Early NHL Playoff Picks

If the NHL Playoffs were to start now, who would win the Stanley Cup?

• Boston Bruins

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Calgary Flames

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Colorado Avalanche

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Dallas Stars

• Detroit Red Wings

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Los Angeles Kings

• Montréal Canadiens

• Nashville Predators

• New Jersey Devils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New York Islanders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ottawa Senators

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Philadelphia Flyers

• San Jose Sharks

• Tampa Bay Lightning

• Toronto Maple Leafs

• Vancouver Canucks

• A team that wouldn't make the playoffs now, but will when the playoffs really do start.

• Total voters
Originally posted by pboily
Having Don Cherry telling you otherwise doesn't make it so... 37 years and counting.

And Ottawa last won the Cup when? :p

The Ottawa Senators won Stanley cups in 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1909, 1911, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1923, and 1927. :p But the modern team hasn't won one yet, seein gas they are only 12 years old. At least it is better than not winning the cup in 37 years straight. :p

The Broad Street Bullies and the Big Bad Bruins don't win Stanley Cups anymore, boys and girls. Take a look at the last 15 winners.

That may be let me say two things:

Where is the grit with the Skill mix on Ottawa? Alfredsson checking from behind?

The leafs are still good enough the beat the Sens. Remember game six two seasons ago? Up 2 nothing and the St. Johns Maple Leafs still able to beat the sens.:rolleyes:

but they actually have a shot at Lord's Stanley's Mug.

It's funny how playoff hockey works: the Sens can't beat the Leafs, the Leafs can't beat the Flyers, the Flyers can't beat the Sens.... and the Devils win the Cup.

There is no reason to expect sports to be transitive but it would be nice still...

And admit it, you'd take Alfie, Hossa, Chara, Redden on your team any day... just as we would Sundin, Mogilny, Roberts, Belfour (none of your defensemen however... what a rotten squad the Leafs have on the blue line)

Happy Hockey Day in Canada everyone!

Maybe someone who likes the Habs? :p

I predict another spring of playoff heartbreak in Vancouver. Dan Cloutier will again be fortunate that Canada has tight gun control laws. The Canucks will again play gutless heartless hockey when they can least afford it.

I think it will be Ottawa.

On the other hand Gaborik is starting to play like he is supposed to and the Wild are finally scoring. They may be able to sneak into the eighth spot in the West and go on a miracle run.:p If I have to watch another ****ing 1-1 tie I am going to shoot my TV.

Ouch!

I think I'm changing my vote... and what a dismantlement in Washington: Lang, Bondra, Jagr...

If they jettison Kolzig and Gonchar as well, this might go down as the biggest firesale in NHL history...

And just think, next year they could do worse than Pittsburgh :eek:

I feel sorry for you poor Canadians. It's been a decade since a Canadian team has been in the finals. Who knows, maybe this is the year. I like the way the Stars ghave been playing lately, they get my vote.

Originally posted by pboily

The Broad Street Bullies and the Big Bad Bruins don't win Stanley Cups anymore, boys and girls. Take a look at the last 15 winners.

Uh....

They dont win stanely cups because they havent in the last 15 years? That is ONE HELL of a logical fallacy dude. That means no one but the winners in the last 15 years can win a cup? Why not have the other teams fold so the teams that can have a chance to win (based on your logic) can attact more fans.

The Bruins have one of their best teams in years. And if Girard can indeed come back in time for the playoffs, it could be like last year when that canadian guy came back, good morale support and an excellent team. Hopefully though, its Ottawa vs Bruins and hopefully (doubtfully) the Bruins will win so I can quote this and laugh.

Go Bruins.

Originally posted by WildFire

Uh....

They dont win stanely cups because they havent in the last 15 years? That is ONE HELL of a logical fallacy dude. That means no one but the winners in the last 15 years can win a cup? Why not have the other teams fold so the teams that can have a chance to win (based on your logic) can attact more fans.

The Bruins have one of their best teams in years. And if Girard can indeed come back in time for the playoffs, it could be like last year when that canadian guy came back, good morale support and an excellent team. Hopefully though, its Ottawa vs Bruins and hopefully (doubtfully) the Bruins will win so I can quote this and laugh.

Go Bruins.

Boston this year (or in the last 20 years) is not the Big Bad Bruins: it's a good hockey team with not so much as a dirty bone in their buddy... well maybe Doug Doull, with 120 PIM in 20 games or so.

None of the last 15 (Heck, none of the last 20) Stanley Cup Champs have been built on brawn, a la Toronto Maple Leafs... so in this new era of hockey, this style doesn't produce results... Since the Bruins are not built on brawn, they have a (relatively small, methinks) chance to win the Cup.

I fail to see the fallacy. Of course, mixing logic and sports is always a dicey proposition.

That being said, the Bruins don't stand a chance this year either...
:lol:

Go Sens!

You say that none of the last 15 cup winners have been built and brawn. Then you say the bruins are not built on brawn and that they have no chance to win. Wouldnt you mean they have a good chance to win? If not, thats one hell of a logical fallacy.

Since the Bruins are not built on brawn, they have a (relatively small, methinks) chance to win the Cup.

:confused: ... you haven't been reading the posts, WildFire, have you... you were just looking for an excuse to put up a picture of Bobby Orr scoring a Stanley Cup winning goal. Now I get it...

Sure the Bruins have a chance to win it all, but compared to the Red Wings, Devils, Avs, Sens, Flyers, Canucks, and oh, what the hell, Lightning, it is a slim chance. That is why they are not going to win the Cup.

I am sure you'll be looking for a fallacy in there ... alright, how about you pretend I wrote that the Bruins can't win because their third jersey is ugly? If you look carefully at the list of the last 20 winners, you'll notice that no team with Winnie the Pooh as a logo has won the Cup, ergo, the Bruins won't win the Cup.

Enjoy! (and Go Sens!)

Originally posted by Drewcifer

On the other hand Gaborik is starting to play like he is supposed to and the Wild are finally scoring. They may be able to sneak into the eighth spot in the West and go on a miracle run.:p
Or maybe not.

I think Detroit just got a little bit more dangerous.

Merde...

would hate to be a Leafs fan now. What are they waiting for, Pronger?

(Now that would be an upgrade)

I'm the wise guy who voted for the Habs! It was me! Mwahahaha!
But now we have Kovalev and two good scoring lines. Good depht, great defense if Souray comes back and the best goalie in the league (with Brodeur and Luongo).
Montréal baby! Woooohoooo!

O.k, I'm not usually like that but as a Habs fan I'm not use to big trades at the deadline and I'm really excited to see a great player like Kovalev in a Montréal uniform.
Now excuse me, I'm off to the St-Catherine street to secure my place for the parade... ;)

If you want a seat at the parade, then you better hope that the Senators decide to visit Montreal. :p

Top Bottom