Drug References?

Pinstar

Ringtailed Regent
So I saw on the offical site that Civ V is rated E10 by the ESRB. I think that is a very fair and accurate rating for a game like Civ and shouldn't do any harm in terms of limiting the purchasing audiance.

My ONE question, and this is more out of curiosity, is this: They say on the traits of E10 that there were 'drug references'.

I'm curious as to what aspect of the game drew that marker? Thinking back to Civ IV, I can think of nothing that would be thought of as a 'drug reference'. Therefore this 'drug reference' must be new.

Is opium a new 'luxury resource'?

Attachments

• drug.gif
    drug.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 291
I hope Cocaine too. It would be cool if some of the city-states would be Bagota or Kabul. I am sure some one will do a mod of this called "Narco-States".

Civ IV was rate E10 for Violence, I used to think it was E10 for requiring reading :p

I think it's poppy (opium), as a ressource, like it was in Civ:Call to power II, that represents drugs.

The ESRB report says there is a reference in the civilopedia; no mention of any drug resorces in the game though.

unlikely they would have a poppy resource. I doubt even tobacco would be in.

It seems a shame to get that nasty label from just a civilpedia reference, but oh well. Maybe the younger crowd will think it's cool.

im completley certain there won't be a heroin resource with a picture of hyperdermic needle resurce floating around next to your city.

Maybe Sid is wising up and rather than making a game this time, the box is filled with a few needles and a couple months supply of heroin?

There really needs to be a coffee and/or tea resource. In later tech eras they could also add in a peanut M&M resource, and pizza, nacho and fried chicken food tiles.

The addition of 'soda factory' and a brewery for buildings would pretty much complete the games transformation into a sim of my life and needs.

There really needs to be a coffee and/or tea resource. In later tech eras they could also add in a peanut M&M resource, and pizza, nacho and fried chicken food tiles.

The addition of 'soda factory' and a brewery for buildings would pretty much complete the games transformation into a sim of my life and needs.

kola nut and vanilla resources

Coffee and Tea really ought to be luxuries and I don't see why an opium trade is an absolute non-starter. Same for tobacco. After all, Colonization uses Tobacco quite a bit.

Obviously the leaders take a hit on the peace pipe when negotiating.

I always wanted to mod in drugs, as a cross between resources and religion (the way it functions in civ4). You have the resource, you create a unit somewhat like a missionary that kind of works like a spy to spread the narcotics to other civilizations for profit and crippling affect.

Im curious as to how they will censor mods like this. Would they advertise it in the mod browser, overall being inside steam?

ESRB said:
This is a strategy game in which players manage a nation from a single settlement to a prominent civilization. Players can develop their nation's culture and technology, manage its economic and social infrastructure (e.g., diplomacy, trade), and expand territory through military conquests. Combat with nations is presented from an overhead perspective, and military units are represented by small armies of soldiers on a gridded map. Battles include brief animations of sword fighting, gun fights, and vehicular combat, resulting in icons exploding, collapsing, or disappearing. Nuclear weapons can be developed and detonated over opposing nation's territories. Historically based text includes descriptions of violence (e.g., assassinations, murders, suicides) and a reference to the opium drug trade (e.g., "where they could engage in extremely profitable business including the infamous opium trade.").
Maybe mentioning the Opium trade in England's pedia?

Top Bottom