DW01: Whistling In The Dark

They are. However, keep in mind that we'll be pumping out settlers from the capital until it's abandoned, so will probably be either founding some cities that we normally wouldn't or adding them (somewhat inefficiently, I grant) into other cities, which should help those grow to size 7+ quickly. Either way, those will help with unit support more than in a normal game.

True.

Why don't you start the new thread with start A with the Hut popped and worker moved - so just play turn BC4000 Then we can have a brief discussion if we get anything interesting - otherwise you can play the first 20 with the plans so far.

i.e. A picture in the first post of a new thread with the hut popped and worker moved seems best to me at this point.

Then take your move after that as a separate post - you would only need to wait to play if we got something interesting in the worker move or hut pop.

Also you can decide the roster order and put that in the first post which is always nice.

I'll be happy to do that. Expect it in about 5-6 hours.

Suggestions as to what we do not desire to pop from the hut tech-wise, so I can briefly set that before we settle?

Me too--but there may be something we'd want even less. I can't think of what that would be offhand, but...

CB is the easiest way to delay unit creation. A 60 shield Temple allows for 160 shields of thumb twiddling (barracks, granary, temple).

I would say Warrior Code simply because a town stuck on Archers will be there until invention, archers aren't that great except for early war, and even the upgrade for archers isn't that great either. I think we prefer warriors with a town or two on defensive units.

Defensive units (spears, upgrade to pikes at Feudalism) are almost as bad.

Keep in mind that WC gives us the Javelin Throwers, our UU, replacing archers. They serve decently as both offense and defense. They'll also kick off our Golder Age, though hopefully not too early! (This is one thing I think we did right last game, building quite a few of those.)

Lurker's comment: You've nailed down the two least desirable techs. Warrior Code is still better trade material; I wonder whether a hardcore Always War player is overlooking the trade element here.
The build options both techs are giving you will not want to use very early on; there seemed to be agreement in the team to go for regular warriors first, for scouting, before creating a barracks and quality units. So then you won't need Warrior Code straight away, but it also doesn't get in the way of anything; you can still build warriors.
And you won't need Ceremonial Burial straight away either. I can see you use temples as a means to delay a more permanent build for a town, but not in the earliest stages of the game. You'll be way further in the tech tree before you'll consider temples. Your own tech pace will be much quicker than in Always War, a tech like Ceremonial Burial is very easy to snap up en route somewhere.

I am undecided whether we should build barracks first in the second town. The units built without barracks are useless except for initial contact - not even worth upgrading - they are only worthwhile if we think it will increase our chance at the republic gambit.

Getting a warrior from the Hut and I would vote for barracks first for sure.

Getting a warrior from the Hut and I would vote for barracks first for sure.
Lurker's comment: I think that's a very good point! A warrior is perhaps the best thing you can pop from the hut.
Perhaps your early contacts won't help the slingshot much - you're likely to have to research all the needed techs yourself - but it could easily help you bag Iron Working sooner, which could make a big difference; having Iron around would make things a lot easier for you.

FYI to all, I deliberately haven't played the opening bit yet--perhaps I'm a bit gunshy after last time. ;) But, if anyone else doesn't have input, I'm going to set to CB and see what happens as of tomorrow morning-ish.

If you want to be really safe, move the worker only and post a picture today. Then if anyone feels the home spot isn't the best will get a chance to comment.

The start seems fine so settling in place will be decent no matter what, so I am personally fine with you making a decision on whether to settle in place or not after you see the worker move.

Don't be too shy, DW, go ahead and get this rolling.

If you want to be really safe, move the worker only and post a picture today. Then if anyone feels the home spot isn't the best will get a chance to comment.

The start seems fine so settling in place will be decent no matter what, so I am personally fine with you making a decision on whether to settle in place or not after you see the worker move.

Nothing terribly exciting on the worker move.

Spoiler :

No reason not to settle in place, so I do, with CB set as our "don't get it" tech. Did it matter? Let's find out:

Spoiler :

So, at least we got that going for us.

The resulting view from Capital City is an interesting and somewhat unexpected one:

Spoiler :

I have set build to granary, as that seems fairly obvious, but have not set tech choice, research rate, etc. Discuss.

Attachments

• Take 2 post worker move.jpg
    Take 2 post worker move.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 606
  • 4000 BC starting position.jpg
    4000 BC starting position.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 174
  • Tech at start.jpg
    Tech at start.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 160
Top Bottom