Early Game Tradition Capital Strength - A Poll

What do you think of the damage of this Tradition capital?

• This is the right amount of damage

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • This is too much damage

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Too little damage for the city

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Besides augmenting HP and defense, a lot of people have criticized the healing rate of cities as being too slow, especially in later eras, where larger HP and more defense buildings makes max HP far outstrip the healing rate on cities.

Maybe some buildings could help "resupply" a sieged city, like aqueducts, harbors, seaports, hospitals, and military bases, by increasing the HP regen rate of cities, instead of bloating max HP even more?

Maybe some buildings could help "resupply" a sieged city, like aqueducts, harbors, seaports, hospitals, and military bases, by increasing the HP regen rate of cities, instead of bloating max HP even more?

Love the idea. Especially if that would only work if a city is not blockaded or surrounded. Then additional hit-points should stay.

@Kim Dong Un that's another great concept. I like it first and foremost for it's realism. Cities bombarding units by themselves always looked out of place and adventure-type game to me.

@Kim Dong Un , yep, I would not mind something like you propose. It is simple, transparent and there are no complicated calculations.

A thing to note - the units would be taking the same damage regardless of their strength (= a GDR and the spearman standing next to it, which you have been keeping for 4000 years as the Royal Honorary Guard would die at the same rate), correct? Possibly reduced by promos?
Yeah I was just laying out the basic idea while realizing there would of course be other variables involved. Like the fact that invading units would only take damage if they're in claimed enemy territory, not just within a city's 3-tile radius. Or that the damage would be exclusive between the type of defensive buildings and the type of units they affect (e.g., castle attrition damage wouldn't apply to invading naval units, only land units). The damage to invaders also wouldn't stack if they finished their turn within the range of multiple cities. It would definitely be an overhaul, and it might be an unfeasible idea for whatever other reasons, but I was just feeling out some thoughts, although apparently that's frowned upon in these parts...

This isn't a thread to post "solutions" just get peoples thoughts. So far the poll is pretty split, so there may not be any solutions needed.
I'm usually a big fan of yours, and you didn't @ me, but it's precisely who you were trying to address with that passive-aggressive sass. As someone you should know quite well around here by now, who occasionally takes his extremely valuable time to write out well articulated and constructive posts, despite wasting away from terminal illness, I find this insulting. It may seem trivial, but it was a completely unnecessary jab you threw, so now The Great Dong has to show great restraint in not countering too harshly with his own right-hook:

I had exactly one detailed post that was still somewhat on topic, after already voting and providing my opinion on the thread topic, and you admonish me like I'm spamming/hijacking your thread? Relax with that wanna-be hall monitor, teacher's pet nonsense - how many times now have you sent that application into the professor? We have enough problems with "policing" going on in the world right now...If you're so opposed to the friendly responses/discussion a couple protesters, ahem, I mean posters, had regarding my idea, then maybe try waking up on the right side of the bed next time.

And besides, if the possibility still indeed did exist, don't you think Supreme Leader would be the one to uncover such a "solution" and bring it forth to his devotees? Why do you remain so naive toward the powers that encompass The Glorious One? I'm changing my approach toward you as "guarded", for the time being, and I'd advise you do the same, lest we have to settle this on the battlefield; though be weary of this debate and piling your plate just to satiate, as I will not hesitate to exterminate, leaving no option to capitulate, should tensions escalate and you reciprocate, after I initiate with waves of hate, by then I estimate it may be too late for both to enter Heaven's gate. It's... a date? :dunno:

despite wasting away from terminal illness

:c5happy: Excellent news, down with the tyrant, comrades! Let old guard rot! Let her Feline Supreme Excellence be our new Priestess and Highest Guide on the way to Communism in lace of her weak brother who deals with imperialists! Let our hearts and international vile capitalism melt! Let Pyongyang be her sandbox! Meow!

Would it be too overpowered if cities were unable to do an attack if under siege (true siege, with all 6 tiles occupied)? I feel if you let your city get to that point the advantage should go heavily to the attacker, you should essentially be punished for not having enough of a standing army, and the attacker should be rewarded by being able to get 6 units into that formation and should be able to hold that position without worrying about their archers being one-shot. We can get rid of the heal/damage bonuses of blockading to give cities some more time to stall for reinforcements, but essentially armies should be removed by other armies. It encourages land/sea unit joint assaults and gives cities next to mountains a bonus (can’t blockade them except if you’re a marauding inca). Only real concern I have with this is it could be very easy to overwhelm and surround a city with high mobility units. Mongolia could surround a city on the turn of their DOW and slowly roll in the catapults.

Also where are they going to get more rocks to throw in your face if you blocked all the city’s exits?

I'm usually a big fan of yours, and you didn't @ me, but it's precisely who you were trying to address with that passive-aggressive sass

I went back to the top of the thread to double check myself. I count 5 posts containing or discussing solutions before I posted, so my post was certainly not directed at you directly, and I am sorry you found personal offense in them.

that said, I stand by my words, and there was nothing passive aggressive about them. I assertively claimed that I don’t think solutions should be posted in a poll thread assessing whether there is a problem to begin with.

As the OP I made my desire for the thread clear with my second posting. Now people of course have the right to ignore me, and I’m not going to just keep posting over and over trying to get people to follow my wish for the thread. I have made my desires known, and now I will contribute in the thread with no further push or reminders.

now supreme leader, do I have your permission to return to hailing supreme leader as supreme leader? :)

I went back to the top of the thread to double check myself. I count 5 posts containing or discussing solutions before I posted, so my post was certainly not directed at you directly, and I am sorry you found personal offense in them.

that said, I stand by my words, and there was nothing passive aggressive about them. I assertively claimed that I don’t think solutions should be posted in a poll thread assessing whether there is a problem to begin with.

As the OP I made my desire for the thread clear with my second posting. Now people of course have the right to ignore me, and I’m not going to just keep posting over and over trying to get people to follow my wish for the thread. I have made my desires known, and now I will contribute in the thread with no further push or reminders.
It's all good; 'twas I who probably woke up on the wrong side of bed and jumped the gun a little bit.

now supreme leader, do I have your permission to return to hailing supreme leader as supreme leader? :)
Consider yourself fateful and lucky today, Peasant, and I shall shift my opinion back to "neutral". Though, do realize that as reward, you will be subjected to a further 100 hours of VP testing in order to help finish solidifying the data and plans for my inevitable world supremacy.

:c5happy: Excellent news, down with the tyrant, comrades!
Unfortunately I wasn't role playing with that one, chief...

Precisely.

Unfortunately I wasn't role playing with that one, chief...

Jesus H. Christ,

I was completely unaware that you whole post wasn't tongue-in-cheek, you roleplay Supreme Leader so faithfully and amusingly for all of us that I was sure you were just referencing news about North Korean leader illness which was highly publicized and speculated upon.
I really didn't mean that to you personally, and I apologize for any pain or unnecessary thoughts I made have caused by my words.
I thought about deleting my post altogether, but if I did that on my own decision it would look like trying to delete the problem, rather than taking responsibility for my words.

This are the words that I directed to our irreplaceable Supreme Leader in a private message today, but I would also like to make these apologies publicly. That is because I would also like to admit making a fool of myself before you all who read my words, especially those for whom @Kim Dong Un's predicaments were known, and apologize also to you for their crudeness.

Jesus H. Christ,

I was completely unaware that you whole post wasn't tongue-in-cheek, you roleplay Supreme Leader so faithfully and amusingly for all of us that I was sure you were just referencing news about North Korean leader illness which was highly publicized and speculated upon.
I really didn't mean that to you personally, and I apologize for any pain or unnecessary thoughts I made have caused by my words.
I thought about deleting my post altogether, but if I did that on my own decision it would look like trying to delete the problem, rather than taking responsibility for my words.

This are the words that I directed to our irreplaceable Supreme Leader in a private message today, but I would also like to make these apologies publicly. That is because I would also like to admit making a fool of myself before you all who read my words, especially those for whom @Kim Dong Un's predicaments were known, and apologize also to you for their crudeness.
No need to apologize, friend, although I do appreciate your sincerity, so thank you. There is no way you could have known, for you are right to admire the display of divinity and righteousness that I put forth while channeling The One And Unly - I hadn't even thought of the coincidence that Supreme Leader is in indeed "feeling a bit under the weather" lately...

It's also only something that I've brought attention to at one other point in time, many moons ago, so I would imagine only a handful of posters are somewhat aware of my misfortune; It's not something I want advertised, nor am I looking for any hand-outs / special treatment, as it's something I'm largely responsible for with the mistreatment of my body and disregard for the well being of my physical health when I was a young adult. It's a double-edged sword I guess in a way: got cancer in the prime of my life, but being in the prime of my life has helped me survive longer than if I were an infant / elderly... Some days are better than others, and the mental toll is actually more taxing/traumatic/depressing a lot of the time, but the good news is that I'm still kicking almost 8 years later and getting to experience the VP crew pumping out awesome updates over the years!

End result of the poll, with 27 votes cast, 56% of people thought it was too much damage, 41% thought it was right on,. and 3% thought it too little.

Honestly those numbers are pretty close, especially considering the low number of votes. That suggest to me that the city is at least in the right ballpark, maybe a slight tweak could be done, but its not horrifically off.

How much damage would it do to less upgraded ordinary spears without a GG? More like 50-60 on the high end? That would be pretty hard to take even with a lot more spears, and much harder with a city or two building units to help. that's probably ok for filler units vs a worst case capitol, I suppose it's reasonable to expect to need swords or some solid bonuses.

Besides augmenting HP and defense, a lot of people have criticized the healing rate of cities as being too slow, especially in later eras, where larger HP and more defense buildings makes max HP far outstrip the healing rate on cities.
I noticed that if you make a peace deal after damaging their cities, and DoW right after the peace treaty expiration, you get free War Score for doing exactly nothing. Cities definitely should be able to heal up during the peace treaty. Current situation is very unfair to the losing side...

Bumping this topic. Playing as Babylon, starting an early war against Brazil who forward settled me.

86 damage to an Archer, by a walled, non-capital, Tradition city that has a garrison.

So I literally can't take any city. All because Brazil can get walls almost immediately after settling their cities.

Bumping this topic. Playing as Babylon, starting an early war against Brazil who forward settled me.

86 damage to an Archer, by a walled, non-capital, Tradition city that has a garrison.

So I literally can't take any city. All because Brazil can get walls almost immediately after settling their cities.
This might be unrelated to the this particular topic but i generally hate the production bonus on ABC bonuses for AI and i really think it should either get totally removed or heavily nerfed at least for the capital/first couple of cities because of situations like this.
Not only forward settle then next turn get walls up immediately is such a bummer but it's also one of the most annoying aspects of early game development especially on higher difficulties; the AI can get a pantheon way before you can (this such an annoyance since getting pantheons is a race itself) thanks to the production bonus on settling.

This might be unrelated to the this particular topic but i generally hate the production bonus on ABC bonuses for AI and i really think it should either get totally removed or heavily nerfed at least for the capital/first couple of cities because of situations like this.
Not only forward settle then next turn get walls up immediately is such a bummer but it's also one of the most annoying aspects of early game development especially on higher difficulties; the AI can get a pantheon way before you can (this such an annoyance since getting pantheons is a race itself) thanks to the production bonus on settling.

Well, Brazil was late on a pantheon.

But instead, they produced a settler and then produced the pyramid. So they filled up the prime real estate and had it walled up almost immediately. All in about the time it took for me to produce a gold invested Stonehenge after a monument (with Babylons investment prowess).

This opinion seems to be quite popular currently.

These are the values in DifficultyMod.xml from the 6-19-2 patch. IDK what all the values mean, but potentially players would experiment with some of them to see about improving the experience.

Spoiler Emperor :

<!-- AI Bonuses -->
<CityProductionNumOptionsConsidered>2</CityProductionNumOptionsConsidered>
<TechNumOptionsConsidered>2</TechNumOptionsConsidered>
<PolicyNumOptionsConsidered>2</PolicyNumOptionsConsidered>
<AttitudeChange>0</AttitudeChange>
<AIDeclareWarProb>175</AIDeclareWarProb>
<AIStartingDefenseUnits>1</AIStartingDefenseUnits>
<AIStartingExploreUnits>0</AIStartingExploreUnits>
<AIStartingWorkerUnits>0</AIStartingWorkerUnits>
<AIStartingUnitMultiplier>0</AIStartingUnitMultiplier>
<AIWorkRateModifier>50</AIWorkRateModifier>
<AIUnhappinessPercent>0</AIUnhappinessPercent>
<AIGrowthPercent>100</AIGrowthPercent>
<AIUnitCostPercent>80</AIUnitCostPercent>
<AIBuildingCostPercent>80</AIBuildingCostPercent>
<AIUnitUpgradePercent>75</AIUnitUpgradePercent>
<AICreatePercent>100</AICreatePercent>
<AIWorldConstructPercent>100</AIWorldConstructPercent>
<AIWorldCreatePercent>100</AIWorldCreatePercent>
<AIFreeXP>20</AIFreeXP>
<AIFreeXPPercent>66</AIFreeXPPercent>
<VisionBonus>0</VisionBonus>
<!-- Per Era Bonuses -->
<AITrainPercent>80</AITrainPercent>
<AIConstructPercent>80</AIConstructPercent>
<AIUnitSupplyPercent>25</AIUnitSupplyPercent>
<AIPerEraModifier>-8</AIPerEraModifier>
<!-- CBP Difficulty Bonus -->
<DifficultyBonusBase>5</DifficultyBonusBase>
<DifficultyBonusA>350</DifficultyBonusA>
<DifficultyBonusB>230</DifficultyBonusB>
<DifficultyBonusC>145</DifficultyBonusC>

Spoiler Deity :

<!-- AI Bonuses -->
<CityProductionNumOptionsConsidered>1</CityProductionNumOptionsConsidered>
<TechNumOptionsConsidered>1</TechNumOptionsConsidered>
<PolicyNumOptionsConsidered>1</PolicyNumOptionsConsidered>
<AIDeclareWarProb>225</AIDeclareWarProb>
<AIWorkRateModifier>70</AIWorkRateModifier>
<AIUnhappinessPercent>-10</AIUnhappinessPercent>
<AIUnitCostPercent>70</AIUnitCostPercent>
<AIBuildingCostPercent>70</AIBuildingCostPercent>
<AIUnitUpgradePercent>65</AIUnitUpgradePercent>
<AIFreeXP>30</AIFreeXP>
<AIFreeXPPercent>100</AIFreeXPPercent>
<VisionBonus>2</VisionBonus>
<!-- Per Era Bonuses -->
<AITrainPercent>70</AITrainPercent>
<AIConstructPercent>70</AIConstructPercent>
<AIUnitSupplyPercent>35</AIUnitSupplyPercent>
<AIPerEraModifier>-10</AIPerEraModifier>
<DifficultyBonusBase>9</DifficultyBonusBase>
<DifficultyBonusA>375</DifficultyBonusA>
<DifficultyBonusB>260</DifficultyBonusB>
<DifficultyBonusC>180</DifficultyBonusC>

These are the values in DifficultyMod.xml from the 6-19-2 patch. IDK what all the values mean, but potentially players would experiment with some of them to see about improving the experience.

Spoiler Emperor :

<!-- AI Bonuses -->
<AIFreeXP>20</AIFreeXP>
<!-- Per Era Bonuses -->

Spoiler Deity :

<!-- AI Bonuses -->
<AIFreeXP>30</AIFreeXP>
<!-- Per Era Bonuses -->

I think one of the main differences between VP and vannila when it comes to difficulty is the distribution of bonuses through out the game rather than the AI starting with a lot of them at once and that's been much better in terms of both AI performance and the game experience in general but production bonus specifically seems to revert what VP has done to the bonuses; yes ghe AI does not start with a full fldeged army but it gets a production boost big enough to build a walled city and a couple of units just by settling an extra city and i'm actually curious about what point does producing a settler and settling at any location -even if the city is to be captured at the very turn it's founded- is outweighed by the instant bonuses from just settling.

Spoiler Emperor :

<!-- AI Bonuses -->
<AIFreeXP>20</AIFreeXP>
<!-- Per Era Bonuses -->

Spoiler Deity :

<!-- AI Bonuses -->
<AIFreeXP>30</AIFreeXP>
<!-- Per Era Bonuses -->

You can see what all the values mean here.

You can see what all the values mean here.

I noticed EarliestBarbarianReleaseTurn for the AI is 0, seems like an odd choice given how sketchy the AI's defense against early game raiding is. Does this mean early barbs can walk right in and pillage stuff or snatch workers?

I noticed EarliestBarbarianReleaseTurn for the AI is 0, seems like an odd choice given how sketchy the AI's defense against early game raiding is. Does this mean early barbs can walk right in and pillage stuff or snatch workers?

I think it means they can spawn at the start but I'm pretty sure they can't attack your cities (and maybe even enter your lands?) early on. You can see this when there is a barb super early and they just refuse to attack your cap and back off. Unlike later where they will attack the city directly.

Top Bottom