Early Techs Balance

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by supracseduch, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Mitch.sp

Mitch.sp Warlord

Thanks, will take a look now. :thumbsup:
    Anyways if you don't mind can send me your already modified files?

2. a1nosweat

a1nosweat Warlord

Reading this - couldn't there be a couple more late tech unlocks? Tobacco for example? Dye? Spices or perfume? silicon? :)

Then perhaps a (native american) civ could be give the (possibly op) trait of being able to weave/smoke/raise/farm anything on discovering an ancient tech (eg. calender)

"Roads are useless without Settlers" - Not sure - Having a settler run along a road to settle, with an immediate city connection is quite handy. Lower difficulties though

3. Funak

Funak Deity

I've actually tried doing this a few times only to realize I never bothered researching the wheel. I think I would still do it if I actually had workers before I went for settlers (which I almost never do)

4. phantomaxl1207

phantomaxl1207 King

I would rather have Tile Improvements over Roads and Connections

5. Funak

Funak Deity

That too. Sometimes I've built a worker with no tiles to improve however (heavy forest/jungle start or a hillstart with no river)

6. Zanteogo

Zanteogo King

Does anyone else think that returning settlers to a default starting ability might be a good thing?

7. phantomaxl1207

phantomaxl1207 King

Or put them on the Wheel :D

8. Funak

Funak Deity

I was a strong supporter of this in the first 2 months after the change happened, now I really don't care much. They are kinda fun where they are, and you don't necessarily need to early-expand.

This just seems unnecessary.

9. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

You don`t build workers early. You...find them.
    If that fails, they can be bought.

10. supracseduch

supracseduch Warlord

Of course you can steal a worker from other civilizations or city-states but I avoid doing that as it feels like an exploit. There should be a warmonger penalty for capturing civilians too, not just for capturing cities.

And besides, if you plan to save up gold to purchase a worker, you won't get it until you've already researched 2 or 3 techs. So the fact that you researched The Wheel first to build roads is irrelevant. Therefore, pick something else to research first.

11. Funak

Funak Deity

I don't steal workers, I think it's way too cheezy. And sure buying them is what I usually do, but 200 gold is still 200 gold, you need like 2 gold-ruins to pay for that (especially now that you don't get gold for meeting city-states any longer).

12. Der_Zorn_gottes

Der_Zorn_gottes King

Clearing a camp also helps (archer defended camps can be taken with the starting warrior).

13. JungleBucks

JungleBucks Warlord

I dunno, I tend to snag a ton of workers from certain civs I go to war with. Getting a war penalty for each and every one sounds like it could accumulate HARD very quickly.

Stolen workers should have a period of resistance that makes them work slower until a certain number of turns have passed (time varying based on your level of influence at the time). It would help reduce cheese without destroying the viability of taking enemy workers, but I doubt something like that would be easy to program. :crazyeye:

14. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

I toyed with the idea of making civilians captured through war have the promotion 'enslaved' or 'forced labor' which would reduce their workrate, but decided against it.

G

15. Daya

Daya Chieftain

What about giving them a 'forced labor' promotion which replaces their gold-upkeep with a culture-upkeep? (if possible)

Historical reasoning: Since they are forced, you dont have to pay them; however slavery usually isnt considered to be very cultured

Gameplay reasoning: Could lead to interesting decisions of faster policy-advancement vs faster tile-improvement / slightly more gold. Both rather powerful things early in the game

16. Gazebo

There's no code support for culture maintenance.

G

17. Zanteogo

Zanteogo King

It's s good idea.

Perhaps even add a "slavery" ability to a soicial policy or UA that makes it so every time a city is melee'd there is a 50% chance it will be reduced by one pop and an enslaved worker will spawn? Now that would be cool.

18. Funak

Funak Deity

This is somewhat offtopic, but you're grazing on something that's almost connected to it so I'll mention it anyways.
    Gazebo, you've said that your goal in CPP was to have no features that only the player can use and not the AI. While I seriously don't think that is possible, it is a nice dream. However there is one feature where the AI have always had an advantage over the player in, for some reason and that it the fact that if they capture a Settler it does not get converted to a worker. I don't honestly understand why this is still the case and would love to see it go.

19. Gazebo

Eh? Explain?

G

20. Funak

Funak Deity

If a player capture an enemy settler it turns into a worker, if an AI catches a enemy settler it stays a settler.