Dumb and Stupid Quotes Thread: Idiotic Source and Context are Key.

Cutlass

The Man Who Wasn't There.
"I would like to know if our immigration authorities are letting in people who believe in polygamy. Polygamy is against our law. We've brought in thousands of Muslims -- I want to know if they made them sign a pledge to assure they're not bringing in a bunch of wives who will now go on welfare. Nobody can answer that question. I can't get any answers to that question."
—

Phyllis Schlafly

"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again". President W Bush.

Girls have an unfair advantage over men: if they can't get what they want by being smart, they can get it by being dumb.
Yul Brynner

"I would like to know if our immigration authorities are letting in people who believe in polygamy. Polygamy is against our law. We've brought in thousands of Muslims -- I want to know if they made them sign a pledge to assure they're not bringing in a bunch of wives who will now go on welfare. Nobody can answer that question. I can't get any answers to that question."
—

Phyllis Schlafly

My friend just got his citizenship and he actually showed us a list of questions he had to answer under oath. Answering yes to any of them would be grounds for denial of citizenship and one of those questions is - surprise! - 'do you practice or have you practiced polygamy'.

Here's a few of my favorites:

"Justice is incidental to law and order." J. Edgar Hoover

"It seems to me that the more Christian a country is the less likely it is to regard the death penalty as immoral." Antonin Scalia

Full quote here.

"If we are entitled to kill people, we must be entitled to injure them." John Yoo, author of the so-called Torture Memos which were used as a pretext for the US government to torture people after 9/11

If you just go with the flow, no matter what weird things happen along the way, you always end up exactly where you belong. -Tom Upton

Club 18-30.

Are those still going?

A friend of mine went on one of those holidays when he was 45.

I don't know, they probably won't be going here but to some island anyway :)

I do recall the english shows about people trying to run a beach-bar on some island of the aegean archipelago, though. I did try to forget them...

"the most ethical administration in the history of the Republic" - Bill Clinton's pledge for his administration

Was it, or was it not, a classic dumb statement by Obama?

You say that as if you are drawing attention to a point of fact, but it's not.

I'd post more, but I'm busy digging up some stuff on George Zimmerman, Ron Paul, and the American Civil War.

"the most ethical administration in the history of the Republic" - Bill Clinton's pledge for his administration

To be fair, it wasn't the least ethical administration. Good ol' Nixon and some of the corrupt 19th century fellows are tough to beat.

Ohhhhhhhhhh! I see now. 'Twas a quote.

I wish people would put quotes in quotation marks or in quote boxes.

Otherwise I think they're saying some directly. And it baffles me.

Ohhhhhhhhhh! I see now. 'Twas a quote.

I wish people would put quotes in quotation marks or in quote boxes.

Otherwise I think they're saying some directly. And it baffles me.

Edited. Better now?

Top Bottom