1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dropping the Nukes - Ethics or strategy?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by OldieMagee, Jan 16, 2004.

1. man o' war

man o' war AKA Kristophski

well don't listen then :p

2. seanos08

seanos08 Monarch

Osama's visit to Allah.

Quick back in the cave Master an American B2 bomber approaches.

Osama runs deep into the cave. Suddenly everything turns to white. A 2 Megaton ground penetrator was the weapon.

Osama approaches God's Throne and says hail Allah and bows.
    God says - by the way the Jews are right and to the deepest depths of hell you go with Hitler, Stalin, Mao and every other mass murderer.

Every Australian lives in fear because of Howard's craven descision to join the coalition of the bribed.

Find Bin laden and nuke him.

Best Queen song ever "Hammer to Fall"

I lived in fear in the 80's and live in fear now.

3. razzor7

razzor7 Chieftain

I'm not sure if people are still going on about this, but i'd like everyone to remember/know that when they nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki, they saved lives. Before we nuked, we looked at the estimated death toll. It would ge about 16 million Japanese and 4-6 million Americans.

You weigh these numbers

20 million+

200 thousand

Pick one.

EDIT: I just read the political arguments...

George Bush, if NOT doing a fantastic job (though I DO think he is) was a much better choice. After all Al Gore is Democratic (EWWW! *scoff* *scoff*) and was part of the "Clinton Inceident".

Political Humor:

The Republican "Masscot" is the Elephante
    The Democratic "Masscot" is the Donkey, or... you get the idea

SO anyway, I think George Bush has been the best thing to happen in a while. Although I have one little problem. I think we should have stepped into the terrorist problem earlier. After all, before 9/11, there WHERE other terrorists in the world.

Ok, I hope everyone enjoyed my ramblings

4. DaHaRRyOnE

DaHaRRyOnE Chieftain

Who cares about digital lives. This is game, if you want to win the war sometimes you got to burn the village. Nuke the hell out of them if you want, unless of course you have nightmares about digital civilians dying because of a digital nuclear holacaust. If you do, you might want to see Dr. Phil. :)

5. Duece

Duece Chieftain

Okay I have a question for everybody that has dropped a nuke on a town. I have never dropped a nuke on a town mostly because by the time I finally learn space flight my enemies have discovered it ages ago. I personally dont feel like getting nuked so...I dont nuke them. Anyways my question was when you nuke a city does it destroy that city completely or just the troops or what exactly is it that the nuke does?

6. Duece

Duece Chieftain

Okay I have a question for everybody that has dropped a nuke on a town. I have never dropped a nuke on a town mostly because by the time I finally learn space flight my enemies have discovered it ages ago. I personally dont feel like getting nuked so...I dont nuke them. Anyways my question was when you nuke a city does it destroy that city completely or just the troops or what exactly is it that the nuke does?

7. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

1) kills the troops
    2) destroys the improvements
    3) halves the population
    4) creates polution on the adjacent 8 squares
    5) terraforming the terrain to the next level on the adjacent 8 squares (i.e. forest to grassland, grassland to plains, plains to desert)
    6) everybody gets ticked at you

this sums it up nicely.

BTW, you double posted

8. Duece

Duece Chieftain

It sounds like nukes are pretty nasty. I think I will try one out in my next game. BTW-Sorry bout the double post I tried to delete the first one but I have to be a moderator.:undecide:

9. Duece

Duece Chieftain

Okay I was intrigued to try out a nuke (Big Mistake) I was playing on a huge map with all 16 civ.'s still alive.(Though several are down to one city.) I had my nuclear sub pull up beside the Egyptian capitol city and I let my nuke rip. Everything happened the way you said it would BlueMofia...only every single civilazation declared war on me and within 10 turns I had lost 12 cities and the advancing troops were knocking on my capitols door. But luckly I had stock piled ICBM's and I elimanated a few more capital cities...the AI were pleading for a peace treaty after I destroyed some more of their empire. I guess the reason that I am posting this is because I didnt realize so many freakin civilazations would declare war on me!

10. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

just like in real life, if one country nukes another, then everyone hates them, and war would soon erupt.

in one on my games, just to see how many nukes would tick the world, i started to nuke arabia with tactical nukes. 3 nukes in the capital, and the world declares war on me.:nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

11. Duece

Duece Chieftain

Well I didnt even have to drop that many...one tactical nuke on Egypt's capitol and well, I already told that story. But really though I would much rather use an ICBM than a Tactical nuke. Only because they can get to you're target quicker because you dont have to ship them their.

12. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

well, this was before ICBMs so it was the best thing i got.

anyways, have you ever seen an ai start nuclear war?

13. viper275

viper275 Playing Civ4

I use nukes when I can. I find that in general, other civilizations are more forgiveful if you use nukes on someone who has started to war on you.

I haven't had an AI start a nuclear war, I wonder if they do.

14. silver 2039

silver 2039 Chieftain

They do but rarely.

15. silver 2039

silver 2039 Chieftain

16. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

my dad has seen a greek ai drop 1 nuke, just because they were reduced to 1 city and they chucked everything they had at the advancing iroqui armies and nuked a nearby city. they died next turn.

17. Duece

Duece Chieftain

I love watching single city AI's suffer. They are so weak and defensless! Mu-Ha-Ha-Ha

18. Blackbird_SR-71

Blackbird_SR-71 Spying from 85,000 ft

Hello everyone,

i personally haven't used a nuke in a long time because all those dirty AIs team up against you and start nuking you which i think is unfair :mad:

but last time i used it i had lost the game and i was completely mad and well their was some nukes laying around :mischief:

i blew london up with 3 nukes and then launched a invasion and captured the city with great ease :cool:

but then the entire world declared war against me and started World War 1 the nuke war. well then it sucked the rest of the game because all of the civs nuked my capital and all the big cities destroying most of my fun :( :mad:

I'll get those AIs back oneday :scan:

19. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

vengefull arent you? will you play with those civs in your next game and destroy them brutally for what they did to you in the last game?

20. general_kill

general_kill Chieftain

Nukes are Equalizers in this game. Even the most hopeless civs can hold some power to deter an invasion by having a few nukes. This is why i took them out of my game, by the modern age, I am the major super power. I won't have a puny japan nuke my cities while i am invading it.