Dynamic distance between cities tested with RFCE

JediClemente

Prince
This idea was originally mentioned in some discussion about RFC:Antiquity, and has the modmod in mind, that's why I post it here.

Typically, you can define the minimal distance between cities in GlobalDefines.xml. Both RFC and RFCE set that value to "1".

Now for RFC:Antiquity, all regions shouldn't have the same concentration of cities (Greece and the Levant should have a lot in a few plots; the far extenses of the Roman and Persian empires should have very few).

So I want 3 different "minimal distances" of 1, 2 and 3 for different regions of the map.

I look at Python and it doesn't seem like it can be done there. In the SDK? Yes. There are two instances in the C++ code where the variable from GlobalDefines.xml is read. I probed this for RFCE:

3 minimal distance for Northwestern Africa, 2 for Russia and 1 for the rest of the map.

You just have to look for this line
Code:
iRange = GC.getMIN_CITY_RANGE();

And change it in CvPlayer.cpp
Code:
// JediClemente start **
// dynamic CITY_RANGE (that is, allowed distance between cities dependant on position)
// will take the mininum from GlobalDefines.xml
// point is to have some places in the map crowded with cities and others not so much

if(pPlot->getX_INLINE() < 46 && pPlot->getY_INLINE() < 22){ // Northwestern Africa will have as few cities as possible
	iRange = GC.getMIN_CITY_RANGE() + 2;
	}
else if(pPlot->getX_INLINE() > 77 && pPlot->getY_INLINE() > 48){ // Russia will have less than normal
	iRange = GC.getMIN_CITY_RANGE() + 1;
	}
else{ // the usual for the rest of the map
	}

// JediClemente end **
// original line here:
//iRange = GC.getMIN_CITY_RANGE();

and in CvDLLWidgetData.cpp:
Code:
// JediClemente start **
// dynamic CITY_RANGE (that is, allowed distance between cities dependant on position)
// will take the mininum from GlobalDefines.xml
// point is to have some places in the map crowded with cities and others not so much

if(pMissionPlot->getX_INLINE() < 46 && pMissionPlot->getY_INLINE() < 22){ // Northwestern Africa will have as few cities as possible
	iRange = GC.getMIN_CITY_RANGE() + 2;
	}
else if(pMissionPlot->getX_INLINE() > 77 && pMissionPlot->getY_INLINE() > 48){ // Russia will have less than normal
	iRange = GC.getMIN_CITY_RANGE() + 1;
	}
else{ // the usual for the rest of the map
	}

// JediClemente end **
	// original line here:
	//iRange = GC.getMIN_CITY_RANGE();

It's quite simple. I've tested it, and it works! :D

Don't know if the idea can be applied to RFCE or regular RFC, but I'll certainly try to use it for RFC:A if everyone's OK with that.

OK with me but I'd prefer to see a minimum distance between all cities of two tiles at least.

Interesting idea. You may or may not know that there is also a way to specify (in Python: RFCEBalance.py) how many overlapping big-fat-cross squares the AI will allow between any cities. The big difference would be that your code would apply to the human player as well. I worry that might be a bit confusing though...

As an aside, I will be setting the minimum city distance to 2 in RFC Europe. That's quite appropriate for most of the map.

That means that cities should now have a 3x3 tiles overlap (ie instead of the 2x2 before)?

Interesting idea. You may or may not know that there is also a way to specify (in Python: RFCEBalance.py) how many overlapping big-fat-cross squares the AI will allow between any cities. The big difference would be that your code would apply to the human player as well. I worry that might be a bit confusing though...

As an aside, I will be setting the minimum city distance to 2 in RFC Europe. That's quite appropriate for most of the map.

Didn't know that about RFCEBalance.py. It surely is a better option, even if the human player isn't affected.

And I agree a distance of 2 is appropiate for RFCE.

Top Bottom