Dynamic starts release 1.1

jmerry

Warlord
Ever wanted to play an America that knows what the colonizing civs do, instead of starting several techs ahead (or behind) of all of them? Ever wanted to see Europe crippled after the Mediterranean civs fell early?

This modmod adds the option of dynamic starts to Rhye's and Fall. If you play with the option active, most civilizations will start with map and tech knowledge based on what their neighbors know, rather than any fixed list. Games without the option are unchanged (from RFC version 1.186).

To install, unzip and follow the instructions in the readme.

Feedback is welcomed. I think I've got all the major bugs (Vikings and Arabs now have techs in the 600 AD start...), but I can't fully test balance, as the Mac version is stuck at 1.185.
OK, one more major bug fixed. I had it right before, then find/replace broke a name...

Attachments

• Dynamic starts 1.1.zip
    118.7 KB · Views: 152
Do you know if this would work with the Epic/Marathon speeds mod? It seems to me like the two go together quite naturally.

Yes, it should. I'd play that myself if modified DLLs worked on the Mac. It's compatible with pretty much anything that doesn't change starting techs, with the caveat that you have to merge some new material into RiseAndFall if that file is modified.
As a side note, older versions of RFC do have different starting tech lists, along with other changes in RiseAndFall. Installing this with such a version (like 1.185 for Mac, which I'm stuck with) will change things, upgrading partially to 1.186.

I think this modmod deserves to be updated to the current patch... :p

I thought the Americans started several techs ahead so that they don't fall behind while trying to get their economy on par with Europes.

Yeah. I might actually update it myself someday. Because I plan on using it. :D

You need to edit the RiseAndFall.py file. Its really a programming job.

No, its not worth the effort. Its would be 10 times easier for me to just do it myself. But I don't currently have time to for the inevitable testing and debugging involved. And its also 10 easier to do that myself than to tell someone else how to do it. Sorry. :D

But with any luck someone else can fix this once and for all. Otherwise you could remind me this weekend, next week or something.

Top Bottom