Early Hunnic aggression amply rewarded: now what?

bovinespy

Prince
Hi all. I've got a doozy of a game going right now (King/Huge/Marathon/Fractal/default #AI's and CS's) with Attila. Popped a Ram from a ruin and took out Songhai on turn 15 (I think that's a record for me), then just kept on rolling. 8 Horse Archers & 4 Rams = entire landmass cleaned out. I razed all cities, so now in 700BC (turn 280 or so), I've only got 4 cities of my own (took Tradition to build strong base), but SEVEN puppeted capitals. As you might expect, there are huge expanses of open land between cities, and further complicating matters is that only one city at present is coastal (puppeted Venice).

I'm usually a CV/SV kinda guy, so I've little experience in this situation. Looking for any tips/suggestions.

TLDR: Got 2/3 of world's land all to myself by 700BC - now what to do?

I'm in a similar game with Attila (although on standard size, pangea map, deity, standard speed). I used to play marathon games exclusively and only recently converted to standard/deity.

Your next priority is discovering the other land mass(es). You need to know where to go and who you'll be seeing before blindly embarking your units. Get those caravels out fast. Once you meet them, play nice, get open borders, and send a scout through their lands.

More than likely, you'll be facing more than one civ whose tech is pretty far ahead of you. This means that your Horse Archers and Battering Rams, as experienced as they are, will be mince-meat. Your second priority is to get them upgraded to Knights and Trebuchets ASAP. Hopefully you did your promotions with that in mind.

You'll be trailing in tech for awhile, so grow your cities fast and you should be pumping out a ton of BPT, GPT, and CPT with a wide empire that doesn't have to worry too much about defense.

When you do embark, take a settler with you and settle it in a defensible spot as close as you can to your own land mass. Get as much of your army into this new territory before you launch your first attack, otherwise you'll be vulnerable while making the ocean voyage. You don't want them to know you're an evil bastard until you are ready to start the onslaught.

Now, go rampage.

TLDR: Got 2/3 of world's land all to myself by 700BC - now what to do?

Go back and try it again on standard speed, standard size on Emperor/Immortal/Deity, depending on how easy you found what you did in this last game?

Or try a civ without an early game advantage?

Or try an archipelago map so you can practise naval warfare, and (like many of us) find out you find it even more boring than land warfare? :D :D

I agree that you should stop, since you already won. For the first 50 hours or so I used to play maps bigger than standard, but now I play on standard or sometimes small. I have NEVER seen the attraction of epic or marathon.

Go after the remaining 1/3 or build to your heart's content

I'm in a similar game with Attila (although on standard size, pangea map, deity, standard speed). I used to play marathon games exclusively and only recently converted to standard/deity.

Your next priority is discovering the other land mass(es). You need to know where to go and who you'll be seeing before blindly embarking your units. Get those caravels out fast. Once you meet them, play nice, get open borders, and send a scout through their lands.

More than likely, you'll be facing more than one civ whose tech is pretty far ahead of you. This means that your Horse Archers and Battering Rams, as experienced as they are, will be mince-meat. Your second priority is to get them upgraded to Knights and Trebuchets ASAP. Hopefully you did your promotions with that in mind.

You'll be trailing in tech for awhile, so grow your cities fast and you should be pumping out a ton of BPT, GPT, and CPT with a wide empire that doesn't have to worry too much about defense.

When you do embark, take a settler with you and settle it in a defensible spot as close as you can to your own land mass. Get as much of your army into this new territory before you launch your first attack, otherwise you'll be vulnerable while making the ocean voyage. You don't want them to know you're an evil bastard until you are ready to start the onslaught.

Now, go rampage.

Thank you for the suggestions. Currently finishing Metal Casting - thereafter will go Compass & Astronomy.

@ consentient:

Not that you asked, but I'm currently working my way through all 30-whatever Civs, to get a victory with each on the same settings before moving up to Emperor.

@ Magma Dragoon:

My penchant is far more for building, so I'll be doing that to my heart's content. ;)

Top Bottom