1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DS9 - Scenario Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by Morkonan, May 24, 2011.

1. Morkonan

Morkonan Chieftain

I've been playing the DS9 scenario.. but have no idea what it is that I'm supposed to do. :D

What are the static events that take place and when do they occur?

What is my goal? How is it effected by the event list? Should I just declare war on everyone?

Also, the game gets horribly slow between turns. I understand that is probably not something that can be fixed. It occurs in most mods with large maps and lots of units/civs. But, is there any planned mod that would help fix that issue.. somewhat?

I'm exploring this mod, as I can, and planning on exploring other scenarios. So, I'll probably be posting questions on those as well, when I can't easily find answers in other threads.

2. deanej

deanej Chieftain

For DS9 you essentially just win the Dominion War (which basically means lowering the enemy to a low number of cities after the end of season 7; for the Federation/allies you also have to capture Cardassia, I believe); I think I put this in the starting popup but maybe not.

Specific events occur when they did in the series. I replaced the year display with season/episode (note: I inserted a few episodes at the end of season 1 so I didn't have to rewrite the calendar and fudged the date for Kai Winn taking power because there wasn't a good place to put it). It's pretty peaceful until the Maquis spawn. Things don't really get rolling until the war starts, but I've given each playable civ things to do (Federation/Cardassians have the Maquis, Klingons/Cardassians have a short war, Klingons/Romulans have to build up, Dominion has a few barb cities to keep them occupied until their forces arrive in the Alpha Quadrant).

If you think it's slow now, you should have seen what it was like before. ;) There were even game-breaking bugs that lasted a very long time because the turn lag was so long. I wasn't even able to test past season 3 at release due to turn lag and memory errors (though my aging computer didn't help).

3. jfby

jfby Chieftain

Before version 4, every one of the different Star Trek mods was really slow, even with modern hardware. Things are much better now, thanks to the hardwork Deanej and others put in.