• I'm from somewhere else, and I prefer CDs

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I don't care

Votes: 21 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
spa said:
To illustrate the situation another way. Say there are 5,000,000 potential customers in North America that want to buy Civ. At a 4:1 ratio this means that 1,250,000 of them only have a CD player. So 1,250,000 at $50 a pop is $62,500,000 in sales (not profit as you have to deduct all the costs of making and doing business). Still, if you're the CEO of a North American company are you going to say "Nah I don't need that marketshare. I think we've made enough money." Somehow I think not. Now I admit my example numbers are probably on the high side (I don't know how many units a star game like Civilization usually sells) and they're no doubt simplistic, but the principal remains the same no matter what numbers you plug in because it's a ratio.

Have you EVER heard a CEO say 'I think we've made enough money'?:p

Since my experience with Neverwinter nights were 1 CD out of 4 got lost and I had to rebuy, I prefer DVDs where you only have 1 disc and this will be close to your PC because you need it to start a game.

I also have Dawn of War with its expansion with 7 CDs together! More numbers=higher probability that one will get lost/ comes damaged,...

Who doesn´t have a DVD drive on his PC to rip and copy films anyhow?

I really dont care. It's all the same for me. as long as I get my game on time

Actually, what would be nice is an option to download it like stardock did with galciv. No waiting for regional releases or boxes to be shipped to the store that way ... we could be playing right now.

CD-drive owners, A question ->

Does your computer really meet the standards to play the game ?

I have an DVD drive (was standard when i bought my computer), And I've upgraded the graphicscard and the processor since then, and I'm just at recommended level, (~ 2Ghz Athlon, 512Mb, 128 mB geforce FX5200).

My laptop that ALSO has an DVD drive and hasn't been upgraded will not be able to run Civ4.
(only a 8Mb graphics card)

BearMan said:
CD-drive owners, A question ->

Does your computer really meet the standards to play the game ?

I have an DVD drive (was standard when i bought my computer), And I've upgraded the graphicscard and the processor since then, and I'm just at recommended level, (~ 2Ghz Athlon, 512Mb, 128 mB geforce FX5200).

My laptop that ALSO has an DVD drive and hasn't been upgraded will not be able to run Civ4.
(only a 8Mb graphics card)

I have a 2.00 GHz Athlon processor, a GeForce 5200 FX video card, 512 ram and..... a CD drive. :)

So I have more than the minimum, I have the recommended specs. Just no DVD drive.

EDIT: See I put in the missing decimal. Happy?

I'm from America and I think DVD's are more convenient, however I don't have a DVD drive so i'm glad as hell they'll have the game on CD's.

I would have preffered the CD ver as my DVD-RW has just stopped reading ANYTHING! :cry:

But as they are only around £15 for DVD-ROM (£20 for a RW) and I'm only paying £17.99 for Civ4 (thank you play.com) I'd say I'm still getting more than my money's worth! :goodjob:

Top Bottom