Early preferences: Few huge cities or many "villages"?

Discussion in 'CivRev - Strategy & Tips' started by logical_psycho, Aug 7, 2008.

1. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Expansion before growth, in my opinion. There's no reason not to build a lot of cities and then let them grow.

2. NaZdReG

NaZdReG Warmonger

tight deployment for me is no more than 3 squares of land between cities whenever I can help it. this allows for an ideal number of spaces to work (you can always build courthouses when needed)

for most of my cities I follow ICS style which is city, tile, tile, city in a grid or wheel around my capitol.

most cities during the game won't come up over pop 12, so even with a courthouse they'll all be working. if you have a major gold, science, or production center and it needs space thats fine.

and.. multiple cities is magnified when you get a humanitarian. either accelerate growth of your major city or raise the overall effectiveness of the empire. the more cities you have the more dramatic this example becomes.

i.e. increased growth in capitol, or 10 population across your empire? which is going to result in 20 extra resources coming in immediately. the cities will grow even faster because they are larger. if you need further growth, just allocate that extra citizen to food for each city and you'll grow like crazy.

NaZ

3. Raw Power

Raw Power Chieftain

I'm only familiar with this up to emperor, but here goes.

In the early game you are saving up money to get the free settler, and then to 250 to get the currency or banking.

This money alone in an emergency is enough to rush buy and army of units.

Anyway by the time you reach currency or 250G, you are usually up to at least 2-3 cities (free settler + one AI), and one of these should be using at least 2 tiles to produce gold. My start actually involves not producing anything except for in one city cranking out defenders and/or settlers, the rest of my cities are focused on either gold or science (and growth in between) and at first chance i will rush a market in the main gold city if i don't get that for free from currency. Due to my emphasis on commerce i often get Great Explorers early, which adds another 50% gold. So i usually rake in at least around 20GPT in the early game (pre banking), and with the "stocks" of gold i have from the early game this is usually enough to keep me afloat, remember gold is for investment in future benefits or needs.

I must also admit to beeline for the techs that has first research bonus for adding one pop to each city, as that helps tremendously in the long run.

4. Bosey

Bosey Chieftain

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere... I am real rookie at this game...

How do you rush a tech?????

5. Raw Power

Raw Power Chieftain

Rushing a tech:
    a) You can research a tech without knowing all the prerequisite techs, as long as you can research it within 8 turns, and this way "skip" some techs to get the one you want faster. (overall your research will in most cases be slowed however due to a penalty for skipping techs)

b) Using a great scientist you can research techs the same turn, so you can get an "expensive" tech asap. So if you don't have a good research city, change tech to one you need fast, or the most expensive one and rush it using the great scientist.

6. ctmarco3

ctmarco3 Chieftain

personally I prefer a mix of both. In my capital I will concentrate on growth for a few turns, (after I get 2-3 warriors out) get my free settler, build a settler and concentrate on growth again (do this in whichever city has a higher food output) while my other city concentrates on science output) rinse and repeat. This is magnified once you get republic. Just make sure you take some defense with your new city and of course place it strategically. If relatively near another civ I take an army with me..if further away just one defense.

7. BurN

BurN Prince

Coming from a civ4 player: Kidnapped my little brothers xbox for a day and could play two games of civrev.

King/Domination: Few room to expand -> horse archer rush -> kill everyone with knights.

Emperor/Culture: Lots of room to expand -> fast settlers to block the AI -> spammed more settlers and archers to backfill -> Resulted in easily outteching the AI -> Killed all but one AI with tanks vs archers. :rolleyes:

So from my experience and since there is no city maintenance cost .. spam those settlers.

ps: I'm a total noob at CivRev, which just proves how idiotic the AI is. Didn't get the chance to play deity but I don't expect much of it. :sad: