Dwarf Fortress

Blazer6

King
This is a rogue-like game that is currently in Alpha and is free to download.
The object of the game is to build a dwarven fortress city and destroy certain creatures who attack when you expand far enough. The game hogs system resources like civilization so expect the endgame to take longer over time.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

The graphics are little more than numbers, letters, and color.
Read the wiki as this game is all about planning around characters (pun unintended) that are mostly out of your control.
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page

Wow! Thank you for posting this link. The game is GREAT! It took me some time to understand the basics, and my first fortress didn't survive the first winter, but with the help of the wiki and the forum my second fortress is comming along.

I suggest everybody who is interested in a mix of Dungeon Keeper, Ceasar/Pharao/Zeus and some ASCII adventure game to try this game. Don't fear the controls! Don't fear the graphics! This game rocks!

This is a part of my second Fortress with the wonderfull dwarfish name of 'Sikelsigung', which means 'Hoodtours' in the human language. Currently 9 little dwarfs reside in my halls and I think that we still have enough food, to survive our first winter.

Yeah, you might think: "What the hell is this?" As did I. But you will learn what the diferent symbols mean, very soon.

I thank you. This game is a real threat to my available freetime. Hard to believe it's still an alpha.

[EDIT]

View attachment 141324

Here's my most recent fort. I've got mind boggling 12 inhabitants on my second spring. Worst setback this far was that a cougar ate my other hunting dog and it's hard to get one dog to breed.

Is there some kind of comprehensive guide for this game? It seems interesting but I have no idea what I'm really doing. A lot of my dwarf colonists are idle and the workshops I requested are only half way built.

The ingame help will get you pretty far. DF wiki, linked in the OP is worth a visit. I found a good guide to farming from there.

Dwarfs usually do nothing if there's no work available for their job description. For building I think it was the architecture they must have active. Starving or dehydration may also affect their willingness to work but I can't say for sure because I haven't had that.

Riesstiu IV said:
Is there some kind of comprehensive guide for this game? It seems interesting but I have no idea what I'm really doing. A lot of my dwarf colonists are idle and the workshops I requested are only half way built.
Dwarfs need lots of alcohol to operate at normal speed, water from wells are less effective and they will slow down, while water from the stream is just bad.
The forum of the game.

Hitti-Litti said:
Looks interesting, has potential. But the only true ASCII graphic game is Nethack!

Yes the true ASCII rpg game is Nethack and maybe ADOM, but Dwarf Fortress is true ASCII rts. ;)

Yet another fortress fell. I opened the floodgates to irrigate my farms and ofcourse forgot there was something of value inside. A rock. Stupid carpenter went to get that rock and opened the door (I forgot to lock it) of the still flooding chamber, and behold: He drowned with 20 others. 25 wardogs drowned. 15 horses drowned. Only two dwarves survived because they were sleeping in their rooms when this happened and they too were surrounded by water flooding in the corridors. :cringe:

New version available.
v0.22.110.22f

I started a new fortress some time ago and it is doing pretty well. I dug straight towards the underground river, build a bridge, planned for a 5-square-wide main hallway and only started digging rooms after the river. Currently I'm in my third year. I have reached the magma river and set up a magma forge industry. I got visited by elven and human caravans. There are currently 99 dworfs living in my fortress, including 7 nobles. I kept a nice txt log, which i might one day write into something usefull, but for now i will just post some excerpts:

The fortress Keskalnegid, which means "Shootslid" in the human tongue, was founded on the 1st Granite of the year 1058. From the 7 dwarfes which left Abalzular Vudthar, to establish an outpost for the King, 3 have not survived.

Ilral Ezemthikut, our carpenter, and Udib Mosus Besmar, our Craftsdwarf, were the first to die. They were ambushed on the 2nd Timber of 1058.

A pack of snakemen had crept out of our well. Ilral Ezemthikut was hauling a bed through the main hallway, when beasts attacked him from behind. Although he fought like a lion, wounding several of the attackers, the leader of the beast, a vile creature called Utharatham, somehow managed to hit his left leg, seperating it from the rest of the body. But Illral continued to fight, until his other leg was hacked of, too. Then the cruel devils left him behind, lieing on the floor, to slowly blead to death.

Udib Mosus Besmar, the Craftsdwarf, was working on a fine stone amulett when the attackers found him. Unable to get out of his workplace, and without any weapons to defend himself, things were looking grim. However he struck down one of the attackers with his bare fists, before he was overrun.
If it wasn't for the heroism of Dumed Melbilidok, the Wood Cutter, we might have lost this fortress to the forces of evil. When we realized that we were under attack, Dumed at once picked up his trusty axe and rushed into the fortress. The first snakemen he saw was severed into two equal pieces. The second snakemen was simply crushed by the strenght of the attack. Then Dumed grapped the third creature and threw it against the wall, breaking a thousend bones. Now the invaders realized that their time had come. The third creature tried to flee, but Dumed hacked it into little pieces, before it could escape back into the depths.
The last snakemen hiding from us for about a hour, but in the end we caught him and gave him what he deserved.

Sodel Nazommörül, a legendary Miner, was roasted by fire imp on 3rd Opal, of 1059. The creature killed another three dwarfes, until our wardogs pushed him down. Afterall, the magma river has so far spawned three fire imps, each killing atleast 2-3 dwarves, before he was killed by the dogs. Now I have build a nice line of traps to take care of such attackers.

20th Hematite, 1060

Kamuknabreth, a large Black Beard, caused much havoc this day. Firstly he struck down our trapper, then he crossed the bridge, causing a great uproar among the people. Two trusty war dogs tried to hold him down, but the black bear bit their heads of. Only a third dog was able to take down that beast, but he was badly mauled in doing so.

___

Edem Olinkogan has withdrawn from society, seizing a craftsmenworkship for himself. He draws pictures of forrests, shells and metal bars..

4th Hematite, 1061

Edem Olinkogan has finished his artifact : An Oaken braclet! He is a Legendary woodcrafter now.

The Oaken bracelet is of highest quality, encircled with bands of silver, decorated with spikes of maple, red spinel and a turtel shell.

tossi, could you post some pictures of your fortress. I'm intrested in seeing the layout of your fortress. I've started many fortresses just to experiment with different layouts.

How wide your main corridor. With some fortresses I've tried 4 just because the free animals cause congestion otherwise. Having 30 wardogs running free isn't a good idea traffic wise, but when it comes to defense they react more quickly.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/makosa/enterthefortress.jpg
Enter the fortress! The walls are engraved, telling the story from the beginning to the present.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/makosa/workshops.jpg

Main hallway, workshops and some storage. At first i build a very small worshop room, but as the fortress grew and grew I tore down some walls. To the right is my new kitchen/brewery. One workshop of that kind is simply not enough to feed 99 dwarfes, so I expanded a bit. And to the far left, you can see my war dog kennel, which is non-stop training new war dogs to defend my fortress from all kinds of evil. The animal caretaker turned legendary some time ago!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/makosa/quarters.jpg

Here are most of my quarters. To the left, you can see the meeting hall and the dining room. To the right lay the noble quarters. Not up to date, though. I expanded the noble quarters meanwhile.

Thinking back, I could have build the meeting hall and the dining room slightly bigger, as it is becomming clustered with dwarfs and dogs. Additionally, I'm thinking about building bigger rooms in general. Some nobles are not 100% content as their rooms are too ugly. If I had build them slightly bigger, I could add statues, to increase the room value. Now I will have to engrave some walls, which will look odd and confusing.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/makosa/farms.jpg

Here are my farms. Everything fine about them. On the lower left is the old kitchen, which is way to small.

Have you tried using green glass furniture and statues in the nobles rooms. I've seen it do miracles even in small rooms.

Have you tried using green glass furniture and statues in the nobles rooms. I've seen it do miracles even in small rooms.

My glass production hasn't realy started yet. I only produced glass for some mandates, so far. However I'm currently producing a bunch of brass and bronze furniture.

Nobles would be pleased having one giant room to live in, they just want to have enough stuff in that room to meet their own wants.

What do you mean? Nobles have certain requirements. They might want a decent bedroom and a fine diningroom. If you make both rooms inside the same room, the overall value will go down heavily. You would need some nice furniture to make it decent again.

The way I hear on the Something Awful forums, nobles will accept one huge room that is large enough to house everyone. If you place enough amenities for each type of noble, they won't complain.

My new fortress was preparing for the first winter and things looked good. The problems began when the supply caravan arrived. The caravan guards lured a herd of 7 elephants to my fortress. The elephants made it inside and went straight after my fisherdwarf who unfortunately was on his way to the dead end food storage. Stupid elephants overran him and killed a few dogs before I managed to imprison them into my unfinished living quarters.

I would survive the winter even with the elephants occupying my living quarters. The dwarves could sleep in the barracks.

But I was wrong. When the caravan left the remaining guard lured another three elephants who killed my road builders and took residence in the main hallway. They are blocking my dwarves from the food storage and killing my dogs cats and horses. I think my only choice is to abandon the fortress...

I absolutely hate rampaging elephants.

Top Bottom