Dutch Empire

Quindo

Chieftain
Hey all,

Being a long-time lurker on these boards, I finally have a reason to post. The reason being the mod I just uploaded:

DutchMod adds the Dutch Empire to the game!

Very economy-oriented.

Leader: William of Orange
Trait: Eye for Profit: +1 Gold on tiles with at least 2 Gold.
Special Unit: East Indiaman: Replaces Frigate, 1 extra movement, 1 extra range.
Special Building: VOC Exchange Bank: Replaces Bank, provides an additional 2 Culture.

Looking for a civ that's economy-oriented? Look no further.
Looking for a civ that's loosely based on Dutch historic facts? Look no further.
Looking for in-game coffeeshops and prostitutes? Look somewhere else.

Note:
- The trait is a bit OP still, but any suggestions would be welcome. The feel of the civ I'm aiming at is that of a sneaky, traiterous merchant.
- Same goes for unique building and unit.

Spoiler :

Pottery, get it?

Find the mod in the in-game mod browser or attached here and don't forget to thumbs-up if you liked it!

Updated to v.8!
Any feedback would be appreciated.

~Quindo

Attachments

• DutchMod (v 8).rar
    439.4 KB · Views: 557
What do the UU and UB do? And it's kind of weird that you used the logo of the national football team :p

some ideas for the trait, keeping in mind that it's often easier to code if it's already in the game:
- x% of excess happiness added to the money income (like mandate of heaven policy)
- x% of money income added to happiness/golden age points (otherway around)
- + x% money in cities with a harbor/seaport (like Humanism policy)
- + x money from each luxury resources (like Protectionism policy)
- get extra gold in a Golden Age

I tried to use it but it wont show up. Only my Venic one shows up. And I checked the enabled section and they both are selected. Why is it?

What do the UU and UB do? And it's kind of weird that you used the logo of the national football team :p

some ideas for the trait, keeping in mind that it's often easier to code if it's already in the game:
- x% of excess happiness added to the money income (like mandate of heaven policy)
- x% of money income added to happiness/golden age points (otherway around)
- + x% money in cities with a harbor/seaport (like Humanism policy)
- + x money from each luxury resources (like Protectionism policy)
- get extra gold in a Golden Age

I updated the original post to show the UU & UB's functions. As for the logo.. Yes I was in a hurry, but I really liked the lion with the flamebreath:p I'll give it a redesign tho..

I like you're suggestions a lot and thinking about the extra income during golden ages, since it would really suit the dutchies. Maybe it'd be a good idea to change the bank's output from 2 Culture to 2 Happiness for quicker GA's, but then it would be similar to the Satraps Court..

Thnx for trying it out!

Nice one, Quindo! :goodjob:

As per the Lion: it´s derived from an old heraldic sign for the Netherlands (although the lion - with or without small breath - might be more appropriate).

"VOC Exchange bank" is a misnomer: the VOC (Dutch East India Company) was the world´s first to entaminate an exchange (not a bank), which was quickly copied by the English - as was the VOC itself. ;)

How is this for more balanced?

UA: Trade Empire: +20% gold in coastal cities.
UB: Windmolen (Replaces Windmill) bonus: +2 food, +10% Production building Naval Units (on top of the +15% from Windmill itself)
UU: East Indiaman (Replaces Caravel) bonus: +2 Movement, +3 Ranged Combat

The Stock Exchange is already in the game. The Dutch just had them earlier then most.

Windmills were famous for their use as sawmills for shipbuilding and for pumping lakes and parts of the sea dry for use as farmland in the Dutch Republic/Empire.

This might seem like a huge boost, but both bonusses are minor and the Naval production bonus is only usable in coastal cities.

The Dutch and English fought many wars for naval supremacy. The Dutch kept their dominance by outbuilding the Brits with money (Trade Empire) and production (Windmolen).

Technically the Brits didn't have faster ships (Sun Never Sets) nor was the Ship of the Line in any way a unique English ship. But the English trait and UU shouldn't be countered by the Dutch Empire because every nation needs to have unique advantages.

The East Indiaman really was a well armed, long range, merchant and in no way a replacement or even comparible to real warships (Frigate and Ship of the Line).

As a replacement for Caravels it is more accurate and works better. The extra movement helps to explore more quickly (just as quickly as the English with their Sun Never Sets). The extra attack makes it superior to other Caravels (the Dutch often overtook Portugues and Spanish colonies).

Balance:
The trait only favors coastal cities.
The unique building is the biggest advantage but cannot be build on hilly cities and is only fully effective in coastal cities.
The unique unit is a replacement for a militaristically unimportant unit.

How about the "dijk" a special building that gives 1 production on water tiles that are worked on? Given that water tiles produce gold (Lord Alderaan's post) and a bit of production makes coastal cities interesting? Of course building a dijk would be like a small wonder on its self...

Or how about:

UB: Polder (Replaces Windmill): +3 food

First great this mod since I'm dutch so finnaly a reason to register further the last time I did hear the name of Willem van Oranje was it not William of Orange but as I already earlier said His name was Willem van Oranje en niet William of Orange.

PS:Yes I now,if you translate the name it becomes William of Orange.

I think its silly how people wish to replace the VOC exchange bank with something like polders or windmills. Why not give all units wooden shoes while we're at it? Instead we might rename it to VOC Trade Office or something. Or make the VOC a national wonder that only the Dutch can build.

First great this mod since I'm dutch so finnaly a reason to register further the last time I did hear the name of Willem van Oranje was it not William of Orange but as I already earlier said His name was Willem van Oranje en niet William of Orange.

PS:Yes I now,if you translate the name it becomes William of Orange.

The 'van Oranje'/'of Orange' is merely a title (since he was prince of the city Orange in France) so it can be translated just fine. He was born as Wilhelm von Nassau.

Besides, this is an English game... We're not calling Alexander the Great 'Μέγας Ἀλέξανδρος' either, now are we?

How is this for more balanced?

UA: Trade Empire: +20% gold in coastal cities.
UB: Windmolen (Replaces Windmill) bonus: +2 food, +10% Production building Naval Units (on top of the +15% from Windmill itself)
UU: East Indiaman (Replaces Caravel) bonus: +2 Movement, +3 Ranged Combat

I think this is a great idea. :)

It looks as if you just copied his stuff and changed the intro text and unique building. Also, having the "polder" as unique building severely underestimates the power of the Dutch economy during their golden age.

In case you didn't notice, the VOC Exchange in this mod actually gives a culture boost :p

It's the trait where both my mod and this mod represent the economic power of the Dutch Republic. And this trait is way OP. In fact my trait is probably also still OP. +2 gold per worked Luxury Resource tile gives a phat economic boost basically from turn one. I might have to balance it.

You should browse the Civilopedia, I have a decent explanation for my UA, UU and UB. I've added it to the other topic in case you don't want to install and start a game just to read it.

Also looks can be deceiving I guess. I completely wrote my mod myself, from the ground up. And in fact I used the Mod Guide and Opera's Venice: The Most Serene Republic as reference.

The ONLY thing I actually took from this mod was the art of the Dawn of Mandkind screen and the icon for William, because tbh they fit SO well with the style of the game I wouldn't be able to find anything better even if I searched for hours.

The Dutch Civ Icon I made also uses the KNVB logo with a blue background and a orange ring, and that is indeed inspired by the civ icon of this mod.

If you actually look into the mod you'll see almost everything is different. The UU replaces the caravel. And the trait is very complex. It involves a unique palace that provides a free 'improvement' in every city which then grants the gold bonus per Lux tile. This is the only way to do this without lua/dll.

I actually had to drop the +20% gold in coastal cities trait because when wonders grant a free building to all cities (i.e. a wonder with 'Counts as a BUILDINGNAME in every city') it ignores requirements like 'Must have river/coast/mountain/nohills/etc'. I made a wonder that counted as a Harbor in every city just to verify that, see here :)

Nice to see a mod for the Dutch! About ideas for balancing out the mod, what about this:

UA:

Lineage of merchants

The Dutch starts with the commerce social policy tree already unlocked from the beggining of the game. Will gain a free social policy once you hit a 500 gold mark, and another one if you manage to reach 1500. That way you get to represent the Dutch economic prowess as well as their modern social flexibility, while making the player lean towards a more economic - centered style of play.

UB

Windmolen. Replaces windmill. Must be built on non - hill terrain. Additional effect: +1 food +1 gold on every worked food resource tile, including the sea ones like fish.

East Indiamen. Replaces caravel. +1 strenght, flagless when it is on neutral territory (you can sink enemy ships without declaring war to them!).

Top Bottom