1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Early Game Survival vs. Genghis Khan

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by stuckatnoble, Sep 14, 2014.

1. stuckatnoble

stuckatnoble Chieftain

Managed to win a few games at monarch, 1 at emperor and then 1 at immortal in the last two weeks. So I decided to go out on a limb and try deity...:mischief:

Expanded to 3 cities by 1000 BC. Genghis Khan is neighbor and he unfortunately got horsies.

Expanded to a 4th after the attached save, and then got crushed by keshiks. My copper was very vulnerable, being right near his border, and was pillaged immediately. Didn't have any techs to bribe other AI's on him -- GS-bulbed Math was not useful.

The list of things I think I could do better the moment I saw Khan was my neighbor. Shoulda realized that I would be the natural target.

- Should have scouted him out
    - Should not have expanded to 4th city, and instead spent hammers on Walls and spearmen instead of settler and 2 more workers
    - Should not have researched Masonry for my marble -- should have been in survival mode rather than wonder-bread mode
    - Should have self-researched Archery knowing that my copper was so vulnerable

Not sure any of this would have done more than delay the inevitable, but you guys have any thoughts? I feel like walls + spears (keshik counter) + a chariot or two (axe counter) would give me a fighting chance at survival. Probably would get pillaged to hell and never dig myself out though.

What's worse than being landlocked next to Genghis (with horses) on Deity...?

2. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

It's nice you tried that, i never thought somebody would actually do what i write oO
    But i would say forget Genghis, normally he will attack Asoki or so here. Bad luck if he attacked you, happens.

We should look at your empire instead..
    and here i can notice that you suffer from "more workers" advice given on lower levels.
    Here you need less workers ;)
    You already have 4, and they are partly doing not yet needed stuff like building cottages (for Corinth, size 1).
    This city needed growth, not another worker. In serious games (like the one you are currently trying, or immortal) try using only ~1 worker/city, but improve the stuff they are doing and their paths instead towards what do i really need thinking.

So an important step would be seeing why your size 1 city should never build a worker here, and grow on gold instead.
    With Cre, also settle Sparta 1N (shared tiles, closer so bit less maintenance).
    And Corinth 2N for fish, dry Rice..crappy (could work gold until boat arrives).

Nice that you connected trade routes with Peter, i bet you saw you important earlier writing can be here. Again you are Cre, and needed this early for cheap libraries.
    So either pottery or AH, but not both and writing instead.
    Also not masonry only for 1 tile.

If you keep trying that you will improve quickly, but do not let AIs distract you (you are playing to lose :) ). Improve other steps first, without them you could not be successful anyways Genghis or not cos defending always requires a well set up empire first.

3. sinimusta

sinimusta el capitano

Just a quick comment: your gold rice city killed seafood and with you already having weak land and not too much of it, that's bad.

4. MegaLurker

MegaLurker King

Sometimes there's just not much you can do. You could have HA rushed him yourself, in which case him having Keshiks would require you to build a number of spearmen. Or perhaps if you're fast enough you'll start before he gets HBR and then you just face chariots, which is possible here with the nearby gold and cheap libraries.

I played the first few turns and got the expected result, though maybe the earliest DoW I've ever seen:

Turn 37, haven't even gotten out my first settler yet and neither has Genghis. I don't think I've ever seen a Deity AI declare with just 2 cities. This would encourage me even more to HA rush Genghis (or Asoka, depending on where he is) and without being in a particularly huge hurry, so I might actually try to steal that rice/cows/hills spot to the east before Peter gets it.

Looks to be a bit of a tough map. Our available land isn't great and Genghis is in jungle which means his cities are going to be pretty poor until a lot of worker turns are spent and calendar is in. But we have marble and we're Pericles so that helps a lot.

Attached Files: