Civ:
Score:
Difficulty:
Attempt #:
Finish Date:
Leader Rank:
Victory Condition:

Spoiler :
And, if you've got the time, feel free to provide a recap of your game using "Spoiler" tags to hide anything about the map or rival civ start locations that someone may not want to read before their first play.

Let's get a little more participation out of you guys. :whipped:

Civ: England
Score: 500
Difficulty: Deity
Attempt #: 1
Finish Date: 3000BC
Leader Rank: 13th
Victory Condition: Conquest..

Spoiler :
..ed

Gandhi walked into my capital because I thought I was safe. Clearly not.

Civ: Mongolia
Score: ???
Attempt #: 2
Finish Date: 1025AD
Leader Rank: ???
Victory Condition: ???

Spoiler :
All AIs declared on me before 500AD. I'm sure if I'll play CivRev anymore, it just isn't fun that to win I have to choke the AI and defend 1 or 2 cities with masses of armies, jumping from 1 defensive tech to the next. What a waste.

Spoiler :
All AIs declared on me before 500AD. I'm sure if I'll play CivRev anymore, it just isn't fun that to win I have to choke the AI and defend 1 or 2 cities with masses of armies, jumping from 1 defensive tech to the next. What a waste.

Really you don't need to do that. Unfortunately the AI is pretty aggressive, but I usually find that I'm fine with a couple archers until democracy, and then pikemen until modern infantry. I don't beeline to defensive techs; I concentrate on scientific right up until industrialization, then gold.

My general strategy does, however, including 'choking' the AI and defending a couple cities... just not with masses of armies. I usually only have like 1 or 2 armies stationed there. They AI is too dumb to send enough guys at one time to do any damage, so my armies always have a chance to heal.

Good luck,

- John

Civ: Japan
Score: ???
Difficulty: King
Attempt #: 1
Finish Date: 1984 AD
Leader Rank: #1
Victory Condition: Culture

I could have won with any condition at that point I just wanted to use this game as a sandbox to hone my strategy a little more.

Civ: Greece
Score: 23934
Attempt #: 4
Finish Date: 1935AD
Leader Rank: 1st
Victory Condition: Domination

Spoiler :

Attempt 3 (Japan, v. good because of lots of Islands) ended after I defeated the English and Indians. The Mongols shot 5 techs ahead of me in the tech race, had Advanced Flight, Tanks and were 1 econ milestone, and 1 GP away from winning either way. Youch!

Rolled Arabia with Tanks in 1450AD :wow:

Some luck due to me culture flipping an Indian and 2 English cities, getting the Great Wall from Angkor Wat (though with Hoplites I probably could have held out), and Gandhi's cultural borders blocking Mongolia from getting to me (btw, Gandhi had all his cities flipped this game... Mongolia seems a cultural powerhouse).

Democracy from the start is very powerful... the map has a 2-dye spot to the left which is amazing, and many other dye/fish/whale spots on islands which the AI did not settle this game (I LOVE GETTING THE FREE GALLEON FROM NAVIGATION). This map would also be good with the Englsih- more on this later.

I settled 4 cities on the main continent and blocked off the Arabs with a single warrior. Everything below the Arabs until Gandhi remained unsettled because I flipped a city at a choke.

Tanks by 1450AD How-To: Research up to Metallurgy, getting Navigation first else building a Galleon. Settle all those Islands and rush a library and Habour to do this quick. Step 1 is getting lucky with Atlantis, then using a great scientist for Combustion.

After rolling Arabia I set my sights on OCC England. A rifleman of theirs defeated 7 tank armies and I just walked away.

Beat Gandhi, then had some trouble as Karakorum claimed the lives of 6 Tank Armies.

I went back to England, with a wing of bombers, a fleet of cruisers for naval support and my Tank Armies. Won that.

Also, fun fact: Spies get GG support. :/

This game taught me the value of early Temples, and early Navigation, or popping a Galley from a hut.

SCORE BREAKDOWN
Pop: 11600
Mil: 3987
Tech: 4016
Gold: 957

What is GOTW on DS like? on Xbox its a set map with set starting locations and set starting civ and set enemies

You can choose your civ, it's always the same starting loc and the resources also seem to change depending on what civ you pick. I think last week's map could have been the same as the 360 GOTW map, but this week's certainly isn't. Unfortunate, because choosing the correct civ would make the games slightly comparable.

What is GOTW on DS like? on Xbox its a set map with set starting locations and set starting civ and set enemies

It's exact;y the same set-up. The core game is identical on all 3 systems. The difference being that on the 360 & PS3, you get more bells & whistles as well as better eye-candy (graphics). Also, there is no official leaderboard for the DS GotW because there is no ability to upload the DS save file.

It's exact;y the same set-up. The core game is identical on all 3 systems. The difference being that on the 360 & PS3, you get more bells & whistles as well as better eye-candy (graphics). Also, there is no official leaderboard for the DS GotW because there is no ability to upload the DS save file.

Maybe each week we should try to play as the same Civ that's selected for the PS3 & X360?

The map isn't the same, looking at the map on the unofficial GOTW website and from my memory.

The map isn't the same, looking at the map on the unofficial GOTW website and from my memory.

The map is almost identical geographically, but there are several exceptions with regard to locations, etc. First, the start place is different. It is about 8 squares west & 2 north of that location. DS opponents are Arabs, English, Indians & Mongols instead of Aztecs, French, Germans & Greeks. Also, we get 5 artifacts this game instead of 3! Also, Barb huts are in different places.

I just went with who I hadn't played a game w/ to that point. However, I've now played a game w/ every civ, so I'll begin to look at whose best for my play style.

Civ: Aztec
Score: 367,996
Difficulty: Chiftain
Attempt #:1
Finish Date: 2100AD

Wolq: Looks like you milked the hell out of this game. Am I right?

Wouldn't a civ like Spain be better for Milking on Cheif with the +50% gold?

Just going for score.

Civ: Americans
Score: 1,891,802
Attempt #:5-7

I'm in the middle of a milking attempt but it's bloody tiring and it's half four in the morning.

So far:

Spoiler :

Zulus

Took out India, Mongolia and Arabia with warrior armies in about 1700AD and left England alone, blocking her off with 2 popped settlers. I have not declared war on her yet, but I might just decide to keep myself in anarchy forever due to the tedium of building things in all of my large amount of cities....

I built settlers in every city for a millenia and have settled every spot on the map apart from a 1 tile island in the fat cross of my best city:

Zimbabwe, the 1 tile island with 2 dye is producing 12204gpt at size 31... WOW. It seems that if you build a wonder after researching the tech that obsoletes it you get its effect. So it has a settled merchant, the collosus, the traid faire, the east india compan, the internet (a city with a bank produces 200GPT with trade going into research) and I am in democracy.

If I ever milk again, I am leaving all huts until the endgame- I just popped Nuclear Power fromt the last one.

It's only 1770AD.. ugh, too long to go.

It'd be awesome if you could do a writeup... that score is truly massive. I think the Aztecs could get a ton of points on this by popping the Angkor Wat (or whatever gives you temples/caths) once they have settled all land and getting +3 sci in every city. But I am not sure how many future techs you need to rival the +50% gold or 2% interest of some civs... I am regretting choosing the Zulu.

Just going for score.

Civ: Americans
Score: 1,891,802
Attempt #:5-7

I would assume most of that score comes from money, because the other categories are restricted.

Buildings are restricted to the number of cities you own, and so is population, although you could get your pop up to like 31 (or whatever the cap is) I suppose. Buildings are obviously limited per city, and tech is more difficult to come by then cash.

Military I found to actually have a cap on how many units can be produced. When I hit the max, my cities just kept track of how many they potentially could build, but they never built them.

I too would be interested in reading a breakdown of your score and how you did it.

- John

Civ: Germans
Score: 1,352,936
Attempt #:9

Spoiler :

Gold rush strategy

Basic idea is to get as many cities as possible with all trade multiplier buildings with Internet wonder as soon as possible.

Goal 1: Neutralize AI opponents: 1) eliminate Indians to the southeast 2) eliminate Mongols to the east 3) eliminate English to the south and block the straight connecting Arabs peninsula near Tripoli to the northeast
Goal 2: Build cities on the whole map keeping them 3 tiles or so apart
Goal 3: Science rush to Networking and build Internet wonder
Goal 4: Build Harbor, Granary, Courthouse, Aqueduct in every city
Goal 5: Build Market, Bank, Trade Post(?) in every city

I get above complete in about 1750AD or so. Then switch all cities to gold and a millitary unit(?). After so many units are built game will just keep track of them without actualy producing them. Sit back and watch the gold go through the roof!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. Aztecs and Germans get gold benefits but in the end score their gold counts less, a lot less, see my other posts.

Civ: Zulu
Score: 972902
Difficulty: Chieftain
Attempt #: 4

Don't think I'll ever milk again, but then, I got so close to 1 million...

Top Bottom