Dude, Protective sucks and Native Americans suck

Spawning next to SB or Gilgamesh can be a pretty big pain in the ass. I can pretty much assure I won't be beating my high score for domination wins. Dog soldiers and vultures are very good early defenders. I remember one game I came to Gilgy's capital and at 1000BC, it was walled on a hill with 3 archers and 4 vultures defending. Sometimes you just gotta say screw it and come back later when you have siege.

The computer is none too bright at warfare sometimes.

Sitting bull declares was. He brings over a large stack but I'm anticipating him (pay attention when leaders demand tribute). I've got no seige weapons nearby but quite a few knights (I usually keep about ten hanging around just in case I get attacked). I loose one or two but wipe out his seige through flanking before he can bombard. The city has about six or seven troops garrisoned, a mixed bunch of longbow, crossbow and mace.

Now, most intelligent people would pull back but the dumb idiot just goes for it. And looses each and every unit he's sent over. I take two of his cities and he sues for peace.

Sitting bull is not a strong leader in spite of his traits. You can usually get a good tech lead over him. Just wait until you've got an advantage before you go in.

I have them on the map on my current game.
I share my continent with Asoka, and a now dead Saladin.
On the other continent, there is 6 other civs. The Native Americans and Carthaginians are
the weakest. They are all converted to Judaism. My best option, imho, is to befriend them,
by trying to convert them to mine (thanks Saladin :) ).
Then, once trying to put them to war with the other civs on that continent.

Having a protective trait ally could be interesting to make a waste-hammer-wise war for AIs.

Every city is easy to take if you bring ten upgraded sieges... I think that being protective doesn't help much from that kind of onslaught.

Well, there are a few things I don't like about NA in AI hands:

1. Techs miserably
2. Loves espionage and poisoning water supplies, even if he's otherwise at a good disposition
3. Builds a ton of units
4. Very costly to take over early in the game
5. By far the worst thing about SB: He spams demands constantly. Popups galore!

Some good things though:

1. Doesn't declare @ pleased
2. Warmongers HATE him and will declare on him due to peace weight variance
3. Because of #3 and #4 above, they rarely succeed.

Overall he's an AI I don't mind having in the game because he's rarely a threat to win the game and he disrupts the difficulty associated with some of the other AIs. Cannons and later take care of him and all PRO civs nicely.

In human hands, the started techs and PHI are good enough to make NA decent. Axe rushing is a pain, but that is compensated by pure barb immunity for some heavy expansion...and it's easy to hold those cities even from the AI.

In a game awhile back SB spawned next Shaka on the other continent. SB was limited to maybe half a dozen cities along the coast with few good sites and Shaka had his usual sprawl. Shaka went on to vassalize 2 or 3 others on that continent, but not SB. He stayed independant the whole game.

Why don't you like protective? personly i like it Drill is just as good as the combat1
:crazyeye: Even the drill lovers usually admit that Drill1 is very weak.

But does City Garrison1 and drill 1 outweigh Combat1?

If you're attacking damaged defenders that you have a str lead on...yes. Otherwise...no.

Drill on offense with a tech lead is pretty fun though. I used it as non-protective in LHC peter, because cannons had CR and I just wanted my non-siege troops healthy.

:crazyeye: Even the drill lovers usually admit that Drill1 is very weak.

Yes. ;) It's all about Drill IV baby!

mechaerik said:
But Drill2 is better than D1, C1.

I'm definitely a drill lover.

Without any meaningful context it's near impossible to compare drill and combat whether it's the first promotion or fourth. There are many situations where D1C1 beats D2 in every way.

That's true. But since i usually run xp civics with a barracks, i've gotten Drill3 right out of the gate quite often, really helps. Drill4 Samurai are insane.

But Samurais have 2 EXTRA First strikes to begin with, bringing it to anywhere from 5-8 First strikes. And with that survivability, they get CR promos fast. Then the time to upgrade to rifles is at hand.

^What z4ckdabeast means isn't that the unit doesn't have to be a Samurai as Drill IV units are already insane.

That's true. But since i usually run xp civics with a barracks, i've gotten Drill3 right out of the gate quite often, really helps. Drill4 Samurai are insane.

Yes, well D4 is the only promo Drill has going for it. The earlier drill promotions (particularly D1) pale in comparison with D4. I agree C1/D4 samurais are good, with 5-8 first strikes, but even C1/D1/CR3 samurais have 2-3 first strikes. What I'm saying is that the 2 first strikes it gets free do not make D4 stronger on samurais than on other units.

And whether D2 beats D1/C1 depends on the situation.

Top Bottom