Early GP Use?

JanissaryRush

Warlord
How does everyone use their first few GPs?

If I can build a bazzar I will get a Great Merchant asap. Getting all that gold from a trade route makes a colossal difference. It lets me invent religions, get a wonder tech first or go for catapults quickly.

Next I like to get a golden age or 2 at the time that Im doing the second round of revolutions, beurracury, religion, free church, private, etc. You can save a lot of turns if you time it right. Plus the economic benefits of golden age decreases the longer the game goes on, due to buildings greatly increasing the rate of resource consumption.

Having a great religion building founded next makes a big difference.

Academies are awkward. They make a smaller difference in the short-term than other GP uses, but that lasts a forever. If I don't build any I really notice it.

How does everyone use their first few GPs?

If I can build a bazzar I will get a Great Merchant asap. Getting all that gold from a trade route makes a colossal difference. It lets me invent religions, get a wonder tech first or go for catapults quickly.

Next I like to get a golden age or 2 at the time that Im doing the second round of revolutions, beurracury, religion, free church, private, etc. You can save a lot of turns if you time it right. Plus the economic benefits of golden age decreases the longer the game goes on, due to buildings greatly increasing the rate of resource consumption.

Having a great religion building founded next makes a big difference.

Academies are awkward. They make a smaller difference in the short-term than other GP uses, but that lasts a forever. If I don't build any I really notice it.
They don't!

I try to get one Great Prophet for shines and keep on in reserve for capturing a second Holy City likely to not have a Shrine. Other than that I spawn Great Engineers for Wonder Construction (since I play with my own modules). If I get the Great Library, I end up using that city for Great Scientists, which I use for Academies for science acceleration until Computers. The rest of the GPs I need for corps I get from Tech bonuses (I rush Economics and Music depending on my corps strategy).

I generally don't use my golden ages early on, I wait until the Mausoleum before I start Golden Ages. I deal with early anarchy by timing it during turns which require more tile improvement than city improvement.

Top Bottom