Dumb blonde question

kiwikim

Chieftain
Hi folks,

Hoping maybe someone can help me with my latest problem that is sure to have an obvious answer (I hope). I have been able to build machine guns and riflemen for a while in my latest game, but have now found that the option for both them have disappeared. This coincided with my discovering rocketry, and resulted in all the machine guns I was building being turned into Sam infantry (totally useless at this stage, because no one else is anywhere near to dicovering flight, except me)

I've checked in the back of the manual, where it says that both riflemen and machine guns are not dependent on resources, so it can't be that I've lost the crucial resource (and I don't think I have lost any). But obviously something has gone wrong, but just what is beyond me. Any suggestions? Am I just being blonde again? (no stereotyping intended!! I'm blonde and allowed to make fun of myself before any other blondes out there climb on their soap boxes :lol: )

kiwikim,

Once you have access to an improved version of a unit, the older canot be built any longer. When you gain access to cavalry, you will not be able to build knights any more, the same for moder armor and tanks, cavalry and gunship, etc...

But I see no point on not building the newer units, since they have better stats overall.

Hmmm, I am sure that in the previous games I've played the machine gun option remained, and I thought that riflemen where replaced by infantry?

meisen said:
Sounds like when you discovered rocketry, you also made your machinegun units obsolete as sam infantry (why would someone name all their soldiers sam?) appears to be what they upgrade to.

Before researching a tech, I usually look to see what that tech will cause to go obsolete first and wait on that tech and research another if I don't want those units or improvements/wonders to go obsolete yet.

SAM infantry, the "SAM" refers to "surface to air missile".

because John refers to the Joint Operation against Hungarian Natives, which we will initiate tomorrow...

Ups it was meant to be a secret - goofy me :)

All sillyness aside, I'd like to know the answer as well. I had a similar issue with modern tanks - I had the necessary resources, but all of a sudden I couldn't build them any more.

I'm wondering that if you gain a tech that upgrades your units to a new version, but the new version requires you to have a certain resource. Kind of leaves you in a catch-22, but I would think the system should still let you build the obsolete unit.

- Sligo

sligo said:
All sillyness aside, I'd like to know the answer as well. I had a similar issue with modern tanks - I had the necessary resources, but all of a sudden I couldn't build them any more.

I'm wondering that if you gain a tech that upgrades your units to a new version, but the new version requires you to have a certain resource. Kind of leaves you in a catch-22, but I would think the system should still let you build the obsolete unit.

- Sligo

Are you sure you didn't trade those resources away?
Also, if you don't have the necessary resources to build a new unit, you can still build the old version.

@Kiwikim - There are no resource requirements for Musketmen,Riflemen, Redcoats, Infantry, Machine Gun or SAM infantry, just the respective techs, and the game is written in the expectation that the newer units will be the ones most appropriate. This can indeed be a drawback if you are noticeably ahead of your rivals, and the obvious thing to do is to get yourself still further ahead so that you can mince the enemy with tanks etc. for which you, most definitely, need Oil. The 'tank' tech, Industrialism, must be surely be within fairly easy reach.

meisen said:
Do people call surface to air missiles by the name sam too? Doesn't that get confusing? Especially for the logistics people? Why not give then another name like john?

In all seriousness, to answer your question. In the US Military (and most others I presume) they do call "Surface to Air Missiles," SAMs.

This seems a good place to repeat a joke from the Arab-Israeli war. It was said that the Arabs sent a message to their arms suppliers, saying "Stop sending surface-to-air missiles. Send surface-to-aircraft missiles."

Bushface said:
This seems a good place to repeat a joke from the Arab-Israeli war. It was said that the Arabs sent a message to their arms suppliers, saying "Stop sending surface-to-air missiles. Send surface-to-aircraft missiles."

"Our aim is to make SAM's effective. Your aim will help!"

lol

- Sligo

Top Bottom