Dunkirk

Dachs

Hero of the Soviet Union
So the new Christopher Nolan joint got a teaser trailer!

Link to video.

It is appropriately artsy and period-y with ticking Hans Zimmer clocks and the sound of Ju-87s. Other than that, it doesn't show much.

THAT SAID! It is a Nolan joint (with all that that entails), it is about the evacuation of Allied forces from the port of Dunkirk in May/June 1940, and it is coming out 21 July 2017. It will star Tom Hardy's Latest Accent, Ken "Benedick is a Funny Name" Branagh, Mark "Fake Russian Accent" Rylance, Cillian "Death By Exile" Murphy, and Harry Styles, the last of whom will appeal to the coveted One Direction fanclub demographic.

Are you - pun absolutely intentional, FOH - on board?

A couple of months after reading Britain's War Machine, which set out explicitly to challenge the use of Dunkirk and the Second World War in general as part of a national myth of 'plucky little Britain', I'm expecting to find that this jars a little - though I'm sure it will be a perfectly good film, the billing certainly seems like they're trying to make it so.

A couple of months after reading Britain's War Machine, which set out explicitly to challenge the use of Dunkirk and the Second World War in general as part of a national myth of 'plucky little Britain', I'm expecting to find that this jars a little - though I'm sure it will be a perfectly good film, the billing certainly seems like they're trying to make it so.

JHFC, Flying Pig, you of all people here recognize the difference here. Though Britain was a global Empire with tremendous resources at its back, that did little for the men stuck at then beach at the end of May who had full confidence that they wouldn't be left in such a situation. I have yet to read Edgerton's book, but I know you identify that the difference between what the Empire could do and what her sons had to do was a deep gulf.

So the new Christopher Nolan joint got a teaser trailer!

It is appropriately artsy and period-y with ticking Hans Zimmer clocks and the sound of Ju-87s. Other than that, it doesn't show much.

THAT SAID! It is a Nolan joint (with all that that entails), it is about the evacuation of Allied forces from the port of Dunkirk in May/June 1940, and it is coming out 21 July 2017. It will star Tom Hardy's Latest Accent, Ken "Benedick is a Funny Name" Branagh, Mark "Fake Russian Accent" Rylance, Cillian "Death By Exile" Murphy, and Harry Styles, the last of whom will appeal to the coveted One Direction fanclub demographic.

Are you - pun absolutely intentional, FOH - on board?

Wait, are you on board or not on board? Is this post purely contemptuous derision or are you simultaneously interested and prepared for disaster?

Link to video.

I didn't know that Scarecrow Irishman and Kenneth Branagh were in this. With success comes clout, and with clout comes money and there cometh the STARS!!!

I'll watch anything Nolan is involved in. Even when the film fails cinematically (e.g. The Prestige and Interstellar), his movies are never not a visual treat to behold.

The very first shot of the trailer is an absolute masterpiece compositionally.

JHFC, Flying Pig, you of all people here recognize the difference here. Though Britain was a global Empire with tremendous resources at its back, that did little for the men stuck at then beach at the end of May who had full confidence that they wouldn't be left in such a situation. I have yet to read Edgerton's book, but I know you identify that the difference between what the Empire could do and what her sons had to do was a deep gulf.
This sort of thing, more than any opinion about Nolan's filmmaking talent and history or lack thereof, is what makes me uneasy about Dunkirk. The events of the evacuation can certainly make for a fine film. The individuals who retreated from Dunkirk and the people who made it possible accomplished remarkable things. Furthermore, the evacuation being the story plays havoc with the typical obnoxious triumphalist theme seen in many of the more ham-handed war films. It's hard to be super jingoistic about getting the tar beat out of you and running away.

Naturally, many British people actually can be jingoistic about it, because they can be jingoistic about anything, and the annoying "plucky little Britain" narrative will undoubtedly surface in some way.
Wait, are you on board or not on board? Is this post purely contemptuous derision or are you simultaneously interested and prepared for disaster?
I am on board, for this reason:
I'll watch anything Nolan is involved in.
His movies are exceptionally fun to watch, even when they try humor and don't quite get it right, or when they give me existential night terrors (thanks, The Prestige).

I hope not. That appears to be a thread by Mouthwash ^^

Tesla's memoirs are more about how he had flashes of lights playing in his mind every time he was in mortal danger, or how he had to keep count of all steps he took on a road in a way what they give an integer when divided by 3.

And electricity stuff, of course :)

DunKirk

Attachments

• DunKirk.png
    DunKirk.png
    19 KB · Views: 261
I'll watch it.:)

While wondering if there will be any Frenchmen involved? And how they might get presented?

While wondering if there will be any Frenchmen involved? And how they might get presented?

As an Anglo-American production you'd think they're bound to be Haende hoch, selling Tommies out to les Boches faster than Danny Cooksey can sell John Connor out to liquid terminators. But I think it's fair to say that they will have some part of the narrative, if in no other way than to gaze wistfully at the departing ships at the film's conclusion before turning numbly south and steeling themselves for four years of gathering strength for the morning, followed by a Tom Hardy voice-over as the camera pans up over the Channel and towards the sky. Fade to black, boom, Thunderous Applause, credits, Zimmer Finale, and a champagne toast at Warner Bros for a $650 million global gross.

Can we also have a movie about how the french command and the french government managed to defeat itself in the Battle of France? Has anyone already made one?

I'll watch anything Nolan is involved in. Even when the film fails cinematically (e.g. The Prestige and Interstellar), his movies are never not a visual treat to behold.

:eek: I wasn't aware that anyone thought this.

Can we also have a movie about how the french command and the french government managed to defeat itself in the Battle of France? Has anyone already made one?

The U.S. command was pretty self-defeating, too, but we overcame that with industry and sheer numbers. It just resulted in a lot more dead people.

Nolan does an historical film? I hope he didn't write it. He won't be able to get away with the things he does in his more 'plot-flexible' films. I'm sure it's gonna be great anyway, at least on a visual level.

Top Bottom