Early vs Late Civ

shmoolie

Chieftain
When I play BTS I really enjoy the early stages of my civilizations a lot more than the later ones. I like the exploration, the way that founding new techs brings big rewards (e.g.Oracle). I also like the wide open spaces and the ability to settle areas and build out swaths.

I usually play huge maps and marathon speed. Is there a way to make the early parts of the game last longer? IOW, not just for me but for the AI's?

I agree with your sentiment 100%. I love the first half of every game about 300% more than the last half. Once all the terrain is explored I lose most interest and the only reason I finish my games is my fastidious nature that demands I finish what I start. I'm looking forward to any answers people give.

Ditto. I find the early game very compelling, and start gradually losing interest around Rifling.

Ditto. I find the early game very compelling, and start gradually losing interest around Rifling. Once I get into the later game, especially with a late war (I just hate moving all those units around and micro managing 20+ cities) I just find it interminable.

I find with BtS there is a lot more that keeps my interest, like corporations and the new units. fighting late game is a lot more fun to me too.

I think if players could use an improved city AI planning scheme that made micro-managing cities needless, gamers would find the later stages of the game just as fun. Even perhaps some advances to unit managing would also make modern warfare anticipated instead of avoided.

That said, I do enjoy the later stages but like most other poster seem to enjoy the early stages better. I think because the game slows down, becomes more repetitive and seems somewhat predictable. I generally know if I'm going to win or lose by rifling or so (most of my games are decided in the Medieval Era). Likewise, I usually can tell what victory I'm going to win with or at least make a decision on which victory I'm going with. When I lose, more often than not, it's because I can't defend an attack or can't get my finances in order before the Medieval Era.

player_13

i like the renaissance

I prefer the later stages.
I like building up a large powerful empire before crushing my enemies under the massive weight of my empire. So I like my (generally) far more militaristic late game.

I feel that, although exploration is fun, I tire of the early age because it is very repetitious: get Bronze Working, make a worker and extra warrior, etc. If you rush, it's usually with axes. It gets dull. I like to play a random leader and play against random Civs, so that I get to figure out who I'm up against early on, and that adds a little to the excitement.

My favorite is playing the Classical until the Renaissance. During this period, your civilization really develops and fleshes out, and the game becomes much more varied. The strategies are more varied in this part of the game, and you can start really working for a particular victory type.

I tend to finish my games in the Industrial era. Sometimes, I get to the early Modern, but rarely.

I can't stand the Modern Age. Perhaps its just a hold-over from Civ3, where the Modern Age was simply too painful to play, but I rarely get past the Industrial.

Playing in the modern age when you're neck-and-neck with the AI for victory is very enjoyable, since there are so many juicy ways to demolish your nearest competitor. I had a game in which Louis was closing in on a culture win, so I declared war on him and brought a cadre of friends to help me. Using just a strong air force, it was great fun adopting a scorched earth policy while the allies did the dirty work of capturing cities.

I can't stand the Modern Age. Perhaps its just a hold-over from Civ3, where the Modern Age was simply too painful to play, but I rarely get past the Industrial.

What painful problems we talking bout here in regards to late game civ3? You never got back to me Remember? ;)

ITs all the same late game civ4 for me. IM talkin lagalisious compared to civ3 Thats cuz I like huge maps 20 civs modded with plenty of other extras added in.

Early civ4 is all about exploring eye candy galore but even that seems a bore coming from refined mods with 1000 2d units falvourfied for culturally correct war

Best of all I like when I dock uncharted continents and am greeted by a mass of Subservient beings who are witness to weapons the likes of which they never seen;)
Spoiler :

Ether with civ4 or when I play on a better model called civ3 vassel sytems) the glorified expansion door

I like all eras really. I think I have more fun late in the game because most of my games don't last into the modern era so it's like something new eveytime I decide to let the world live past gunpowder. :)

Edit: Psst T.A. - See, I made a sig just for you :p

What painful problems we talking here in regards to late game civ3? You never got to me Remember ;)

ITs all the same late game civ4 for me. IM talkin lagalisious to no end. Thats cuz I like huge maps 20 civs modded with plenty of other extras added in.

Early civ4 is all about exploring eye candy galore but even that seems a bore coming from refined 2d
I like when I dock uncharted continents and am greeted by a mass of Subservients ;) ( on a better corruption model called civ3 vassel sytems)

I didn't respond because I don't feel like getting into a quote war. I hated the Civ3 endgame. Just hated it. I never played too many mods for Civ3, largely because incongruous graphics are a greater turnoff for me than cartoonish ones. And most fan-made mods tend to have that disadvantage. I greatly prefer the game systems of Civ4 to those of Civ3. That's it. No big surprise or greater truth here.

Besides, I don't bother with Huge maps anyway. I'd rather have more turns for maneuvering and such in Epic than have three times more cities to keep track of.

ANyway I respect what you say if you care, thats why I wanted your take on what I put there regards to the improved POL model . :)

PS: New units of today are actualy better then those of yesterday (2003-04) Its proven somewhere resolution is greater with Wrmshadow and agglo, Bjornlo etc,.. then factory standard.
For me my mod hate tendacy was towards Pedia enties left uncomplete. So when Pedia and graphics quality meet you got the hottest strategy sh#t to hit the street and their comes enough to carry you to civ5

SOme of which included is Medevil Mod where vassels made their proud showing Another is Anno Domini, only Beta but already glowing.
Balancer Reloaded is tops in unit look and in complete pedia book. FAr Horizons, Rood of Dragon etc the list is long and the graphics are strong bro. Youve just yet to get clued. Now Sadly, its the CIv4 paste-athon reskins that brings on the modin blues.

I also dislike the later part of the game - I had the same problem with Civ2, too.

I like big maps because I like exploring, finding new AIs, swapping maps, racing for circumnavigation (also, much like Civ2). I play marathon and large/huge maps (more to explore, more AIs to meet). And by the time I get to industrialization or so, it's just, well, tedious. There's a few dozen cities to manage and many dozen more units to move each turn. And because the map is so big, it takes forever to win by domination, let alone by spaceship.

As I've said before, I would love it if I could play the Ancient age at marathon speed, switch to normal speed at the Industrial age and Quick as I entered the Modern age. Or something like that. Might be too easy to exploit, though.

I like all eras really. I think I have more fun late in the game because most of my games don't last into the modern era so it's like something new eveytime I decide to let the world live past gunpowder. :)

Edit: Psst T.A. - See, I made a sig just for you :p

Thats awesome man. Coming along good to! :thumbsup: DOn't think I'll be puttin anything away just yet but will stay tuned to projects by the likes of you and others, who'll make my game far more then my money's worth!
Keep pressing on! Your in uncharted waters now. Who knows what you'll discover

Like Embyodead did n his quest for worry free no-corruption colonies oversea, this is leading to better epics for all players like you an me.

Peace out

All the eras are different and they are all fun but i like the medieval age the best because thats when i start fighting, i get a tech lead in early game and bash up the AI in late game, so i find late game pretty interesting

I like big maps because I like exploring, finding new AIs, swapping maps, racing for circumnavigation (also, much like Civ2). I play marathon and large/huge maps (more to explore, more AIs to meet). And by the time I get to industrialization or so, it's just, well, tedious. There's a few dozen cities to manage and many dozen more units to move each turn. And because the map is so big, it takes forever to win by domination, let alone by spaceship.

That sums it up right there. Late in the game I go and dedicate a city to mass producing units and every time it finishes I have to have it do something. I'd just like to be able to auto stack it along with all the others and then move them en masse. And not have to get re-directed back to that city each time.

Top Bottom