Dynamic Natural Disasters

fy00sh

Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder
One thing that really bugs me ever since Gathering Storm is that volcanoes don't affect floodplains, and I can get why from a coding standpoint - you dont really want volcanic soil to be able to replace floodplains after all! But that got me thinking, what happens irl when a volcanic eruption meets a flooding river? Looked it up, and apparently it's called a lahar - basically a wave of volcanic ash-mud that acts like concrete - liquid when moving, solid when still. And now, whenever I see a volcano cause no damage and give no yields to an adjacent floodplains tile, even on a megacolossal eruption, I think how cool it'd be if that had instead set off a lahar that affected the rest of the floodplains tiles downstream.

And now I'm wondering how other interactions might play out? Maybe hurricanes and tornadoes, and maybe blizzards and sandstorms could make forest fires more likely, because all of the newly knocked-down trees and branches drying out and acting as fuel? Maybe a tornado moving over an active forest fire could become a fire whirl? Maybe global warming flooding could travel up floodplains adjacent to coast, reaching multiple tiles inland?

What do ya'll think, should disasters be more dynamic? Any other interactions you'd like to see?

Top Bottom