Dumbest AI moves

That said, you can (if the moon is just right and you really believe) see it do something that easily establishes a new standard for stupid.

Irony?

Anyway, I like how you can occasionally bait a whole stack away with an undefended worker or scout

I don't know if it is the dumbest: I've seen diferent AI's settling on one corner of my territory with no resources nearby but the ones inside my culture... are they trying to stablish a beachhead or just annoy me?
I've done that to establish a base from which to launch a bomber/tank war. I'll settle a city with nothing but coast to work, assuming it will at least be able to work a fish or something after taking down the first city.

This is from a game I played a couple of years ago (one of my first Emperor games, Huge/Marathon/Pangea). I'm all the way on the far Eastern side of a huge continent. I start slowly, but surely, expanding West and South. Soon I realize Vicky is teching very well. Later I realize that Vicky is in a prime position to become a runaway AI. So I start expanding out towards her, and fight my way through about three civs to get an ample military to her borders. It takes a long time, and I'm dreading that she'll have Rifles or Infantry before I get in a position to attack. When I'm finally ready to drop the hammer I discover the truth: she never teched Rifling. She went Scientific Method, Physics, Biology, et al, and even Assembly Line, but never teched Rifling. :confused: As the Ottoman Hordes came ever closer, she did absolutely nothing to defend herself. Fail, Vicky, fail. :lol:

I did a small LP for youtube on prince and by turn 60 the AI only had two warriors.

I had just launched my spaceship and noticed on victory conditions that Gandhi would win with a cultural victory by 5 turns. I was too far away to do anything about it. So I get to five turns before it lands and.. nothing. Checked again and he was 40 turns from cultural victory. Seems he dropped his culture rate at the last minute for absolutely no reason at all! :lol:

I've done that to establish a base from which to launch a bomber/tank war. I'll settle a city with nothing but coast to work, assuming it will at least be able to work a fish or something after taking down the first city.

Yeah but what they do is: keep a crappy city, block my coastline, and get that "our close borders piss me off."

Most of the time my culture takes over or I just attack it along with their main territories.

An AI stacks up a formidable line of protective longbowmen in their capital over a few turns...

... and then proceeds to move then out in eight different directions. I then proceed to take his city with one knight.

An AI stacks up a formidable line of protective longbowmen in their capital over a few turns...

... and then proceeds to move then out in eight different directions. I then proceed to take his city with one knight.
I recall playing a Darius game where I decided to rush a nearby Alexander. His capital had 6 archers on a hill when my immortals (12 of them) got to the spot in the nook of its bfc. He proceeded to move 4 of them out the turn before I DoWed and took his capital. Then he attacked a force of unwounded Immortals on a hill with the 4 archers returning to Athens. Not exactly roleplaying the great general, was the AI.

I've seen the AI do this too often to think it rare though. It's usually not quite that dramatic though.

I have to admit, my justification for the drama is kinda underplayed by the fact it was a GG knight against a Crossbow garrison. Still, it's insane as to why they do this.

A common AI move is to build Versailles in Capital or in a city next to capital.

It's fun to do a mounted/spies war because you'll have enough spy points to see that their cities are producing nothing to stop your troops whatsoever. I was conquering with Cataphracts - first the Mayans, who kept on building Versailles, Caravels, Prisons and other espionage buildings while I beat down his troops. Then the Incas, who were producing...Quechuas (about 1200 AD)! It was strange...

Monty and Brennus have been at war, and each taken a city from the other. After they kiss and make up, they never exchange cities back. Both cities end up culture starved while I finish conquering the rest of the world. :lol:

Spoiler :

In another game, Suryavarman takes a city that is sandwiched between me (going for a culture win) and Ramesses (who always has culture to spare). We're on a Pangea map and the rest of Survy's civ is on the far side of the continent. He lets it starve down to one population and cost him who knows how much maintenance to hang on to it. :p

The AI often fortifies its units around cities (not in them) for apparently no reason, and then doesn't move them into the cities when they're under attack. In my current game, I declared war on Louis with 6 Quechuas. His capital had 2 Archers in it and 1 Archer fortified on a forest right next to the city. Although it still took a couple of turns until my stack reached his city, he refused to move his Archer into his city, and I took his capital easily.

I just finished a Deity game where Ragnar is almost equal to me (Huyana Capac) in power. He DOW's. His invasion force? 1 chariot which took a worker right next to a city with 2 spearmen in it and... 2 Buddhist missionaries. I am not kidding.

So, I move my army out. I have been building troops like crazy the 50 turns of the game, and have a decent mixed army of Axes promoted from Quechuas, spears, swords, and HA's. I attack him. He has 5 cities, but he has only 2 or 3 units in each. Where is his army?

After he's down to one city, I sent a HA to look around the countryside (because the city was walled on a plains hill, so I was waiting until my 2 catapults made their way down before attacking.) Turns out he had 6 axes, 5 swords, 4 chariots, and 4 archers (and ANOTHER Buddhist missionary) attacking a barbarian city far to the east.

I was going to say that, but dismissed it as too obvious. :p

Scouts can't attack, so he had no reason to stay.

Like cheese said, he could have moved it into Berlin and fortified it, or he could have blockaded my warrior (which would have been just as effective.), but he didin't. Besides, I didn't have it set to require total kills.

Top Bottom