1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DX 12 soon

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hajee, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Hajee

Hajee Prince

Looks like DX 12 is coming soon.

will this help performance any?

2. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Possibly it will, but I am cool with DX11 with these cartoony type graphics.

3. rastak

rastak Emperor

Not sure I'm tracking. To be clear.

Better performance would be good with realistic graphics but you're content with lesser performance because you consider the graphics "cartoony"?

Did I capture that correctly?

4. Underseer

Underseer King

Uh, wouldn't they have to recompile the game top take advantage of any new features in DX12? Or does it have more efficient versions of functions already used?

5. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

My performance is great and I don't even have a DX12 capable card. Also, usually when a new version comes out it doesn't help performance, but instead enables new visual candy. But to be fair I haven't been tracking DX12.

6. mnf

mnf King

Might help people with mid to lower range graphics cards to turn on some special effects, perhaps? Like better water surface? Not that we really need special effects that badly, but during the course of game when you pan the map and suddenly that reflection catches your eye, it's quite cool.

7. Lugh

Lugh Prince

The main things in DX12--which is only for Win10--are lower power draw and better frame rates. It's mostly about efficiency, and improving the usage of multiple graphics resources--eg graphics card and integrated graphics, or an AMD + a nVidia card.

So it may not help Civ6 much directly, but should help your PC while playing it.

8. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Yeah DX12 won't add any new effects ( caveat: Unless they add new DX12 exclusive effects, but that's not innate to switching to DX12 )

However, my vague understanding of it is that it should use less CPU to accomplish the same tasks. I recall it did make my Doom run a bit smoother and faster ( though I already kill it pretty solidly with this setupd, DX11 or DX12 )

9. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Pay it no mind. Certain crass people ( the same sorts of folks who think Path of Mannequins looks better than Diablo 3 ) feel threatened by stylized graphics. No idea why, it's sick and sad and I don't understand it at all.

And before anyone attacks me, I'm not attacking Path of Exile's gameplay.

Mglo, Babri, Dearmad and 1 other person like this.
  10. Hajee

Hajee Prince

I asked in op because I read in some places DX 12 is better for AI intense games as it takes the load of of the cpu better than Dx 11

btw I forgot the link in the OP

https://steamdb.info/app/289070/history/

There is DX12.exe for civ 6 coming

11. mnf

mnf King

I just hope that we don't have to select DX11/DX12/Tablet etc. every time we start the game from the Steam tray icon like Civ V. Although Civ VI might just earn a place on my mostly work-related start menu...

12. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

They probably recompile the game every day. I'm not sure why you'd worried about that.

True enough. But, keep in mind that only newer graphics cards support DX12 anyway. Anyone with an older system probably won't be using DX12 mode.

With Civ V, you could make a desktop icon that automatically launched DX11 mode. You can probably do the same with Civ VI, should the need arise.

13. Amightymuffin

Amightymuffin Chieftain

DX12 could very well introduce some new and different effects for the graphical side of things but i would expect it to improve on performance at the later stage of the game when things can slow down depending on whats going on( gotta remember lots of units an lots of small animations are running then). Typically DX12 has a much more noticeable impact for AMD card users such as myself(rx285) than it does for nvidia typically because nvidia have a better base optimization.

14. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

erm, not 'base optimization', but rather better dx11 drivers. AMD drivers are well ahead of NVidia on the dx 12 side; at least for now.

not quite. when dx12 came out, the list of already exiting cards that were compatible was very long. Unless you mean 'newer' as in 5 years ago 'new'. Effectively, if the card was at least a dx11.2 compatible card (possibly 11.1) then it would be ok with dx 12.

15. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

To be more accurate, you can use "DX12" mode with older cards, but they don't actually support most of the new features of DX12. So, they don't really support DX12.

16. Amightymuffin

Amightymuffin Chieftain

yea quite right i forgot the real term for a second and that was the best i could come up with XD but yea point is difference is more significant for amd users than nividia

17. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

DX12 adds a number of new features. Here are a few things they might add:

1) Better multi-GPU support - DX12 has some really awesome options, like allowing you to use nVidia + AMD cards together, and allowing the developer to customize the multi-GPU solution, rather than being limited to just SLI/Crossfire.

(So, for example, you could do tile-based split-frame rendering... send half (or a percentage) of the pixels to each GPU... you could also pick independent render tasks and send them to different GPUs)

2) Async Compute - This won't help nVidia cards that much, but should boost GPU performance a lot for recent AMD cards

3) Better multithreading support - This can improve CPU perf.

4) Lower CPU rendering overhead - Same.

Performance isn't the whole story, , but suffice it to say DX12 *could* make the game run faster. However, recently a lot of developers have stumbled with their initial DX12 efforts, resulting in *worse* performance. This is due in part to DX12 being more difficult to use correctly. With less hand-holding, it's up to the developer to get every little detail right or performance suffers.

However, Firaxis knocked it out of the park with Mantle, so there's reason to believe the same will happen with DX12. I'm hopeful we'll see immediate framerate improvements.

18. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

For those running Windows 8 or lower, it will have no effect.
    For those that have Windows 10:
    If you have an AMD card, yes.
    If you instead have a nVidia card; some of the high end ones of these are so highly tuned to DX11 quirks that performance may actually slightly degrade.

19. bladex

bladex Emperor

good maybe it will stop my cpu reaching 60 DEG C