Duration between turns

The AI IS making thier move so it sorta adds realism.:)

Well that's exactly it, there's alot of things going on when you're finished your turn. You can't expect all those calculations to occur instantly. Compared to how long it takes the human player to make all his/her decisions and their moves, the AI is pretty speedy. Can the player do all of that instantly?

i find that if I don't have pc set up in the way I describe, each turn would be taking minutes rather than seconds,:eek:

Pinky and the Brain sum up my approach to playing Civ. Lamentably, they also sum up my success at same.

YAY! i can so relate! :)
massive fan of those 2 mice.
brain is playing on deity offcource, hence his succesrate.

YAY! i can so relate! :)
massive fan of those 2 mice.
brain is playing on deity offcource, hence his succesrate.

Yet he doesn't know how a microwave works!

Any fan of the show would know THAT!:)

How long do y'all have to wait for the AI between turns at, say, 1900 AD on a Huge map? For me it's upwards of 60 seconds, and I have a laptop purchased this year with typical stats.

I love civ4 so much that I'm considering building a desktop just to play it optimally with aniso and FSAA on, but I'm wondering if the wait between turns will not improve by much since it is tied mainly to the CPU/memory and not the graphics card (correct me if I'm wrong about this).

Be glad you don't play Civ3, at later turns, one turn takes up to 30 minutes!!
That's a long time!

Because you see all your enemies moves, so if you have 8 enemies and all of them have 30 units to move, then you can sleep between the turns :)

i cant believe people played that. i can barely stand to wait more than 30 seconds. so much so that by the time i get to the later game i dont want to play as much. normally i'll get stoned and really want to play my civ game, but when i know im near the end i dont want to so much because i know really i'll just end up sitting there waiting more than i play.

i dont think we should have to wait. when we play halo we dont wait around for the game to load the graphics of a guy throwing a grenade, then wait again in the middle of a firefight. those graphics are better than civ and there's a lot going on too. on most games the only time u wait 30 seconds is to load a level, once. on civ every time you end a turn it's like you're loading the game again. i think that's ridiculous.

i dont think we should have to wait. when we play halo we dont wait around for the game to load the graphics of a guy throwing a grenade, then wait again in the middle of a firefight. those graphics are better than civ and there's a lot going on too. on most games the only time u wait 30 seconds is to load a level, once. on civ every time you end a turn it's like you're loading the game again. i think that's ridiculous.

what about chess? That has the worst graphics yet against a good AI you still gotta wait minutes between moves. :)

Because you see all your enemies moves, so if you have 8 enemies and all of them have 30 units to move, then you can sleep between the turns :)

Oh yeah, I remember hearing that annoying industrial age music and the cheap sound quality of the endless horsemen pattering through your lands. It DID take 30 minutes.

(Looks to the sky in nostalgia.)

Top Bottom