1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumbest thing you've seen the AI do

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by wpfossil, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Harv72b

Harv72b Prince

Game I just finished (and lost :cry: ). It's in the late game, I'm pushing for an ill-advised wide culture victory when Hiawatha starts pumping out spaceship parts. I have nukes turned off & he's a couple eras ahead of me, so I'm screwed, but then both he & Persia DoW me out of the blue (we'd been friends for the entire game until I chose Freedom & they both went Order).

It's Small Continents & both me and Hiawatha have one to ourselves. For the longest time nothing happens, which is fine by me as my entire navy consists of 3 frigates & a caravel. Then the Iroquois show up with a fleet consisting of 4 battleships, 3 Privateers, a Carrier (with two fighters), and a few embarked units. He ends up taking one city, which actually helped me...it was my newest & smallest, and the only city holding me up from building Oxford & NSA. I capture a battleship in the process, blow through some techs so I can upgrade my own frigates, take back the city (after building my national wonders), and set sail for his coast with a fleet of my own. Take one city & as I'm healing up for a push on his capital...

...Darius shows up at the opposite end of my continent with a fleet of his own. He's got 4 battleships, an ironclad, and 3 privateers off the coast of my island city (the one with the GBR), and all I have to defend the area is one lonely crossbow in garrison. I upgrade the crossbow to a gatling gun, buy a battleship, and click next turn expecting to lose my city, when...

...he offers me an even up peace treaty! No possible way I could have held that city for even the one turn, and no way I could've recaptured it in less than 15 more (that's assuming he didn't roll on for more of my unprotected cities on that flank). So of course I accept & continue my assault on Hiawatha's capital, only to learn what happens when battleships and ironclads meet Mr. Nuclear Submarine & his pal, Stealth Bomber. :wallbash:

2. draaibaar

draaibaar Warlord

Recently, Caesar with 3 city's almost conquered Maria Theresia's only wonder spamming capital .. and accepted my lousy gift to make peace with her.

3. Frdmlover

Frdmlover Chieftain

I feel like I am cheating when I use Citadels.
    AI NEVER understands what will happen if they end their turn with half their army next to my citadel. Once the inevitable happens and the AI restocks...hello, the blood letting begins all over again. I actually feel bad for the non sentient units!

This is an issue that really needs to be fixed because it gives a huge advantage to the human player, I would even go so far as to call it exploitable.

-Frdmlover

4. draaibaar

draaibaar Warlord

That's true about Citadels. Once AI DOW'ed me and took over my citadel (I just had left). I was like :wallbash: Next turn AI left the citadel ... and I could take over. In my current game one AI had build 2 Citadels next to each other..

5. Frdmlover

Frdmlover Chieftain

@ AiTashi1 - my experience has been much the same as what you described. AI certainly knows to take out the melee units when its city is being attacked. Sometimes it does make a mistake, but I attribute that to the same kind of mistake a human player might make more infinite reasons. The reality is if a city is overwhelmed it doesn't really what unit gets hit first, but if things are kinda even-steven, the AI has had me backing off on many occasions.

-Frdmlover

6. Frdmlover

Frdmlover Chieftain

It seems really dumb for the AI to ask for two cities, tons of gold and one of each of my resources for Peace when it is obvious they do not wield the upper hand, when at best they might be able to stalemate a conflict but they certainly cannot dominate it. And it is even more ridiculous when they are obviously on the losing end of the conflict no matter which way they toss the dice. I can see giving it a try once as a bluff, but not when I don't capitulate and in fact take another city or kill off another 1/2 of their army.

Next is the other end of the spectrum when in the same scenario they simply refuse to discuss peace. I can see this happening again from time to time, as some civs are just that stubborn and would rather be wiped out than capitulate...but not nearly as often as it occurs.

-Frdmlover

7. Ozzy88

Ozzy88 Chieftain

Dumbest thing I see the AI do, and I see it every game is declare that my military might is weak and DoW me despite being the richest, most advanced a well defended Civ the world will ever see.

Why can't they process the fact that I can start spewing out defensive units almost indefinately if they try and test me?

8. Avatan

Avatan Warlord

Emperor archipelago, Alexander is the score/army/pop leader and DOWed me once already. I'm growing afraid and decide to surprise attack his coastal capital with 6 frigates and two privater.
    His land is swarming with unit that I Distract with a fake d-day up north while I bombard his wonder-filled capital. I take it in 3 turns but my troop have been butchered and I only have my navy left. As I expected it to be.

He start attacking his capital to take it back, which is fine by me as I only wanted to slow him down, but as it has almost no life left and is surrounded he offer an even peace treaty.

Stupid.

It was a great game overall, but the AI really seems to struggle on watermap. I was expecting it but not this bad!

9. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

In a King game last night as the Maya, I was going for Diplomatic but my plans were scuppered towards the end by runaway Caesar on another continent, who gave me a scare when he built Apollo before I was even in the Atomic era. I threw everything into my science production - faith-buying as many Great Scientists as I could, rushbuying the last few Research Labs I didn't have, building Trading Posts everywhere, you name it, I was doing it. By the time I built Apollo he already had two Boosters and the Cockpit. Crap, I thought, I've lost this one.

I built Hubble and burned the two GSs which gave me a much-needed tech boost and started working on the Cockpit, aware that I could potentially lose the game in a handful of turns. By now he was only missing the Engine and the Stasis Chamber. I pushed my smaller cities to the brink of starvation so I could start work on the Boosters. Having saved Oxford and the Rationalism finisher, I timed them to perfection, using them to bag myself Robotics, Nanotechnology and Particle Physics in the space of a turn. I had by now completely caught up Caesar's tech lead. Fortunately, the production in my Hubble-building capital was phenomenal, and I only needed 8 turns to finish the last two parts. Breathing a sigh of relief and congratulating myself on my Herculean efforts, I thought I would send over a spy to Rome just to have a look at how old Augustus was getting along...

...and saw his Stasis Chamber and Engine, ready-built. Sitting there. Next to Rome. Ready to be added to the spaceship at any moment.

Panicking, I scrabbled together as many units as I could muster and embarked them, knowing full well they wouldn't get there in time. He was about to win. Except he didn't. Or the next turn. Or the next. I didn't even declare war and won a perfectly straightforward Science victory, and all the while he sat there with his last two spaceship parts already built and watched me do it.

If that's not the dumbest thing the AI has ever done, I don't know what is!

10. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

I presume he had another civilian unit already in the capital, blocking the spaceship parts...

I've seen this before, they don't seem to understand about swapping units about...

11. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

That was the crazy part. The Stasis Chamber was in his capital. He just didn't know what to do with it, despite already adding 4 parts to the spaceship. D'oh!

12. jahsoldier

jahsoldier Warlord

I offer Bismarck peace in exchange for two of his cities and his one Gold resource. He says that's not a fair deal at all. I offer peace for three of his cities, the extra one being the one connected to the Gold. He graciously accepts. :crazyeye:

13. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

The dumbest thing I see the AI do is DOW me. If the AI were to learn from past games, it would learn that DOW on me will most likely result in losing first all of their ill positioned military units (which give them a false sense of hope) followed by any well placed (especially the capital) cities.

14. Roboe

Roboe Chieftain

Had my first Immortal game last night, on a small 3-continent map with myself as Babylon and Denmark, The Huns, and America opposing me. Atilla had pretty much spent the entire game plotting against me, and when he finally did DOW me, all he showed up with were two privateers who took out an outdated unit I had been using as a spotter, and left it at that.

Why was it the dumbest thing I've seen an AI do? Because he was already at war with both Denmark and America. He basically DOWed to kill a single caravel and then demanded just about everything under the sun to make peace again. I settled for the submarine warfare option instead...

15. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

In my latest game, I'm playing as Japan on a very large continent shaped like a "J". I'm in the very middle of the J and had spread to the bottom of the hook. I started to look north toward Germany, when the Celts and Iroquois (whom I had just defeated) surprise DOW me. I had one lone Samurai to protect the city, but I was already building more troops to send that way.

Boudicca sends a swarm of Pikemen to my southernmost city, the former Iroquois capital. At this point, I'm thinking, "I'm kinda boned." I made my very well promoted Samurai pick at the front lines and keep retreating into the city to heal.

Rather than try and take the southern city, though, Boudicca tries to run past it, catching herself in between the city and a Citidel I had set up to grab some spare luxuries. She never even bothered pillaging the undefended Citidel, she just kept marching through - apparently intent on taking my far-away capital. I couldn't believe it. My lone Samurai (granted, a much more powerful unit than anything she had) with the back-up that came eventually, routed her entire army. Then the army the Iroquois sent over, then another wave of Celts, before eventually wiping the Iroquois off the map and eventually taking Edinburgh.

If Boudicca had just focused on taking my southernmost city, it would have been a different game entirely.

16. Ford

Ford Warlord

I had taken Rome's second city, and Augustus launched an attack to retake it, which raged for three turns before it would inevitably fall the next turn. I just couldn't keep up the defence for another round, the city was down to <10% defence and surrounded.
    Rome? Called me up and asked for peace.

17. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Before G&K, the AI often would give up everything they had for peace. Then they changed that and swung to the other extreme. I miss the rediculous (good) peace deals they would offer because it was something you never ever saw before in the Civ series. It also made sense much of the time. Take an early rush: If you defeat an AI's early rush and then push on to the point where you are about to take their whole civilization, they should just give you what you demand. At an early point in the game, there is still enough land (often times, not always) for them to re-expand and recover from the loss. The alternative is that you knock them out of the game for good.

Also, while the AI will now refuse to offer good peace terms when losing, they will still demand everything you have for peace, both when they are winning and sometimes even when they are losing. It's the worst of both worlds.

They will still sometimes offer up a city or two for peace, but it's become as rare as it was in all of the past Civ games now. I don't necessarily want every peace offer to be favorable to the player, but they really screwed up this whole mechanic when they changed it.

18. Tachii

Tachii Procrastinator

Not sure what you're talking about, most civs still try to offer everything they have if they were going to lose their capital/civ soon once I defeated his/her large army back (if s/he was the aggressor first) in my Immortal games.

My recent game Attila offered 1500+ gold, 2 luxuries when our army count at the end was about equal (I took one of his cities). One thing you have to consider is at different times the AI will offer different peace treaties. So often check what kind of offer they'll make, instead of waiting for them to ask for the peace treaty.

I had another game as the Aztecs and surprise-jumped on Japan who was the runaway civ at that point with 15+ cities, conquering Russia and Attila. My initial military count was weaker than his but with a few Battleships and War bombers against his endless land units, he didn't stood a chance.

At the end I couldn't believe my eyes. I was the aggressor, but still when the peace treaty came he wanted to offer everything he had. That included 4 cities: Shimonoseki, Nagasaki, Yokohama, and Espoo. So that he only had one city now at the bottom of the continent when Kyoto was nearly at the top.
    Civ5Screen0024 copy.jpg

Of course it's rare for civs to offer cities but they usually offer a bunch of gold. They do occasionally still ask for a bunch of stuff from me when I have the upper hand but when I wear down their cities and their military count is lower or equal than mine, they will offer a lot of stuff.

19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

This almost never happens to me after G&K and I've read other players complaints on this issue. I didn't say it never happens, but it's become much rarer in my experience. It doesn't matter if I take capitols and/or other cities - the AI won't give up anything for peace most of the time. The best I can hope for is an 'even' peace, and sometimes I'll be clearly winning and they still demand that I give up cities, gold, etc.

20. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

It generally follows a pattern - if you DOW them the first time, and get a loot peace, don't DOW them again. Let them DOW you (so you can smash their armies and get even more loot).

If you let them keep DOWing you and you smash their armies real good, they will tend to give really good deals.

An example is Immortal Suleiman here:

Being extremely obvious:

Spoiler :

The main event itself:

Spoiler :

The end:

Spoiler :

But The Suleiman is like a crazed warmonger, on par with Monty - he DOWs everyone and will keep going as long as his civilization exists.

So...

To be honest, I was expecting the Huns to DOW me with this:

Spoiler :

But The Suleiman decided to be like a comedy spoiler. A really bad one.

Spoiler :

Then we had the peace of peaces.

Spoiler :

Of course, I'm now worried he will tech to Janissary before I get to Minutemen, so my CBs (and maybe Crossbows) will definitely have to hold the line while I go upper tech Renaissance-Industrial.

Spoiler :

Got a Uni up in Boston, so its time to get staffing.