1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Duel Citizenship

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ShogunGrumpyBear, Aug 8, 2020.

1. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

I don't have dual citizenship at the moment. I theoretically qualify for British citizenship, and I wanted to get that for awhile, but it doesn't strike me as particularly useful or worth the hassle anymore.

It's possible I could get Irish citizenship, which seems much more useful since that also grants EU citizienship, and given that their qualifications are pretty lax, such that basically anybody with some degree of British or Anglo-American ancestry probably qualifies for if they dig hard enough. But again, it's not something I'm particularly invested in doing at the moment.

2. really

really Deity

Ireland's criteria are generous but not particularly lax.

Generally having a parent or grandparent who was born on the island of Ireland entitles you to Irish citizenship and passport.

Additionally anyone who is Irish or has an Irish parent can register their own children as foreign born Irish. It is theoretically possible for generations of families to be Irish without setting foot here. In practice you should register a child's birth while they are young.

If say you were entitled to be Irish through a grandparent, but you hadn't registered your Irishness, and your parent hadn't registered theirs, and you then had a child yourself, that child isn't Irish, as neither you nor your parent (the child's parents and grandparents) were Irish when the child was born. Oddly if you or your parent then register your Irishness and you have subsequent children they are entitled to be Irish. Clear?

The_J and Birdjaguar like this.
  3. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

US citizen with not enough connection to any other nation to qualify for dual. 1 of my grandparents was born in Canada (and an illegal immigrant to the US), but that's my closest foreign connection, and that's too far.

As an American citizen who has traveled to Canada several times, it's easier to get into Canada than it is to get back into the US.

El_Machinae likes this.
  4. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Israeli and American. Only reason I keep the latter is because I might have to go back there if homesteading doesn't work out here (land is a lot harder to acquire).

5. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Hm. I'd have to go back a generation beyond grandparents on my mother's side. I found out that my mom's mother was born in Wyoming, but I seem to recall hearing that my maternal grandpa's family came from Ireland.

Of course proving and registering all that would be problematic, since all of the aforementioned people are dead. My aunt is the current keeper of the family genealogy, and I've never been curious enough to ask much about it.

ShogunGrumpyBear likes this.
  6. really

really Deity

The_J and Birdjaguar like this.
  7. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

US citizenship, I qualify for an Irish passport via my late mother's parents coming over here on the boat. It's one of those "meaning to get around to it" things that ultimately hasn't mattered enough for me to pull the trigger on.