1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Duel terra map, 10 civs- colony rush!!!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Dagoth Ur, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Dagoth Ur

Dagoth Ur Warlord

This is the best config ever:

Duel size map.
    Terra map.
    10 civs.

You start on a tiny continnent with all 10 other civs, and there is only space for each of you to make 1 city. (or 2 if you are lucky)

Then, there is another continnent across the ocean with no civs on it. Once you get Galleons... colonization rush!!!!

So now you have your massively developed Home City, and a bunch of tiny undeveloped colonies way on the other side of the world. :lol: It's sweet.

2. sovarn

sovarn Warlord

sounds fun, got any screens

3. analyst

analyst Chieftain

of course, you already know that there is another island - but do they? :)

4. Carboni

Carboni Chieftain

I've been curious about Terra worlds.

Wouldn't it be a more viable strategy to concentrate on collecting capitals and forgo the new world?

5. Shillen

Shillen Deity

My question is do the AI's know its in their best interest to rush to astronomy? I haven't played on a terra map but I know on my continents maps they don't seem to. I'm always the first to get it by a mile and get first dibs on any uninhabited islands.

6. Skippa

Skippa Noble

Ahh, so thats what a Terra map is, an Old world and a New world.
    Was wondering how it was different from a Continents map.

7. NKVD

NKVD Cossack

i dont understand I took a new world map once but there was the roman on it...they had not colonized at all...

8. Dagoth Ur

Dagoth Ur Warlord

Yes the AIs will colonize it. I don't know if they rush to Astronomy, but they sure do beat me to it on harder levels. :lol:

9. Melkus

Melkus Chieftain

I tried one of those games yesterday. (Sorry, this is getting long.)
    Went a bit over the top by choosing a tiny map and allowing 18 civs. Random Civ. Prince difficulty. (I consider myself a monarch player, but tight maps are a bit more difficult.)

Got Isabella (not that great), but a nice coastal town with two fish, two crabs and a whale. Balanced terrain too. There was no space for anyone to found a second town, except the Persians who started near a small group of islands along the coast and got three cities early, and the godless Mongols.
    I started well, built some critical wonders, took the lead in the score ranking and collected a huge amount of culture. Reasonable neighbours (Hatty and Roosevelt), Washington got completely surrounded by my culture later, but revolted only once.

I had one bad crisis around 1000 AD: I took an innocent look around the continent with a galley and just saw the Mongol border when Genghis Khan, obviously upset by my reckless provocation, decided to sink my ship. He proceeded by riding through Egypt lands to my country and burning every improvement I had to the ground. I barely hung on, but only because I was so productive to build an archer in one turn (Well, at least at the beginning of the invasion). Ultimately I "won" the war, but crashed down from the top to the middle of the pack.

Soon after that, in a major twist, I sent a caravel + explorer over to the new continent, exactly at 1500 AD (nice timing!). The explorer found a goody hut, and - Behold! - found the Astronomy tech in it. Dumb luck, but it gave me the edge to colonize the northern half of "America", while the tech-leading Persians colonized the South. (BTW the AIs queued up at my palace immediately after I got astronomy to ask for it - and not always in a nice way.)

To avoid another stupid invasion, I then went into submissive mode towards my neighbors, the Eggies and the Persians to get defensive pacts and bribed the Mongols to go hassle someone else (Gandhi. I don't like his Holier-Than-Thou-character.). That worked out nicely. The old continent looked a lot like modern Europe now, with some big countries, a lot of medium civs and some dwarfish states. (Roosevelt controlled exactly two tiles.)

So it became clear that the Persians and me were running away with the game. Cyrus had a sizable tech lead though. But then I pulled off a spectacular move: my midfieldish neighbor Hatty was not only pretty advanced too, but also very sweet to me now (+12) and agreed to engage into a permanent alliance (which lets you share techs and ongoing research.).

I was now ready to cruise to an easy victory. In a retarding (or ********) moment the weak peacemonger Gandhi beat me to the United Nations. I then nearly, but not quite reached a diplomatic victory for our team.

And then, in a shocking and unexpected move, Persia permanently allied with England to take back the lead. Both alliances were now nearly even in points (I had a better score than Cyrus and would have won on my own, but England was slighly bigger than Egypt.) and a mad space race ensued. (The allied Hatty-AI helped nicely and built three or four parts, believe it or not. Another round of applause for the AI programming.)

In the anticlimatic ending, we both missed the last space ship part in 2050 (by four turns in my case, sigh) but I - and by that I mean We - won the game on points. Had the Cyrus/Victoria team not got himself into an extremely silly war with Genghis Khan (I had nothing to do with that at all) shortly before the end, I would have lost.

It was unpredictable and exciting until the end, with major power shifts occurring several times. One of the best I've ever played and proof for the greatness of CIV.

10. bobbobjack

bobbobjack Chieftain

Interresting story ;)

I guess this setting in MP could lead to some crazy games... I'll try it soon.

11. Jedoc

Jedoc Warlord

I've noticed that the AI has an astonishing propensity for founding cities one tile away from the coast. Does this not cripple half of the civilizations in the map you described, since they're as likely as not to found their one and only city in a spot where a navy will never be possible? I'm just wondering if their city-placement protocols have been modified for the Terra maps.

12. Melkus

Melkus Chieftain

Well, some civs will never reach the coast, but there were enough coastal cities to make it interesting. And the Swiss or the Austrians were not known for their fearsome Pirates either, right?
    Of course, if the player starts in a place deeply inland, he/she should consider restarting.

13. Melkus

Melkus Chieftain

I found the savegame: http://neuronal.twoday.net/files/Civsave

Jedoc is right, but it's not that bad. The silliest by far was Gandhi, who has a capital with enormous culture (5 tiles to every side of the border) and never bothers to build a second city in this huge space. I guess the AI follows its starting location religiously.

(No matter how I compressed the savegame, I would always end up with a 504KB file, which is of course unbearably large for a site with a filesize limit of 500KB. So I couldn't upload directly.:crazyeye: )

14. Trismegistus

Trismegistus Chieftain

Am I a total idiot? I've been looking for a way to adjust how many other civs are in my game in civ4, but I haven't seen one...I thought it was auto-determined by the size/type of map you choose?

15. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

's in Custom Game rather than Play Now.

16. ffifield

ffifield Chieftain

You need to choose "custom game". When you get to the screen where you choose your civ and who your opponents will be you'll see a box at the bottom of the list and it will say "closed" in it. Hit the drop down box and set it to "AI." Keep doing this until you have the number of civs you want. Using the custom screen you can get exactly the number of opponents you want regardless of map size.

And all 18 civs on a duel map is a hoot. Be sure to invade early and build lots of culture to avoid being overwhelmed. Especially if you're resource challenged.

Edited for spelling.

17. Trismegistus

Trismegistus Chieftain

Thanks, Beef and ffi!

I guess I got so excited just to play as fast as I could, I ignored any options but "Play Now!" :D

Huge Pangaea with 1 opponent, here I come!

18. vodkamattvt

vodkamattvt Chieftain

Yes! Exactly. Too expensive to found cities that far away, and difficult and time consuming. Your interaction with the new world should consist of sending a few explorers over thats it, maybe later your best and fastest military unit to take out barbs on goodie huts (they seem to hang around on top of them). Once the huts are popped, let the computer bankrupt itself founding cities over there and spend your resources taking their good home cities.

Good premise for a map, not as workable with the game though.

19. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

This is a cool game setting. I started one yesterday and just finished. I started off by some stone with India (Industrious) and started hogging up all the early wonders. I was able to then get border expansion to build a second city and start taking over everyone's nice capitals.

20. Vizzini

Vizzini Warlord

Restart?? Negative! That's the perfect excuse to immediately flip out and go directly into Warmonger Mode and conquer a path to the coast!

CHARGE! :crazyeye: