E3 2010: New Civilization V Q&As, Screenshots, and Video

Well, that's how the E3 demo ended.

I'm not sure, but I think you forgot to mention that you now have to physically transport all spaceship parts to the capital - which is why that capital got nuked (the Aztecs had nearly finished their ship to Alpha Centauri.)

PS. The Culture victory is the "Utopia Project" which is researched after getting a certain number of social projects.

PPS. City states have personalities. For instance, Genoa in the demo I saw had "irrational" as a personality, meaning it would ask for off-the-wall favors from its friends. Befriending a CS funnels in Culture, etc, too.

Oh, and you can now install a puppet government in a city rather than annex it or raze it. The thing is, simply annexing a city can bring down production to your civ as a whole due to unhappiness. Leaving a puppet government means that it'll funnel its production to your coffers, but you have no ability to tell it how to produce at all. You can still annex it later when the time is right.

Oh, and now the conquer win condition only requires you conquer every capital. You don't need to capture every single city.

The unit graphics and the terrain look awesome! They really feel like a progression in style and technology that I expect from the Civ franchise. However...the interface just looks generic, and actually feels like a step backward. But, if the game plays as well as the rest of it looks, I can learn to cope with the interface.

He mentions a sense of mystery in the diplomacy game... I have to say that pretty much every game I've ever played that included a diplomacy game had no shortage of mystery. Usually along the lines of "I have your last city surrounded by more troops than you can muster in a thousand years. Can I interest you in a peace treaty?"

"We are not interested at this time.."

I'm ready for a game that is actually transparent when It comes to diplomacy, if for no other reason then that it would likely be released with fewer bugs.

:lol:

Well, that's how the E3 demo ended.

I'm not sure, but I think you forgot to mention that you now have to physically transport all spaceship parts to the capital - which is why that capital got nuked (the Aztecs had nearly finished their ship to Alpha Centauri.)

PS. The Culture victory is the "Utopia Project" which is researched after getting a certain number of social projects.

PPS. City states have personalities. For instance, Genoa in the demo I saw had "irrational" as a personality, meaning it would ask for off-the-wall favors from its friends. Befriending a CS funnels in Culture, etc, too.

Oh, and you can now install a puppet government in a city rather than annex it or raze it. The thing is, simply annexing a city can bring down production to your civ as a whole due to unhappiness. Leaving a puppet government means that it'll funnel its production to your coffers, but you have no ability to tell it how to produce at all. You can still annex it later when the time is right.

Oh, and now the conquer win condition only requires you conquer every capital. You don't need to capture every single city.

Uh, where???

Wow, this game is going to be so cool. One concern: Does anyone know how many turns a normal game will be? The different dates and turn counts on the screenshots made it hard to tell.

Wow, this game is going to be so cool. One concern: Does anyone know how many turns a normal game will be? The different dates and turn counts on the screenshots made it hard to tell.

My hope is that the pacing will be nice and slow as a default. They'll probably have options for different game speeds but I hope that 'normal' will be at least a 500 turn game. I don't want wars to start with swords and end with machine guns.

I was a little irked by Civ4:Col when I barely had time to sell three shiploads of finished goods before the war of independance started and I could no longer sell my goods. Tell me again why I worked so hard to build an economic infrastructure? Bah.

I'm going to assume he was at E3, but then again I'm not sure where your 'where' is referring to. Vague.

You understood me right... I was just thinking where the hell did he get that info...

My hope is that the pacing will be nice and slow as a default. They'll probably have options for different game speeds but I hope that 'normal' will be at least a 500 turn game. I don't want wars to start with swords and end with machine guns.
Yeah, I like long games precisely because I like large wars to fit into one technological era. I play marathon usually, occasionally epic. I heard that Civ V had the same pacing as Civ IV, but have not seen that verified. And I agree it would be nice if the "normal" game speed in Civ V was more like epic or marathon on Civ IV. It's sort of OK for the normal speed to be quick so long as they provide slower speeds, but you know they've optimised the game for the normal speed, so slower speeds will be a compromise.

I won't survive it, if there is no marathon!

i hope there is cheats and loads of promotion, love the new interface and I can tell that this game looks like an "improved civ: revolution" by just looking at the interface and some of the systems.

I don't know if this repeats anything from the video linked in the article, but there is a short and sweet interview with Dennis Shirk from the BBC here. The maps look gorgeous!

Looks good, and they better have longer games.

I hope the rivers look a bit better, because it seems like they just pasted a background wallpaper resembling a generic ocean there. The borders though, they look superb.

[*]Social Policies System: Players are able to mix and match the policies to construct one's government. Rather than having to switch out of one policy to adopt another, you build upon the policies already unlocked. Firaxis wants players to ask "What cool new effect do I want?" rather than asking "should I switch?".[/URL]

Cool. That was one shortcoming I saw in Civ4 that I mentioned a number of times here. I liked the idea of a "civic" system, but in practice only being able to have one per category at a time took a lot out of it, and I didn't really find it any more compelling than the several-governments-to-choose-from way of Civ3. The "mix and match" style of Tropico really made civics interesting there, and I'm glad this is coming to Civ.

I have mixed feelings about the warships being able to attack land targets. Realistically it makes sense, and I usually like that, but it was also one of my least favorite features of Civ3. Occasionally I could use it to my advantage, but 99% of the time it meant waiting for half a dozen or more AI frigates (usually) to bombard my units every turn, even though it was literally impossible (due to distance) for their land units to kill my units 97% of the time. Hopefully that shortcoming is addressed in Civ5.

wlievens, I had that happen once in GalCiv2, too, even though I don't play it very often. The AI doesn't always call you out on it, but it is funny that they call out both you and other games' AI at the same time.

I love the screenshot with the helicopter. However the minimap could look a lot better.

New to the scene and haven't had much chance to be good at Civ IV... Hope I'll be better in Civ V :D

Top Bottom