1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Early Eldorado Gold

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Redaxe, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

So i was playing through one of the Diety games uploaded to the Strategy forum and had the luck of cashing in on El Dorado on Turn 5 with a 500 gold payout.

My question is what is the best way to spend this gold.

1. Buy a settler and plant an early 2nd city - I've tried this on the map and it really doesn't seem to help my civ. An early 2nd city without a worker really sucks if you aren't able to immediately settle on a gem/silver/copper/gold resource with decent surrounding tiles to leverage off the happiness offset.

If you can't get a luxury such a luxury quickly improved you pretty much use up nearly all of your early happiness which has a number of drawbacks. Assuming you can plant on a mining luxury your production is still very low and a city in this condition will be almost useless until it can grow to size 3-4.
    Again it comes down to the fact that planting a city without a worker to expedite it's early growth seems to be a poor investment. Such a strategy means you really need to build and acquire at least 2 workers asap as once cities grow to about size 3 they tend to really struggle without tile improvements.

The other factor that weighs against this option is that (for Tradition at least) the free culture building was moved lower in the tree which means that a really early 2nd city is going to take some time before it gets the benefit of the free monument.

OR/

2. Buy a worker and start improving the capital tiles. I have found in this approach that if you get lucky and hit a gold ruin you have enough money to buy a monument or shrine as well.

I seem to find that this approach is better as it means i end up with a stronger capital rather than 2 really weak cities. A capital with early improved tiles really ends up much more productive and you can quickly get to size 3-4 to start producing settlers. You'll also have a chance to get some other early infrastructure out so your faith + culture generation isn't hamstrung. Sure your capital won't grow while you are producing those settlers but the worker will keep improving tiles in the meantime which means that your city will recover quickly.

Yes you can and should get workers from city states (possibly AI if you can) but this is unreliable and CS may take 20-30 turns to build a worker - and then you still have to waste turns walking it to your capital. The immediate worker does seem useful in establishing a strong early capital.

Summary - i find that with the Skilldorado gold I think that buying a worker + monument/shrine is a better alternative than buying a settler and being stuck with 2 low population cities. Any thoughts on this one?

Obviously it depends a little on your starting dirt. I.e if you found the Great Barrier Reef or Uluru nearby as well I would probably weigh in favor of buying the settler as Natural Wonders can have their own benefits.

2. King Abbas

King Abbas Chieftain

Is this a civ vi question?

Leyrann likes this.
  3. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

This relates to Civ V, not Civ VI, and should be moved.

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Thread moved

5. beetle

beetle Deity

Please provide the link to the original thread. Also, you are probably more likely to to get a reply if you post this question in that thread. (Since, nowadays, there are probably more forum users watching that thread than browsing this sub-forum.)

IMHO, you have mapped out the options quite thoughtfully. The conventional wisdom is to buy a Settler — which logically follows from how the extra Settler really accelerates the starts of the Deity AI civs.

But I think you are correct, that unless you are Spain (where the NW yields are doubled), settling on El Dorado early is not so viable. So the Worker+Shrine combo would be stronger play for very early in the game.

6. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

Oh thanks - sorry about the mispost I was wondering where the thread went to. Happy to hear if anyone else has any thoughts.