Dueling Religious Billboards

It is possible (At the very least in theory) to know there is a God if you've found him, but since you can't look everywhere, Atheism cannot be adhered to with certainty.
But very specific doctrines of Christianity can be? :huh:

Well, most Mainstream Christians believe it will get the person who accepts into heaven, and some also believe it will save them from suffering in the next life. I would understand any other religion doing the same thing. But for atheists its silly.
So an ill-defined feeling of cosmic obligation is reasonable, but tangible societal change is "silly"? :huh:

There aren't many religious freaks in the government,
:lol:

but still, proselyting as an atheist is silly.
No it's not. I want a more secular society. I want atheists to be less taboo. I want people to know that it's ok to be an atheist. These ads are good.

It is possible (At the very least in theory) to know there is a God if you've found him, but since you can't look everywhere, Atheism cannot be adhered to with certainty.
You're really good at not making sense.

Silverman says the holiday season has been co-opted by newer traditions.

"There is no flying reindeer in the Bible," he said. "This is not just about Jesus."

To be fair, if you take the stories of the Old Testament to be allegorical, it could all be about flying reindeer.

That's the God I believe in!

I'm an atheist myself, but I say both sides should just shut the bloody hell up and take all the billboards down.

"We decided to counterpunch after a donor came forward seeking to challenge the anti-Christmas statement," said Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League, a New York-based Catholic advocacy group.

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

This argument over billboards is rather silly, considering you generally don't want the type of people who get converted by billboards on your side, for both sides.

I'm an atheist myself, but I say both sides should just shut the bloody hell up and take all the billboards down.
Good thing no one asked you.

For the most part, the point of the boards is to be encouraging to people who are already atheists. My favorite is the "you are not alone" one because I think it most closely adheres to that goal.

Yeah, why do atheists need to proselyte? They gain what again?

Why, what do Christians gain?

I don't really think anyone gains much from the billboards. They probably piss off more people than they 'convert'. I would think them largely counterproductive, unless they are highly agreeable, and not confronting ("you're a traitor!", for instance, is more confronting than "God loves you"). This is why part of me is perfectly happy with both atheists and more fundamental Christian groups coming up with such billboards (although the other part of me isn't).

This is why part of me is perfectly happy with both atheists and more fundamental Christian groups coming up with such billboards (although the other part of me isn't).
You only have two parts? :eek: Believe, and become whole! :D

Good thing no one asked you.

For the most part, the point of the boards is to be encouraging to people who are already atheists. My favorite is the "you are not alone" one because I think it most closely adheres to that goal.

He didn't ask you either. Why do Atheist need encouraging? If anyone, Muslims in America are the only ones who might need encouraging. After all, no one places blame for terror attacks on atheist.

I don't really think anyone gains much from the billboards. They probably piss off more people than they 'convert'. I would think them largely counterproductive...
On a serious note... Something that the billboard producers in particular (and proselytizers in general) seem to fail to understand is that people do look at these advertisements, and they say to themselves, "Do I want to be like the person who is saying this? Do I want to become pushy and intrusive? If I join them, what's to stop me becoming like them?" In other words, it's a classic case of Epic Empathy Fail.

You only have two parts? :eek: Believe, and become whole! :D

2 > 1

On a serious note... Something that the billboard producers in particular (and proselytizers in general) seem to fail to understand is that people do look at these advertisements, and they say to themselves, "Do I want to be like the person who is saying this? Do I want to become pushy and intrusive? If I join them, what's to stop me becoming like them?" In other words, it's a classic case of Epic Empathy Fail.

Exactly. I mean, I doubt there is a whole lot of market research going into the effectiveness of billboards by the small groups who manage to scrape together the necessary funds; they're probably just going on what they think is a good idea. But the manner in which they go about it would seem to be rather odd. Of course, they can get their message across through a billboard if the message is a nice and friendly one, but if it's overly confronting and in-your-face, then it's just going to be met with indignation.

Pissing off Christians with billboards is pretty fun anyways. I fully support the offensive ones even.

Pissing off Christians with billboards is pretty fun anyways. I fully support the offensive ones even.

Shows how mature you are then. Your not helping the atheist seem better with that post.

Top Bottom