Dude, Protective sucks and Native Americans suck

Tekee

Bahama Mama
I don't want it in my games, how do I get rid of it?
Also can I make sure that I never see Native Americans in my games? They piss me off becuase I hate their cities and having to fight Natives when they should just be tribes.
Does anybody else have a solution to adress this issuse? I am more concerned about getting rid of Protective then native Americans becuase I just stop playing if I see Natives but I want to be able to play Asians again without worrying about Protective trait.

Play vanilla civ IV ;)

You can also choose custom game and select all your opponents excluding the NAtive Americans and any leader that is protective.

Learn to deal with them by becoming better at warfare and at politics. If they don't start adjacent to you (or you aren't their enemy) you can deal with them LATER when you have overwhelming strength (e.g., siege or airpower) and tech lead. Conquer some OTHER poor bastar* earlier on.

We all have our weaknesses. Personally, I play at Noble or Prince difficulties and win about 80% of my huge marathon games.

Just let him be. He's pretty nice. He's hard to rush, but easy to blitz. Lags in tech 10/10 games. I don't see the problem with the guy. I also like feathers.

I like Sitting Bull when he's next to a Monty or Shaka, because with his high peaceweight he'll almost always be a target, and with his dog soldiers and super-archers he has a chance to actually hold his own. Always nice to have the AI beat on each other while you get your empire established.

Definitely annoying when he's in your way, though.

You could edit the LeaderHeadInfo file in your Beyond the Sword/Assets/XML/Civiliaztion directory. Just go through it and give all the protective leaders different traits. Be sure to save it to your Custom Assets folder, though.

AfterShafter said:
My favorite Civ/Leader combo, and an AI with a distinct personality that makes the game more interesting. I love 'em Well, sometimes love to hate 'em..

At first, I thought someone made this thread just to troll you. :lol:

I keep reading how SB has a high peace weight but I swear, every game we always have wars. I dominated him my last time. It was great.

peaceweight does not have anything to do with the fact that a leader is a warmonger or not (although warmonger leaders tend to have lower peaceweights, and vice-versa). However, it decides relations between AI: two AIs with comparable peaceweights will go fairly easily with each-other, and with different peaceweights they will quickly jump at each-other's throats.

I don't want it in my games, how do I get rid of it?
Also can I make sure that I never see Native Americans in my games? They piss me off becuase I hate their cities and having to fight Natives when they should just be tribes.
Does anybody else have a solution to adress this issuse? I am more concerned about getting rid of Protective then native Americans becuase I just stop playing if I see Natives but I want to be able to play Asians again without worrying about Protective trait.

I personally think they are fine, but if you want to know how to easily remove them, and never deal with them again, this is how:

Find the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml it will be in the path C:...\Program Files\...\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML in the Civilizations folder (I don't know your specific computer's pathing structure, so the ... are names I don't know, mine is C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\civilizations). Right click on it and select copy. Go back to your main Beyond the Sword folder.
Now click on the shortcut to the Custom Assets folder. Go into the xml folder in custom assets, and continue into the civilzations folder. Paste the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml file in there.
Open up the CivilizationInfos file using Notepad (or any codewriting utility, but you probably only have notepad, every computer has notepad and XML is fine with notepad, it just needs to be a simple text editor, Microsoft word or other word processesors wol't work).
Go to the edit header at the top of notepad, click it, and select Find. In the find box type out Native and click OK, it'll shoot you to the Native American civ and you should see this:

Code:
		<CivilizationInfo>
			<Type>CIVILIZATION_NATIVE_AMERICA</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_CIV_NATIVE_AMERICA_DESC</Description>
			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_CIV_NATIVE_AMERICA_SHORT_DESC</ShortDescription>
			<Adjective>TXT_KEY_CIV_NATIVE_AMERICA_ADJECTIVE</Adjective>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV_NATIVE_AMERICA_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<DefaultPlayerColor>PLAYERCOLOR_LIGHT_BROWN</DefaultPlayerColor>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_NATIVE_AMERICA</ArtDefineTag>
			<ArtStyleType>ARTSTYLE_NATIVE_AMERICA</ArtStyleType>
			<UnitArtStyleType>UNIT_ARTSTYLE_NATIVE</UnitArtStyleType>
			[B]<bPlayable>1</bPlayable>
			<bAIPlayable>1</bAIPlayable>[/B]
			<Cities>
				<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CAHOKIA</City>

The part you're interested in is the part I highlighted. Change the 1s to 0 and they will no longer be playable. If you want to be able to play them yourself, but just deny the AI them, then only change the 1 to a 0 in the AIPlayable tag.

If you want to go back to your normal game, just delete that file in your custom assets, and everything will go back to normal.

Hope that helps. And welcome to modding cIV, it really is that simple.

Edit: Oh, and if you want to remove the protective trait in general, you can follow the same steps for the CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml file, except in that case delete all instances of:
Code:
			<FavoriteReligion>NONE</FavoriteReligion>
			<Traits>
				<Trait>
					<TraitType>TRAIT_SOMETRAITNAME</TraitType>
					<bTrait>1</bTrait>
				</Trait>
				[B]<Trait>
					<TraitType>TRAIT_PROTECTIVE</TraitType>
					<bTrait>1</bTrait>
				</Trait>[/B]
			</Traits>
			<Flavors>
Of course doing so will nerf the leader, so you'd be better off replacing the TRAIT_PROTECTIVE with TRAIT_CREATIVE or something like it. You can also give yourself a super leader this way, by just copying all the leader traits into a leader head, lol.

I keep reading how SB has a high peace weight but I swear, every game we always have wars. I dominated him my last time. It was great.

Peace weight =/= war declaration odds. It's more like a system for making certain kinds of AIs like or hate each other (hidden modifiers). You can xml edit a leader such that it has a peace weight like Ghandi, but will surely declare on anyone at any disposition.

The anti-rush cow is just that. Hit him hard with HA's (or possibly really early chariots) ASAP, or just wait for siege. His archery units are brutal though.

Alternatively, box him in since his own offensive power is abysmal (though he spams troops). Cannons won't have much trouble vs his longbows.

My recommendation for the OP: if Protective leaders bother you that much try these steps:
  1. pick Romans
  2. perform warrior choke
  3. beeline for Iron Working, then build Praetorians
  4. attack enemy
  5. repeat steps 3 & 4 until you've won or protective civs get Longbows
  6. if this doesn't work, try again on a lower difficulty level

Alternatively, do what was posted above. Pick a custom game and opponents who aren't protective.

It seems that it is not that protective or Native Americans suck, but rather you can't deal with them. Protective adds an extra challenge when invading, similarly aggressive gives an advantage. If you can't attack Sitting Bill or some other protective civ; don't. Wait until you can. Most of the protective civs don't do anything worthwhile in the game. anyway I've got a game where Sitting Bull has been a pain in my ass the whole game, launching wars and destroying most of my tile improvements with chariots and stealing workers, and using spies to devastate my land to no end. This has been going on for 2 hours; I just put up with it because I'm about to give him the business with rifles and cannons and he doesn't have gunpowder yet.

Quick cure Redcoat rush with Churchill.

Why don't you like protective? personly i like it Drill is just as good as the combat1 and City defence just makes freak invasions dealable.

Quick cure Redcoat rush with Churchill.

Why don't you like protective? personly i like it Drill is just as good as the combat1 and City defence just makes freak invasions dealable.

you're forgetting the cheap castles/walls. Very good trait if you want to use the EP slider a bit.

I often like to play as the native americans. Those super strong archers can easily be upgraded later in the game, and castles are pretty fantastic improvements. A balanced invasion (chuck a few bowmen with city garrison 3 in your stack) force can keep holed of any gains with less troops allowing for greater gains.

I don't really get why people don't like to play as protectionist leaders. it's a very powerful trait, though I would have liked to see the native americans being aggressive but with the same bonus gained for the archers through totem poles. They seem just a little overpowered defensively in the early game.

Why don't you learn how to fight?

Top Bottom