(E&E) Civilization VI - First Look: Haiti

TyrannusRex

Warlord
Jacques I leads Haiti in Sid Meier's Civilization VI!

Jean-Jacques Dessalines was born into slavery in the French colony of Saint-Domingue, but would eventually prove crucial in the struggle for an independent Haiti, defending the island against both Spanish and later French forces before being crowned Haiti's first emperor as Jacques I. To this day, he is often regarded as the father of the country.

Jacques I round.png

Unfortunately, Hero Forge doesn't really have any parts to let me make a very accurate rendition of Jacques I (or any sort of Napoleonic-era officer, really), so please enjoy this best-I-could-manage headshot featuring a hat and facial hair that aren't nearly glorious enough.

Jacques' unique ability is called Freedom from Bondage. This allows Haiti to declare Protectorate Wars from the beginning of the game and grants a 30% Production boost towards military units, Encampment Districts, and their buildings, as well as +2 movement for military units, during the first 5 turns of said wars.
Jacques' agenda is called Freed Man's Republic. He dislikes civilizations that war against or conquer civilizations or city-states that aren't on their home continent. He'd much prefer that you keep your conflicts local.

Haiti default.png

Haiti's unique civ ability is Pearl of the Antilles. Any Natural wonders within Haitian cities provide +2 Appeal to all tiles within the city. Improvements over luxury resources provide +1 additional Amenity and provide bonus Tourism in later eras. Reefs provide +1 Appeal to adjacent land tiles and +2 Culture, boosted to +4 with Conservation.
Maroon.PNG
Maroon icon.png

Mockup of in-game Maroon model and icon.
Haiti's unique unit is the Maroon. This unique Melee unit unlocks in the Renaissance Era, is cheap to train, has high Movement speed, and gains +3 Combat Strength when fighting on Hills, Woods, or Rainforest.

ezgif-1-54cc611c50.png

Haiti gains a unique District in the Mache nan Lari. This replacement for the Commercial Hub automatically provides +1 Amenity to its city, as well as Tourism in later eras. It also provides a 2% discount on all purchases with Gold for each Mache nan Lari you've built, and this discount increases as you progress through the Technology tree.

With Haiti, you can build an empire that prospers from trade and tourism. Build a Mache nan Lari in each city to both increase your income and increase your discount towards Gold purchases. The bonus Tourism they provide will couple nicely with Haiti's improvements over luxury resources and their Appeal boost from Natural Wonders. If foreign civs try to encroach on your city-states or allies, Jacques I's unique ability, coupled with the guerilla tactics of the Maroon, will allow you to fight for freedom no matter the odds.
Will you stand for liberty and prosperity? How will you lead Haiti in Sid Meier's Civilization VI?

Last edited:

Jean-Jacques Dessalines was born into slavery in the French colony of Saint-Domingue, but would eventually prove crucial in the struggle for an independent Haiti, defending the island against both Spanish and later French forces before being crowned Haiti's first emperor as Jacques I. To this day, he is often regarded as the father of the country.

View attachment 654063
Unfortunately, Hero Forge doesn't really have any parts to let me make a very accurate rendition of Jacques I (or any sort of Napoleonic-era officer, really), so please enjoy this best-I-could-manage headshot featuring a hat and facial hair that aren't nearly glorious enough.

Jacques' unique ability is called Freedom from Bondage. This allows Haiti to declare Protectorate Wars from the beginning of the game and grants a 30% Production boost towards military units, Encampment Districts, and their buildings, as well as +2 movement for military units, during the first 5 turns of said wars.
Jacques' agenda is called Freed Man's Republic. He dislikes civilizations that war against or conquer civilizations or city-states that aren't on their home continent. He'd much prefer that you keep your conflicts local.

View attachment 654064
Haiti's unique civ ability is Pearl of the Antilles. Any Natural wonders within Haitian cities provide +2 Appeal to all tiles within the city. Improvements over luxury resources provide +1 additional Amenity and provide bonus Tourism in later eras.
View attachment 654065View attachment 654066
Haiti's unique unit is the Maroon. This unique Melee unit unlocks in the Industrial Era, is cheap to train, has high Movement speed, and gains +3 Combat Strength when fighting on Hills, Woods, or Rainforest.

View attachment 654067

Haiti gains a unique District in the Mache nan Lari. This replacement for the Commercial Hub automatically provides +1 Amenity to its city, as well as Tourism in later eras. It also provides a 2% discount on all purchases with Gold for each Mache nan Lari you've built, and this discount increases as you progress through the Technology tree.

With Haiti, you can build an empire that prospers from trade and tourism. Build a Mache nan Lari in each city to both increase your income and increase your discount towards Gold purchases. The bonus Tourism they provide will couple nicely with Haiti's improvements over luxury resources and their Appeal boost from Natural Wonders. If foreign civs try to encroach on your city-states or allies, Jacques I's unique ability, coupled with the guerilla tactics of the Maroon, will allow you to fight for freedom no matter the odds.
Will you stand for liberty and prosperity? How will you lead Haiti in Sid Meier's Civilization VI?
I like this!

Haiti's unique civ ability is Pearl of the Antilles. Any Natural wonders within Haitian cities provide +2 Appeal to all tiles within the city. Improvements over luxury resources provide +1 additional Amenity and provide bonus Tourism in later eras.
I like this ability. Would be cool if it involved reefs too because Haiti is an island, and no civ has any direct buffs to reefs.
I've been trying to figure out what this actually means, and to see any actual places in Haiti that even resemble a unique commercial hub, but I haven't had any luck.

I like this ability. Would be cool if it involved reefs too because Haiti is an island, and no civ has any direct buffs to reefs.

I've been trying to figure out what this actually means, and to see any actual places in Haiti that even resemble a unique commercial hub, but I haven't had any luck.
The unique apparently is referring to a kind of street market

You know, I hadn't thought about reefs! Good point, though! May have to add that.

And yeah, "Mache nan Lari" (plural might be mache lari yo, but I don't speak Haitian Creole) is just a way of saying 'street market', which from what I could tell tend to be common in the Caribbean.

Very nice to choice Dessalines as leader, he was indeed the first emperor. But, as the first interation on the game I think should be better L'Ouverture.
I like the image you choice to be Haiti symbol, I always tought it should be some voodoo symbol.
[IMG alt="Maroon.PNG"]https://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/maroon-png.654065/[/IMG] [IMG alt="Maroon icon.png"]https://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/maroon-icon-png.654066/[/IMG]
Haiti's unique unit is the Maroon. This unique Melee unit unlocks in the Renaissance Era, is cheap to train, has high Movement speed, and gains +3 Combat Strength when fighting on Hills, Woods, or Rainforest.
I like the idea of a Marron unique unit, but it could be also a unique unit of Jamaica. As something more Haitian I would suggest a voodoo priest who helped Haiti unities to heal more quick and make enemy units loses ataque.

But, overall very good your Haitian design. I love the images.

I like the idea of a Marron unique unit, but it could be also a unique unit of Jamaica. As something more Haitian I would suggest a voodoo priest who helped Haiti unities to heal more quick and make enemy units loses ataque.

But, overall very good your Haitian design. I love the images.
The Marron to me fits Haiti fine. Voodoo priests aren't also unique to Haiti either. That being said in my Haiti design I have a unique Holy Site that has a Voodoo ceremony city project that creates a melee unit after completion, which would be a Marron in the Renaissance/Industrial period.

The main reason I didn't touch on Voodoo/Vodun is, like has been said, it isn't strictly unique to one culture or nation, and secondly, "voodoo" and its terms/practices tend to have negative associations in the English-speaking world, mainly thanks to Hollywood (though worry not, I've read up plenty on the actual religion and I know it's not anything like common portrayals.) I suppose it could be added as a new religion though.

The main reason I didn't touch on Voodoo/Vodun is, like has been said, it isn't strictly unique to one culture or nation, and secondly, "voodoo" and its terms/practices tend to have negative associations in the English-speaking world, mainly thanks to Hollywood (though worry not, I've read up plenty on the actual religion and I know it's not anything like common portrayals.) I suppose it could be added as a new religion though.
Indeed there is also voodoo on Louisiana - USA and in Dahomey, isn't something exclusive from Haiti, but as the others aren't civs yet, it will kind of unique for Haiti. Also, Haitian voodoo is very different from USA voodoo and African voodoo, for example, if we made the symbol of Haiti a Voodoo symbol it should be very distinct and unique.

And about voodoo have a bad connotation in USA, unfortunately that's true, but this game have the power to try change this bad stigma because voodoo isn't the religion of devil, as some persons believe. Actually, there is no devil in African religion, don't even have the concept of some deity of pure evil as have in Christianity.

Sorry for double post, but I was on cell phone and can't show images of voodoo symbols.
That are the symbols of voodoo gods, if we should to choice one I would like to pick Papa Legba symbol because he is an important Voodun on Haitian mythology.

Despite the Haitian Voodoo be inspired on Dahomey religion, these kinds of symbols aren't present on Dahomeyan mythology. They are propably inspired from Adinkras of Ashante poeple, so we need to remeber on Haiti have africans of multiple origns.

these are the Adinkras of Ashante people, and speak of they. Sankofa (97,97) and Gye Nyame (39) are the best to represent Ashante people if they become a civ.

Top Bottom