Early industrial strategy

tR1cKy

taking over the world
I've found this strategy very effective. It gives me a consistent lead over all the civilizations in a relatively short period of time (assumed i don't have it already, of course).
First go for Steam Power. Railroads will increase both production and food.
Then go for Industrialization, and build factories ASAP. Don't build Coal Plants. Select 2 cities with high production. City 2 must not be the capital and needs to be near a river. Start Universal Suffrage in city 1 and Palace in city 2.
Third technology must be Electricity (irrigation everywhere if needed). Then go for Medicine and Scientific Method.
Once you get Scientific Method, turn the production in city 1 to Theory of Evolution". City 2 must stick on Palace.
Manage your scientific spending so you'll end a civilization advance when you lack 1 turn to finish Theory of Evolution. If it's not possible, spend a few turns on zero research (and collect the big money!)
When you're 1 turn left to Theory of Evolution, research Atomic Theory (and stick with zero research money).
Next turn you'll finish Theory of Evolution and you're awarded with Atomic Theory. Next technology must be Electronics. In the same turn, you'll get Electronics. Now you can switch production of city 2 to Hoover Dam.
In a few turns you should complete Hoover Dam. Now you have:
- Factories with free Hydro Plants in them (big production!)
- A decent amount of money (from turns with zero research)
- A consistent technology lead, which you can use to trade for Nationalism, Replaceable parts or whatever you like.

Now it's time to kick some ass... :)

Note: this strategy must be followed with caution. DON'T have let cities finish Universal Suffrage or Palace (this would be disastrous). Try to estimate the turns left to reach Scientific Method and, if necessary, delay the pre-building of wonders. Sometimes you'll find better to follow a slightly different path, but the main steps of this strategy are the same: build Factories, then get Theory of Evolution and Hoover Dam as soon as possible.

Make sure your Hoover prebuild is in a city with a river in its radius, or else you amy be disappointed. This slingshot is probably the most important in the game for people playing at the appropriate level. I tend to think these are the two most important wonders in the game.

Yes, they are, expecially at hard levels. "Slingshot" is a good name to describe this strategy.
Yesterday i won a game by domination in 1560, monarch level. It was the 1st time i didn't need to rely on the Slingshot to surpass the other civs - i already had a clear lead over them.
Time to switch to Emperor level, i guess.

Mmmm...This strategy is efficent but often cities near your capitol don't have rivers and then the idea with Hoover Dam is lost:( .Unlike punkbass2000 I think that in a Conquest Victory Hoover Dam and Sun'Tzu's Art of War are the most important not Universal Suffrage.Theory of Evolution is good but its effect is short lived and leads to this ''Slingshot'' Strategy.

Top Bottom