1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Dutch

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by King William I, Mar 7, 2012.

1. King William I

King William I Chieftain

You know how in Civ V thaere are civs like, "The Aztecs" and "The Ottomans"

Well i have a feeling that we can expect The Maya as a civ name, but what about the Dutch.

It's kinda nitpicky (I'm not the best speller), but It's always bothered me how the Dutch were called "Netherlands" by itself. Maybe "Holland" or "The Netherlands" just not Netherlands alone. It just doesn't make any sense.

2. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

The country where I live in is called "or Koninkrijk der Nederlanden, kortweg Nederland the kingdom of the netherlands or the netherlands

at the old days it was called : De lage landen or nederlanden
    The low lands are today : luxemburg, Belgium, netherlands (that day it was one counrty)

Because we are at a low land with a low sea level

there flows a lot of rivers through our country . Water flows of a high point to a low point.

the word neder in dutch means : Means ' down ' and ' low.

However there are a lot of other nicknames

a lot of people call the netherlands holland because:
    The Holland is the name of the old western province with cities such as Dordrecht, Rotterdam and Amsterdam. because of the economic and political dominance in the 17de and the 18de centuries the name "holland" was used for the country , similar when they call england (offically called United Kingdom) sometimes great brittain

the netherlands today only exist since 1830 , after Belgiƫ got his independent . thats why our country has different names used to adress the area
    one of these nicknames are : hollands , the low lands , the republic der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden, de Bataafse Republiek en het Koninkrijk Holland
    I did''nt know how to translate all the nicknames so a lot of them are in dutch.

Conclusion i thinx firaxis will call it : netherlands

Throughouht histroy it has been called a lot of different names so you can't blame firaxis for choosing one of them

3. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

"The Aztecs" is kind of a misnomer. However, Mexico would sound strange to modern audiences. Things like referring in all cases to a civ as "The X" should be avoided. Instead, you have "France" and "The French" or "England" and "The English" or "Netherlands" and "The Dutch." It makes sense to me.

4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

...um...who said that the dutch civ will in Civ5 be called "Dutch"?

...aahh...nobody did ;).

5. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Chieftain

I think "Netherlands" is the best option. The "The" in the beginning looks ugly and should be avoided whenever possible.

6. King William I

King William I Chieftain

7. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Chieftain

I personally don't like holland its allways mistaken by people not from europe

today holland is a province a part of the country(the netherlands) So I don't hope it will be that

8. Androrc the Orc

By "people not from Europe"? People from Europe call the country "Holland" left and right as well :p

But yeah, I agree it is a suboptimal choice compared to having "Netherlands".

9. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I think it should be called the United Provinces ;)

10. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

THIS is one thing I miss from civ IV: ______________ Empire

Aztec Empire
    American Empire
    Dutch Empire
    Sioux Empire
    Khmer Empire

etc.

Just sounded better, in my opinion.

11. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

But if the civ has only one city, empire is a bit strange.

12. anandus

anandus Errorist

That would be a nice one as well, but I think The Netherlands would be the best name to give. Including the 'the'.

13. Androrc the Orc

That is the title of the country, not it's proper name (every country's name is composed of a title and a proper name, like "United States" and "America", respectively), which makes "Netherlands" be more suitable than "United Provinces", and this is specially so considering there has been a long time now that the Netherlands haven't been "United Provinces", but a kingdom.

14. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

I'd say ''the Netherlands'' and ''the Dutch'' would make the most sense. Just ''Netherlands'' is strange, I don't think it is ever used that way. And ''Holland'' is fairly inaccurate.

OT: I just noticed my house is on a picture on wikipedia under ''dutch golden age''. Awesome.

15. anandus

anandus Errorist

OT: A fellow Leidenaar? ;)

16. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

The Dutch is what it's been advertised as so far, and that would make most sense, from a language perspective (i.e. 'the Dutch have declared war' probably works with the pattern better than 'the Netherlands have declared war').

17. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

Ha, yes! That's a nice coincidence :p

18. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

What was the country refered to as at the time of William of Orange's reign? That should probably be the name of the civ.

19. anandus

anandus Errorist

Spain :lol:

No, really :) Although around the time of his death (1584) they were calling themselves the 'Republic of the Seven United Netherlands', see the union of Utrecht (1580/1581)

Edit:
    From 1482 to 1581 the area was also known as the Seventeen Provinces

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

True :lol: