1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Early armies

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by ArnoldI, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ArnoldI

ArnoldI Black man!

Sometimes I try to play as Songhai and warmonger a little in the early game, but I always get very late to build the units and prepare to war.

In the end, my army is always weak in the Classical Era and I can just warmonger about the Midieval Era, when I have some know Civs and the others start to hate me.

Any tips? What should I do?

2. Udey1

Udey1 Prince

The answer is simple. Delay buildings, and build units instead. This sounds silly/obvious, but if you don't go whole hog, you won't get an army fast, and you'll wind up getting an army late.

Try it just once, if you are any decent at war, you'll do it almost every game. All cities- build units - NOW!

3. theguy8882

theguy8882 Warlord

The money loss from armies is usually manageable. what you need to do is before you build an army have a lot of money in the bank, second sell luxuries even if you have 1 copy when you get low, and three build nothing but units and key buildings.

4. LostInTime

LostInTime Warlord

What does your army consist of? Early game you have the composite bowmen rush thingie that can work very well, are you using that?

Later game you pick other units to research for and use. IW rushing isn't really recommended if that is what you are doing.

In essence, range is what you need. So tech advantage in ranged units, means you will crush AI armies. Ranged naval units can be better than ground if you have a snaky map as well.

5. ArnoldI

ArnoldI Black man!

Thanks, people! I'm gonna see if I can manage to prepare (and win) a decent war by the Classical Era.

Ps.: I usually go for about 3 siege units, 4 mounted and 5 infantry. Range isn't my speciality. And I know, range is awfully good. In a game I took a city with only a Swordman. I had bombarded it to to the ground with 2 Catapults and 3 Galleass.

6. Priah77

Priah77 Chieftain

Key is to build a bunch of archers and upgrade them all to coposite bowmen. My early game rushes will typically consist of four or five cbs and two or three spearmen and two or so throwaway warriors, Ill attack with two catapults 3 or 4 turns away from the battlefield. Usually I like to aim to have this attack ready by around turn 65 - 70.

Then again, I play deity, so any early attack is likely going to take a while to fight my way to a city. On lower level difficulties it probably makes sense to wait until the catapults are there.

7. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

Something i do for fun on Prince:

Start with two cities, both before turn 35, capture 2-3 luxes.

Build order (city #1): Scout, worker, granary, (rush buy settler with sold luxes), unit (map scouting), unit, rush or steal worker #2, Great library, NC, 6 Bowmen, 2 Catapults, 2 melee, Oracle (or more units).

I prioritize growth early on, so by the time i finish NC i can produce all required units quickly.

Build order (City #2): Granary, Library (preferably rushed with gold), 2 Catapults, 2 melee, 1 Bowman.

Tech order: Pottery, Lux tech (s), Writing, Construction, ... bottom part of the tree.

Policies: Tradition, Legalism, Landed Elite, Monarchy, Honor.

It is fairly easy to do this in first 80-90 turns of the game. Some of the above may be rush bought of course. From there, I divide units in two equal armies and go about warmongering in any direction.

Now, since I invested in National College, I will hit Crossbows and Trebuchets in another 20-30 turns. At that point (turns 100-120) I should already capture a couple of Capital cities and upgrade troops.

With some practice you can dominate Pangaea in less than 150 turns consistently and with any civilization.

8. Priah77

Priah77 Chieftain

Yeaa... you are not playing deity if that strategy is working. You need to move up in difficulty.

9. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

Why would i want to suggest a Deity strategy to a person, who is struggling with early armies?

10. Emperor Giulio

Emperor Giulio King

I find that it is important to spam trade posts over puppeted territory. I build them everywhere, all over the farms, mines, and remaining open space. The only tiles I don’t build trade posts over are luxuries, special food (i.e. wheat), and strategic resources. These cities are better to be used as merchant focused puppets, while the cities you have built are used for production; science; culture; etc.

11. Dogmouth

Dogmouth King

Since the post started with "something for fun I do on prince," you might have missed the point.

12. Emperor Giulio

Emperor Giulio King

I usually play on prince myself. I don’t think its fun to play a game that gives you a drastically unfair disadvantage; where the opponents have more of everything given to them. But I believe the only reason why they do that is because the AI is not advanced enough to make more intelligent decisions. It kind of reminds me of my Monopoly game on my phone; instead of making the AI more intelligent as the level of difficulty increases, they just give it an advantage in the outcome of the number rolled on the dice. 9 out of 10 times they will not land on your property, or 9 out of 10 times, you will land on there’s. Why? Because the AI is not advanced enough to make intelligent decisions on trading or where, and how fast they develop their property.

13. wannabewarlord

wannabewarlord Prince

Giulio, that is exactly the reason why. The AI needs this bump to provide a challenge to more skilled players. So it is not about "unfair", it is about providing a challenge. I, for example, don't find it fun to play on emperor or below where I steamroll the AI no matter what I do. Where's the point in always being ahead without having to put in an effort?

The Monopoly example - albeit it might be programmed so - is a poor example, however. Monopoly is a very statistically driven game and there's plenty of analysis out there about wich properties are the most valuable (depending on dice proability) and the optimum in houses/hotels, etc. I don't play Monopoly on that level, in fact, I find it a very boring game, but given this probability driven set up an AI could very well be programmed accordingly without resorting back to dice advantage. Or at least I believe it could.

The more apt comparison, in my opinion, is the game of GO. GO has the distinct advantage over Chess in that it allows players of different skill to even the playing field by adding starting stones on the star points. From 1 up to 9 stones are possible, thus effectively evening out up to 9 or more levels of kyu (skill).

Civ AI works the same way. If the AI and I both have 1 settler and get both X production, X science, X growth, etc. I will definitely always beat the AI. So what to do? Give the AI X+1 of everything or X+2, etc. as you go up in levels.

That's all there really is to it. And unless Skynet starts playing Civ, we might not have different options :D

14. Emperor Giulio

Emperor Giulio King

I get what you're saying, I just wish the AI could be more advanced, particularly with combat.

I think it would be cooler if instead of just providing the AI with extra stuff, the game just provided extra layers of challenges for the player as you advanced in difficulty. For example, dealing with natural disasters, taxes, social issues, disease, dissenter factions, pollution. I know a lot of that stuff was in previous incarnations of Civ; it would be great if they brought it back IMO. I propose as you advance in difficulty, you are confronted with more compounding problems that test your skills as a leader; the harder the game, the more you have to micro-manage.

15. mintcandy

mintcandy King

No ranged units at all?

I'd suggest swapping out 1 or 2 of those infantry units and 2 or 3 of those mounted units with ranged units from the same era.

Ranged units don't need to heal the next turn after attacking, and they don't need to use a movement point to prepare for an attack.