Early NHL Playoff Picks

If the NHL Playoffs were to start now, who would win the Stanley Cup?

• Boston Bruins

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Calgary Flames

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Colorado Avalanche

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Dallas Stars

• Detroit Red Wings

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Los Angeles Kings

• Montréal Canadiens

• Nashville Predators

• New Jersey Devils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New York Islanders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ottawa Senators

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Philadelphia Flyers

• San Jose Sharks

• Tampa Bay Lightning

• Toronto Maple Leafs

• Vancouver Canucks

• A team that wouldn't make the playoffs now, but will when the playoffs really do start.

• Total voters
Wow... some one actually believes that Nashville is gonna win the cup?:eek:

We all know its gonna be Detroit.

Detroit? You mean the fake hockey town? :p Naa...they won't win but it's just my humble opinion. Quite frankly, any team getting into the playoffs with a good goalie can win this year. The competition is going to be excellent!

@Pboily: Interesting read, can't say I disagree with Kelly. But it's only a small dominating minority that worships Don Cherry, "good ol' Canadian boys" and dirty hockey. The reactions to Bertuzzi's actions seems to prove this. You should go on a Canucks board and witness what some nit-wits are saying. "It's the media's fault", "It's Granato's fault", funny and disturbing stuff. :lol:
There's always idiots and this statement seems even truer(sp?) when it comes to sports fans.

Originally posted by De Lorimier
Detroit? You mean the fake hockey town?

i live here and you are right--they boo'd their own team off the ice twice in the last 5 years when they were eliminated in the first round on home ice--great fans:rolleyes:

I wasn't refering to the fans pawpaw but seeing what you wrote I can't disagree.
I was mentionning "fake hockey town" mostly because I don't know hot they got this name. Montréal or even Toronto would be the real hockey towns in my book.

Originally posted by pboily
I think he may have (part of) a point...

Source

An excellent article. It's very critical of Canada and Canadians, and as a true Canadian who loves his country allow me to say that that criticism is well deserved. I'm tired of people who think we ought to wave the Maple Leaf around over this kind of crap.

It's a stain on this country, a true embarassment.

I won't say that all European and American players are darlings, but at least they are more focussed on the sport rather than some ridiculous goon system just to massage the national ego.

Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
Wow... some one actually believes that Nashville is gonna win the cup?:eek:

It was highly wishful thinking on my part. I think Toronto will get it.

and the leader of team canada says bertuzzi is still a canidate for team canada:confused: great message, too much a criminal to play for a city but not a country

Originally posted by pawpaw
and the leader of team canada says bertuzzi is still a canidate for team canada:confused: great message, too much a criminal to play for a city but not a country

Who are you referring to exactly?

I can't see him being selected, far too much controversy.

Originally posted by sysyphus

Who are you referring to exactly?

I can't see him being selected, far too much controversy.

bob nicholson ( head of hockey canada ) says in an interview that bertuzzi is still on his list of 40-50 players to play for canada

Originally posted by pawpaw
bob nicholson ( head of hockey canada ) says in an interview that bertuzzi is still on his list of 40-50 players to play for canada

Interesting. Still, that's about as non-comittal a statement as there is, he's neither saying Bertuzzi will or won't play for us.

That sort of fence-sitting is about as Canadian as it gets! ;)

I think that Bertuzzi still has a chance to make it to team Canada. But this whole thing has lowered his chances greatly.

Well, personally, I hope he doesn't. That sort of behaviour is an embarassment to Canadian hockey, so I can't say I want him out there representing us.

Looking forward to hearing the drivel that the ugly old man in the ugly suit has to say tomorrow night. I'm sure he'll find a way to blame Moore's visor.

:lol: Ah yes, everyones "favourite, non-biased" hockey commentator

Concerning Cherry: he said "Somebody on the Flyers should make sure that Havlat eats his steak with a straw for the next while", referring to Havlat's dirty hit on Recchi...

Now that someone HAS to eat steak with a straw, I wonder if he still feels the same.

It doesn't happen too often, but there are times I am ashamed to be a hockey fan.

Now that someone HAS to eat steak with a straw, I wonder if he still feels the same.

Of course he doesn't. When it's a (English) Canadian doing the smacking about, he's just a good Canadian kid standing up for his team, good old fashioned guts etc., but when the perpetrator is European, well then "That's a cheap Euro trick, I don't wanna see any of you kids out there doing this..."

sysyphus - I meant does he still feel that way about Havlat, but no doubt you are right.

I am not a big fan of Cherry, but I'm a Franco-Ontarien; it's hard to for me to say if I dislike him for his views on hockey or because of his attacks on francophones.

I wonder what the average canadian thinks or how he/she feels about him. I remember catching a piece of Rick Mercer's new Toronto show. He held an Internet poll to determine which CBC celebrity (oxymoron) would be the best candidate for Rideau Hall when Clarkson's term is up. Cherry was the overwhelming winner. With that announcement, the crowd went wild.

I don't actually know anybody who agrees with him, but there must be plenty who do, because he's got crazy ratings (unless people tune him in to see what bull he's going to spew)

So what do you think? Is he truly an idol to 20% of the population or a joke to everyone? To 35%?

Originally posted by sysyphus

Never you mind my friend, the Cup is only travelling 1km this year.

Does anybody else see the irony of having the Stanley Cup in Toronto all winter long? ;)

So what do you think? Is he truly an idol to 20% of the population or a joke to everyone? To 35%?

A good question, I'm not sure if a public opinion poll on CHerry has ever really been taken.

From people I personally know, people more or less don't mind him too much but they don't take him seriously either. I'd say that his popularity is waning. When I was younger I loved him and thought he was the greatest, now he just makes me vomit.

I got a real kick out of the look of disgust on Rick Mercer's face when he made that announcement.

Does anybody else see the irony of having the Stanley Cup in Toronto all winter long?

Not really, most people stay home for the winter. :p

All I can say about Cherry is that he is a living joke and is not taken very seriously around here.
In my mind, he only represents a very, very small part of canadian society (I sure hope so!).
Originally posted by sysyphus:
Not really, most people stay home for the winter. :p
So the question still stands then! :D The cup should stay here until a team catches up to the Habs. :p

Cherry is so annoying. Can we launch him into space or something...and leave him there?

Top Bottom