1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dutch extremist group unleashes biological weapons on Canada

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LesCanadiens, Sep 8, 2008.

1. LesCanadiens

LesCanadiens Deity

http://communities.canada.com/vanco...tives-at-root-of-canadian-mumps-outbreak.aspx

Is it unacceptable to put others at risk by refusing basic medical treatment to prevent deadly infectious diseases? Will God hate you if you decide to do your part to eradicate disease? Does God love disease? Discuss.

2. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Absolutely. Deserves jail time for the idiots in this case.

3. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol King

But, but.... autism!

But, but... if everyone else is vaccinated, what difference does it make?

Have I covered all the ignorant reasons, or did I miss some? Vaccinate your kids, people. It's important.

4. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

It's idiotic. But I'm not sure anyone should be forcibly vaccinated.

That's too bad, really. It's probably good when anti-science folks die off.

Oh, and your thread title sucks.

5. Esckey

Esckey Deity

Is the mumps deadly? I can see wanting to cure polio, but I don't know anyone that has ever had the mumps

6. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Very silly, but you can't force vaccinate

7. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

It's stupid, but you shouldn't be forced to be vaccinated if you don't want to be. No, God won't hate you for that. (If He loves us despite our many sins, I think He'll manage to overlook our stupidity. I certainly hope so, because humanity has that in spades.

And does God love disease? Interesting question - I guess you'd have to decide whether the disease in question is an animal, and if so, whether God loves animals because they're alive, or only in relation to how they serve humanity. So, I think that'd be a thread all by itself. ;) Regardless of whether God loves bacteria, I think it's clear that He loves humans more, and that we're allowed to fight or destroy "lower" life forms for good cause. (And I think stopping the death or maiming of other human beings certainly qualifies as a good clause, so regardless, we're in the clear here ;) )

8. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

It was much nicer when they sent us tulips. :(

9. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Yes, it is unacceptable. Unless a person is allergic in some way to the vaccine, immunization should be mandatory.

I've had the mumps. It was the second-most painful thing I've ever gone through.

Mumps can be deadly to the very young, and it hits adults quite hard. I was in Grade 12, and it was two weeks before final exams. I missed my exams and ended having to repeat my two science courses.

I was 16 at the time and already had medical problems and a compromised immune system. I have no idea where I was exposed to mumps, as there weren't any outbreaks reported that year. But I was out of school for three weeks and quite weak for several weeks after. I had a high fever, and eating was impossible because it just hurt too much. So I lived on grape juice for two weeks. That's all I could manage that wasn't too painful (although it still hurt) and that I could keep down.

That bout of mumps had permanent, long-term consequences to my life. And no, I hadn't been immunized -- and I truly think that if I had been, I would probably have been safe.

No, thanks. Tulips are pretty to look at, but I'm allergic. :(

This reminds me: I need to check with the Health Unit to find out when and where the flu immunizations are being held this year...

10. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Screw Religion, you have to take your medicine. :p

11. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

The mumps? Isn't that a Brady Bunch disease?

12. West 36

West 36 Can count up to 4

This isn't what I expected having read the title, but whatever!
    What is the reasoning of the group here? Why exactly would God not like being treated?

13. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

It's a disease that if you're going to get it, it's best to happen before puberty. Afterward, it can cause all kinds of complications.

14. jameson

jameson Emperor

The basic reason, IIRC ( I went to school with some people with similar beliefs), is that everything that happens to you is God's will, and seeking treatment or vaccinations would therefore be to act against God's will. In the same vein, I was told by a classmate that they wouldn't seek treatment if they broke a leg, because if God wanted you to lose your leg, then you just had to accept that, and having surgery or getting a prosthetic leg would also be to defy Him.

I thought these people were insane.

15. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

In the real world, it's a disease where you go through a period of quite intense discomfort and pain due to swellings and fever. If you're lucky. If you're unlucky it can cause viral meningitis or encephalitis and quite possibly kill you (although this is a fairly rare outcome), and can also make you infertile for life if you get it after puberty.

It is rare now due to vaccines. But I'm only in my mid-thirties and when I was a kid it was one of those diseases that parents deliberately exposed their kids to when it was going around, since the risk of dying from it when you were around eight or ten was lower than the risk of dying from it (or becoming infertile) if you got it later.

16. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

"What the hell is wrong with you? I sent two boats and a helicopter..."

17. Simple Simon

Simple Simon Simpleton

Mumps is not as bad as some other illnesses, but it is bad enough. Although complications such as meningitis are rare, and rarely deadly, they are much more common, and much worse, than the rate of complications derived from vaccination. Ergo, it should be considered bodily injury if parents refuse to have their kids vaccinated and the kids contract the disease.

18. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Just confine them. Problem solved.

19. Simple Simon

Simple Simon Simpleton

Not really - or did you mean confining ALL non-vaccinated people at ALL times?

20. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

Assuming, for the moment, that there is a God, do you actually think that God favors human beings over all other life forms, including bacteria and viruses?