Duchy of Brittany

sman1975

Emperor
Greetings.

I am setting up this collaboration space for a playable civ mod based on Gedemo's mod of the same name.

Current Civ design plan (subject to change):

Unique Buildings:
- Dolmen (Monument replacement): provides culture, as well as faith on marble and stone resources
- Donjon (Castle replacement): Adds greater defensive strength to the city and contains a slot for a Great Work of Art.
- Tourtan: Lighthouse replacement. Adds +2 Food from sea tiles, +1 Food from Fish resources, +1 Production from Sea resources. Also adds +1 Culture from Fish, Whale, Pearls, or Crab resources

Unique Units:
- Brezel Kourserezh: a cheaper Privateer replacement with a ranged attack.
- Cordelière (Caraque): a small, fast naval melee ship, available at Compass

Unique Ability (Trait): Breton Freedom
- Units fight at full Strength even when damaged
- Naval unit maintenance reduced 25%
- Adds +2 Culture on all sea resources

The mod will also add replacement models taken from the La Guerre de Cent Ans mod.

Download link: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/the-duchy-of-brittany.26964/

Last edited:
Perfect, thank you very much for your work!
Just a small correction, would it be possible to have +2 culture for exploited sea resources rather than + 2 food?

OK. I'll make the change. My intent in using this forum to collaborate is so that you and I can exchange information to make the mod look more the way you'd like. This will be even more important when I release the early version of the mod for you to test.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the first attempt at the icons - the last unit has 2 possible icons:

upload_2018-7-22_10-22-16.jpeg

I'm not 100% sure about the icon for the Brezel Kourserezh unit. What do you think? Do either of those last two icons look OK, or are they both too silly?

I could "paint over" the Skull & Crossbones on the main sail and flag on the lower right side, to make the unit a little more "serious."

Last edited:
When you see the skull and bones, you usually think of pirates. Did not Brittany have its own flag?

@SL_Gray - of course, you're right. The icon on the right has the Kroaz Du flag of Brittany on the masts. It's why I asked about "painting over" the Skull & Crossbones on the sail and flag on the icon. Even though the UU Brezel Kourserezh is a type of pirate, the icon is perhaps a bit on the nose. I've experimented with recoloring the sails on the model, and it looks kinda cool with a straight black sail.

I'll probably paint over the S&C and call it done - if that's OK with @Blackrainbow831.

I think this one looks much better. Is this OK?

upload_2018-7-23_4-37-23.jpeg

I'll also darken the sails of whatever model I use for the boat, so it looks more like the icon.

@Blackrainbow831 - Here are some flag icons I put together. The first one is for the Civ, and the other 5 are for the 2 UU boats (Caraque & Brezel Kourserezh). Let me know which 2 I should use - or if I should keep looking.

upload_2018-7-23_5-11-2.jpeg

And BTW, in the future, can I call the Brezel Kourserezh unit "BK" ? Saves me a lot of cut/paste... ;)

Very nice for the boat.
BK for Brezel Kourserezh no problem, I understand ^^
Regarding Icons I think the 5th seems good for the caraque.
For the BK I will say the last.

Great. I'll add those changes to the Icon atlases.

Mod progress:
- Added the Civ, Leader, Trait, and Buildings - all tested/working
- Am currently working on "fixing" the text, well at least the English version. I'll need some help for a few entries for the French version, if you don't mind?
- Hope to start adding units later this morning. It should not take too long, as I am simply moving them from the old mod to the new. I'll probably rename all of them, which helps avoid conflicts with other mods that may use the same models.

I can post an interim version of the mod (no units) in an hour or so, if you want to test it. The IGE mod is really good for this. This way, you can let me know of any problems that need fixing, or any other changes needed.

Great. No problem, I will help you as much as possible for the text.
I will be happy to test the mod when it is possible.
If you need help with anything else, do not hesitate.

I'm adding the Cordelière (Caraque) now. My current plan is to make it available at Compass (the Caravel is available at Astronomy). It will be slower (move = 3, caravel = 4), but more melee strength (24, caravel = 20).

The Caravel has 2 promotions: +2 extra sight and Withdraw before Melee.

I'd propose the Caraque have +1 extra sight and Supply (healing outside friendly waters) promotions. Could also substitute "Boarding Party 1" (+15% Combat Strength in melee attacks against Naval Units) for either of those 2 promotions.

The Caraque will cost less than the Caravel.

The BK will be a ranged Privateer replacement - which means it will have both a ranged and melee attack. It will have the same melee strength as the privateer (25) but the range strength should be lower, maybe 20. I think it should move 6 (instead of 5) - to show Breton seamanship expertise.

The Privateer has the Capture Enemies and Coastal Raider 1 promotions, and I think this ship should have the same, and perhaps the Supply promotion as well.

The BK should cost the same as the Privateer (150), unless we add the Supply promotion, then it should be more, ~175.

When I get both of these units added/tested, I'll publish the V1 of the mod, and let you know. Sometime in the next few hours, I hope...

Very good. So Cordelière ok for stats with +1 extra sight and supply promotions.
For the BK, it works too, leaves without the promotion Suppply and the same cost as the Privateer and when the first version will be available I will test and I will tell you if there is a need for a rebalancing.
Are you ok?

And, BTW - I'm using 2 of the ships from the old mod to replace "normal" ships. The Breton caravel will be the artwork for Brittany when they build a normal caravel.

The other ship comes from the old mod - the "Cog". I plan on using that model to replace the Galleass, if that's ok.

So - the mod will replace the Galleass, Caravel, and Privateer models with "Breton" models, and add the Caraque ship, which also has unique markings to make the ship look more Breton.

Unfortunately, I have to drop out for a couple of hours for an appointment. I'll be back to work on this afterwards. Hope to have all the ships added and the initial version of the mod posted later today.

I've been thinking.... :crazyeye:

The current ship design has the Caraque (melee) @ Compass, followed by a Caravel (melee) @ Astronomy. This seems kind of redundant. I'd like to propose using the Caraque as a replacement for the Galleass (I don't think Bretons were using oarsmen all that much, were they?) - making it a ranged attack.

The new Breton ship evolution line would look like:

Cog (melee/Trireme replacement) --> Caraque (Ranged/Galleass replacement) --> Breton Caravel (melee/Caravel replacement) --> BK (melee-ranged/Privateer replacement) --> Frigate --> Ironclad

This makes more sense to me, and keeps the unit mix about the same for Brittany as for the rest of the civs.

Is this OK?

Finely observed indeed.
Well, listen, yes, do that.
I will always visualize better in game and see what it gives at the equilibrium level by testing.

The initial version of the mod is done. Download link: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/the-duchy-of-brittany.26964/

The four replacement ships are working (screenshot):

upload_2018-7-23_13-48-43.jpeg

I "think" everything is set up correctly, but I usually leave a few things out on the first version. Appreciate any suggestions you have.

Will start adding the Land units in a few.

UPDATE: All of the land units are added, but I haven't had a chance to test them to make sure they're working properly. I also need to look at them to make sure all the prereq techs, upgrades, overrides, promotions, etc., are correct. For the most part, they are - but I still need to look them over to make sure.

The mod looks quite good - at least until you get to the Industrial Era, and then everything starts to look a like. Just like it was historically, I suppose...

I was thinking I would like to add a few more (later) units - probably the main infantry type (musketman, rifleman, Great War infantry, WW2 infantry, and Marines) units. I'll try to figure out how to make them look more "Breton..."

After I test the units for a couple of hours more, I'll publish a new version. Probably sometime tomorrow morning.

UPDATE 2: After running 3 test games without incident, I decided to upload V2 - it has all the units from La Guerre de Cent Ans included.

With this, the mod is basically completed. It still needs testing, and a few French text keys added, plus a few cosmetic fixes as well. I'll work on those over the next day or two.

Of course, any errors or recommendations you have will be added to the mod as well.

Also, need to decide if we will add the later Infantry units. There are plenty of models available - many from French units of those latter Eras. Will help keep the "improved look" of the mod from the Breton player's viewpoint.

Last edited:
I just tested a little mod and it's really nice.
I told myself is it that it will not be better than the caraque evolves in BK rather than frigate? (which will allow to keep typical Breton ships)
For the units that follow the Renaissance era it does not seem to me possible to have special units (Brittany having been historically assigned to France from this period).
After just knowing if it is possible or not you customized a little the appearance of the units to make them a little more Breton or if it is complicated for not much.

After I thought for civilization because the duchy of Brittany existed only until 1547. So either keep it like that, or create a civilization of Brittany (which would mean nottamentally to change the emblem and two three things including while keeping the historical special units of the Duchy).
Which will do you a little more work ...
The ideal would still be to know what a maximum of people will wish for this civilization.

Top Bottom