before you turn....nothing like trying to guess where they're gonna turn!

Top Bottom