Dual monitor: how do I decide which monitor civ will play in?

lumpthing

generic lump
I have a dual monitor setup with my laptop and a big external monitor

I want civ to play on the big external monitor but it always loads in the laptop monitor

For me, civ is unplayable slow if I play in windows mode instead of fullscreen mode so that's not an option for me

Any suggestions? :/

Hi lumpthing!

I don't have a dual monitor setup so can't say for certain, but my drivers specify one as the primary display and the other as the secondary display. Are yours the same? Does Civ always load on the primary display? Can you change the display settings around so the big monitor is your primary display and the laptop the secondary display?

Hello again!

Yes it's the same and civ always loads in the primary display. Unfortunately the "Use this device as the primary monitor" checkbox is always greyed out so I can never switch them over. It wants the macbook to be the primary monitor. I'm using windows on an intel macbook so it may have something to do with that.

Have you tried closing the MacBook lid so as to only use the external monitor? I have no experience with this under Windows, but it works fine in Mac OS.

Your notebook most probably have a function key to toggle between notebook display, video port or both. Set up the correct screen resolution of the secondary display, then switch to video port only. your primary display will be off, but Civ4 will detect the possible screen resolutions and be able to run in full screen mode to save the performance.

I found several threads with similar questions like this, but no usable answer. Therefore, I add this solution to the old thread.

Top Bottom